Religious quandary

Religious quandary

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

F

Moves
21 Feb 16

Originally posted by Startreader
Remember, I asked you to cite where you consider me to have attacked him.
Are you seriously suggesting that you don't feel as if you attack divegeester? I'm wondering if you have your tongue in your cheek.

F

Moves
21 Feb 16

It has not been my intention to attack [divegeester].
So you attacked him unintentionally, is that what you mean?

D
Losing the Thread

Quarantined World

Moves
21 Feb 16

I doubt it. Suzianne, perhaps. I don't know her beliefs, nor josephw's. Divegeester appears to believe a creed i don't recognise. It seems improbable that he and I would believe the same.

Are you hoping to trip me up on some inconsistency?
Suzianne's an Episcopalian, josephw I don't know but some sort of Protestant since he complained about me calling St. Paul a saint, Divegeester disagrees with organised religion so I suppose you could call him a Nonconformist. I'm an agnostic, what that means tends to depend on who I'm arguing with...

Walk your Faith

USA

Moves
21 Feb 16

And those who have never heard of him or have not yet understood about him, or who are subjected to intense pressure, by society and circumstance, not even to learn about him?
Yes, which is why spreading the Word is so important, there is only one way.

Walk your Faith

USA

Moves
21 Feb 16

And those who have never heard of him or have not yet understood about him, or who are subjected to intense pressure, by society and circumstance, not even to learn about him?
Are you looking for something fair or just?

F

Moves
21 Feb 16

Please would you cite where you consider me to have attacked Divegeester?
robbie carrobie has stated that divegeester seems to be "a friend of the world and an enemy of God". Do you agree with robbie or do you think his comment goes to far?

Moves
25 Feb 16

Originally posted by KellyJay
Jesus said that He is the Way, the Truth, the Light and no one comes to the Father, but
by Him so no, according to Jesus no one will be.

John 14:6
Jesus said to him, “I am the way, and the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me.
what about the people who did gods work before the birth of jesus, did they also need to know jesus?

The Ghost Chamber

Moves
25 Feb 16
1 edit

Originally posted by KellyJay
Yes, which is why spreading the Word is so important, there is only one way.
Have always had a problem with this notion of there being 'only one way.'

I think there are 'many paths up a mountain' and that if an omniscient God truly exists he would be fully aware of this. If you want to save as many people as possible, why only open one door, especially when many souls are far away from that door and may not even know of its existence? And why would an omniscient God be reliant on mortal beings to tell other mortal beings where this single doorway is located?

Walk your Faith

USA

Moves
26 Feb 16

Originally posted by Ghost of a Duke
Have always had a problem with this notion of there being 'only one way.'

I think there are 'many paths up a mountain' and that if an omniscient God truly exists he would be fully aware of this. If you want to save as many people as possible, why only open one door, especially when many souls are far away from that door and may not even know of it ...[text shortened]... od be reliant on mortal beings to tell other mortal beings where this single doorway is located?
Well it isn't like we cannot all create our own paths to God, the goal is to reach God and
for that God reached down to man through Jesus Christ since none of our efforts could
do it.

As you point out God being omniscient would know if all the requirements for Him are
met and if any is lacking anywhere. Once He saw we could never on our own reach Him
He reached us in such a way that redeemed us while we were yet sinners, NOT while
we were good enough.

Walk your Faith

USA

Moves
26 Feb 16

Originally posted by stellspalfie
what about the people who did gods work before the birth of jesus, did they also need to know jesus?
Yes

Fighting for men’s

right to have babies

Moves
26 Feb 16

I also believe in Purgatory, a temporary state where some will be able to expurgate their sins.
How do you account for:

Hebrews 9:27
“And as it is appointed unto men once to die, but after this the judgment:”

I believe the teaching of purgatory to be error. Furthermore no one can expurgate their own sin.

Fighting for men’s

right to have babies

Moves
26 Feb 16

What I personally believe matters only to me and God. And what I believe is according to my understanding, always knowing and trusting that it will be God who decides and judges.
I disagree. What we believe affects our actions and therefore impacts what those around us see and believe.

The teaching of eternal suffering, which you seem to be comfortable if equivocal with, is probably the single most horrendous notion a human being could contour up. It puts Christ on an infinitely worse moral platform than religious terrorists and is totally against the natur of God as revealed in the rest of scripture.

Fighting for men’s

right to have babies

Moves
26 Feb 16

Further, I believe in the One Holy Catholic and Apostolic Church and you'll find my beliefs in its teachings and the Nicene Creed.

Beyond that, these are things one constantly considers deeply and discusses regularly. And we learn afresh every day.

This is all I can say on this matter.
According to your belief, can anyone who is either not a subscriber to the teachings of your church nor a member of it, be a true Christian?

Fighting for men’s

right to have babies

Moves
26 Feb 16

Please would you cite where you consider me to have attacked Divegeester?
Page 193 of the Memo thread where you called me, among other things a "systematic torturer". Later in the thread you called me an "actual sadist".

Fighting for men’s

right to have babies

Moves
26 Feb 16
1 edit

And sorry, I'm "taking my ball" and leaving your game.
This is a debate Startreader. 🙂