The Atheists will Guide

The Atheists will Guide

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
14 Apr 21

@FMF

I'll have to go find your answers.
Then I'll tell you what I think.

F

Moves
14 Apr 21
1 edit

@sonship said
It would be tragic that the spirit of a man in Hades finds himself going from what he thought was neutral to wishing, rooting, hoping Satan can delay the last Judgement. This would be hoping for the Devil's success.
Why would an atheist be thinking about "wishing, rooting, hoping" that a supernatural/literary figure like this "Satan" [who just so happens to appeal to your imagination and who the atheist has no reason to believe exists] will take certain actions in "Hades"?

F

Moves
14 Apr 21

@sonship said
I'll have to go find your answers.
Then I'll tell you what I think.
That's not what I asked you. I didn't ask you about what you think of my answers. You asked me to answer two questions. Here they are:

On what basis did the nations have any right to conduct the Nuremberg trials against the former Nazis?

What gave other communities the authority to pass judgment on the Nazis that their community committed crimes against humanity?

And I answered them. So, now, I am asking you, what is YOUR answer to those two questions.

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
14 Apr 21
1 edit

F

Moves
14 Apr 21

@sonship said
I'll tell you what. If I find out that there was NO RESURRECTION OF CHRIST in the end, I will have no regrets. Because this hope was the best possible life I could have lived anyway.

I get this. This is why I think, if your religion gives you comfort in the face of death, and structure and meaning in your life, so be it.

F

Moves
14 Apr 21
1 edit

@sonship said
I'll tell you what. If I find out that there was NO RESURRECTION OF CHRIST in the end, I will have no regrets. Because this hope was the best possible life I could have lived anyway.
However, if death is the end, as I believe it is, and it's a possibility you are entertaining with your words above, you won't be conscious anymore and you won't realize or "find out that there was NO RESURRECTION OF CHRIST in the end".

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
14 Apr 21
2 edits

@bigdoggproblem said
[youtube The refutation of Sonship's argument]7TruhoFdFfg[/youtube]
Thanks for the guilty dog videos.
I thought about my own experiences with my own pet dog as a youth.
Once he growled at me and latter surprised me by looking like he was almost apologizing.

Was that dog feeling guilty ?
I don't know. Maybe so.

I do think sometimes what we see in a scared dog is not guilt but reaction to the displeasure the animal perceives in us.

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
14 Apr 21
6 edits

@FMF
Replies maybe out of sequence.

Well, not believing in a supernatural being called "Satan" is absolutely crucial to answering your OP head-on. Wave it away dismissively at your own discursive peril. If all you have to offer is SATAN DOES IT, then why are you directing your question about morality to people who do not believe "Satan" exists?

The Bible does say in effect "satan does it". But it holds the infested host victim of satan responsible too.

Comedian Flip Wilson made lots of people laugh with his "The Devil made me do that." But reading of the Bible shows "The Devil made me do it" is somehow not an excuse to absolve us of responsibility. We still need forgiveness of sins and liberation from its power through Jesus Christ.

This responsibility to repent is especially true when we are told we need Christ who has come to destroy the works of the Devil in us and we prefer that He not interfere.

ENGLAND

Moves
14 Apr 21

@kevin-eleven said
Son of the West, when someone like you seeks something more interesting, the correct way is to become less interesting.
Perhaps sometime in the next few decades you will see the truth of this yourself.
Don’t give up on me Dad.

Misfit Queen

Isle of Misfit Toys

Moves
14 Apr 21

@fmf said
In page 4 of this thread, your clubmate accused me of wanting to make people commit suicide. Do you endorse that accusation?
So I was right.

No point too low.

How dare you ask me that.

Do you realize I started a suicide hotline in my senior year at college? No, of course you don't. You care for nothing but yourself.

Misfit Queen

Isle of Misfit Toys

Moves
14 Apr 21

@rajk999 said
And your girlfriend dumped a nice girl like you.
What a loser she is.
Spare me your hollow platitudes.

a
Not actually a cat

The Flat Earth

Moves
14 Apr 21
1 edit

@bunnyknight said
A cannibalistic serial killer is basically a cat or a dog -- man's best friends!

But if I saw a human killing and eating children in my neighborhood, my reaction would be to remove them permanently. The next step would be to remove the conditions that cause a person to become a killer to prevent or minimize this from happening again.
The case that immediately springs to mind is that of Dennis Neilson. While his childhood was certainly not perfect, he was not subjected to conditions particularly unusual for the time. His actions later in life, however, certainly seem to have a quality that might be reasonably considered 'evil', don't you think? Apart from his deeply unsavoury (see what I did there?) predilections, he did not demonstrate obvious insanity. Do you not think the term 'evil' could be applied to a man like this?

F

Moves
14 Apr 21

@suzianne said
So I was right.

No point too low.

Do you realize I started a suicide hotline in my senior year at college? No, of course you don't. You care for nothing but yourself.
"Right" about what?

F

Moves
14 Apr 21
1 edit

@suzianne said

You can criticize Kevin Eleven for his comments about suicide if you want. You seem to be criticizing me for them.

Secret RHP coder

on the payroll

Moves
14 Apr 21
2 edits

@sonship said
Thanks for the guilty dog videos.
I thought about my own experiences with my own pet dog as a youth.
Once he growled at me and latter surprised me by looking like he was almost apologizing.

Was that dog feeling guilty ?
I don't know. Maybe so.

I do think sometimes what we see in a scared dog is not guilt but reaction to the displeasure the animal perceives in us.
Speaking as a human, I can admit that my own feelings of guilt are often made worse by the displeasure that others show to me! I should think that it is a common component of guilt.

I've felt guilt merely by imaging the potential displeasure of others. Who among us hasn't done a bad thing and then realized that it's going to make someone unhappy, and felt guilty?