1. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    13 Apr '21 00:391 edit
    Ghost, FMF, and avalanchethecat are three atheists on the Forum.

I invite them here to explain why all men and women too often CANNOT carry out the good that they know to do or CANNOT stop the evil that they know they should not do.

Get ready for their wisdom.
    Go fellas.

Why do human beings commit things against their conscience and fail to resist what their conscience does not approve of?

FMF, why don't you take the lead to guide the readers why?
  2. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    13 Apr '21 00:441 edit
    @sonship said
    Why do human beings commit things against their conscience and fail to resist what their conscience does not approve of.
    Because of weakness in their character. Because their moral compass misguides them or is not strong enough to keep them true to what that compass determines is morally sound. Broadly speaking, it is human nature; and the moral undulations and contradictions in everyday life are called the human condition. I have no credible reason to believe there is any supernatural aspect to this, and I do not believe there is a supernatural being called "Satan".
  3. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    13 Apr '21 00:48
    @sonship said
    Why do human beings commit things against their conscience and fail to resist what their conscience does not approve of?
    I take it you believe that human beings commit things against their conscience because of a supernatural being called "The Devil" or "Satan".
  4. Joined
    06 May '15
    Moves
    13 Apr '21 00:50
    It's a vasty cosmos, and our little neural nets and cat's cradles of thoughts are but local specks in the grandeur of existence.
  5. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    13 Apr '21 01:181 edit
    @sonship said
    Ghost, FMF, and avalanchethecat are three atheists on the Forum.I invite them here to explain why all men and women too often CANNOT carry out the good that they know to do or CANNOT stop the evil that they know they should not do.

Why only atheists?

Don’t you ever “commit things which are against your conscience and fail to resist what your conscience does not approx every of”?
  6. Joined
    06 May '15
    Moves
    13 Apr '21 01:212 edits
    @fmf said
    I take it you believe that human beings commit things against their conscience because of a supernatural being called "The Devil" or "Satan".
    I suspect that you might be suffering from Boring Hamster Playground Syndrome, but in that case I would commiserate about exacerbation of Online Disinhibition Syndrome.

You seem to ask a lot of questions and make many surmises about other people, but what do you, from your "heart of hearts" or your "deep soul mind" (or whatever -- let's just say from your provisional ethical core) wish to share with us other hurtable and perishable peeps for the sake of spiritual guidance?
  7. Joined
    06 May '15
    Moves
    13 Apr '21 01:26
    @divegeester said
    Why only atheists?

Don’t you ever commit things which are against your conscience and fail to resist what your conscience does not approx every of”?
    Why is it always two against one with FMF and you? Don't you think FMF can handle his side of whatever debate, or do you just like to bask in the glow of borrowed importance?
  8. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    13 Apr '21 01:281 edit
    @divegeester
    Don’t you ever commit things which are against your conscience and fail to resist what your conscience does not approx every of”?

Leave it to you to erect the first strawman argument.

When did I say I was exempt from the dilemma?
    On the contrary.
    I respond to the good news of the Gospel with repentance and turning to a Savior.
  9. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    13 Apr '21 01:32
    @sonship said
    FMF, why don't you take the lead to guide the readers why?
    I have done so.

And now?
  10. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    13 Apr '21 01:361 edit
    @sonship said
    @divegeester
    Leave it to you to erect the first strawman argument.
    When did I say I was exempt from the dilemma?
    On the contrary.
    I respond to the good news of the Gospel with repentance and turning to a Savior.
    It’s not a “straw man” and it’s not an “argument”, nor did I say you were “exempt from the dilemma”. Your OP doesn’t contain a “dilemma” by the way.
  11. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    13 Apr '21 01:39
    While I await the other two eloquent atheists to either confirm or enhance FMF's start, I tried a number of reactions to the problem sinning.

1.) I tried bribing my conscience by doing something else somewhere else good.

2.) I tried embracing the delimma as progressive and even a matter of pride.
    "Wicked and darn proud of it."

3.) I tried doing better.

4.) I tried justifying myself by reasoning "At least I am not as bad as THAT other guy over there."

5.) I tried suppressing lust, angers, jealousy, and other bad habits in the mind and in the body.

6.) I tried believing I was just an animal anyway. Thanks Charles Darwin.

7.) I tried saying God has nothing to say about it because, after all, who knows who Cain married?

8.) Then I tried opening my heart and telling Jesus that I was TIRED and I wanted Him to TAKE me to Himself.

Things made a definite turn for the better.
    ----------------------------------------------

But this thread is not about my testimonial. Ghost, FMF, and avalanchethecat are going to guide us as to how atheism explains this sinning nature.

They will use their own vocabulary most likely.
  12. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    13 Apr '21 01:40
    @sonship said
    But this thread is not about my testimonial. Ghost, FMF, and avalanchethecat are going to guide us as to how atheism explains this sinning nature.
    So why have you ignored my answer to your OP?
  13. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    13 Apr '21 01:46
    @divegeester

I explained the problem. And you chime in - like "Has it never happened to you?"

Strawman argument - go after sonship's hypocrisy.

Missing the mark is my experience too.
    You knew I would claim that.

The OP's question:

Maverick Unitarians can give it a shot as well.
    But I was mainly looking for atheist guidance.
    One of them said certainly I as a Christian was misguided by people.
  14. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    13 Apr '21 01:481 edit
    @sonship said
    The OP's question:

But I was mainly looking for atheist guidance.
    You posed the question to me. Specifically. And you have ignored my answer. Why?
  15. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    13 Apr '21 01:541 edit
    @FMF
    Because of weakness in their character. Because their moral compass misguides them or is not strong enough to keep them true to what that compass determines is morally sound.

Why should not the moral compass and the moral behavior be in perfect sync?

What has happened that moral compass and moral behavior are out of sync in people?

Broadly speaking, it is human nature; and the moral undulations and contradictions in everyday life are called the human condition.

It doesn't seem to bother all the other living things on earth as far as I can tell.

I knew of dog that stole a guy's lunch and eat it up on the job.
    That dog wasn't bothered in the least by its conscience.

It may have looked scared in the face of an angry worker whose lunch it ate.
    But no moral compass told the dog it was wrong to steal the man's lunch.

Why does the moral compass of human beings so often raise the alarm about our moral choices and actions?

I have no credible reason to believe there is any supernatural aspect to this, and I do not believe there is a supernatural being called "Satan".

You told me what you don't believe.
    Tell me with your purely "natural" universe of typical atheistic materialism why the moral compass and the moral behavior of people is so often out of synchronization.;

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree