Prayer & being between a rock and a hard place

Prayer & being between a rock and a hard place

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
03 Jan 22

@fmf said
avalanchethecat's post was near the bottom of page 2. I think his comment was very apposite given the things you said on those first two pages.
He completely misunderstood the point, which, sadly, is par for the course for him

F

Moves
03 Jan 22

@pb1022 said
Oh, come on.

That sounds utterly, completely and blatantly false.

And utterly, completely and blatantly selfish.

You’re watching a close relative die and your thoughts are about yourself? That’s obscene.
What makes you say my thoughts were about myself in that hospital room?

F

Moves
03 Jan 22

@pb1022 said
He completely misunderstood the point, which, sadly, is par for the course for him
I'd say he understood your "point" on the first two pages very well indeed and his comment was a sharp and telling observation.

a
Not actually a cat

The Flat Earth

Moves
03 Jan 22

@pb1022 said
You totally misunderstood my point. Read further in the thread if you’re interested in understanding what it was - since you didn’t catch it the first time.
I understood exactly what you were saying. I wonder if you understood exactly what you were saying about yourself when you said it?

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
03 Jan 22

@fmf said
The person about to die was unconscious.
I’m sorry to hear that. It’s always better, in my opinion, to be able to say goodbye.

Maybe as a thought experiment pretend someone else close to you was not unconscious and about to die. Do you think your thoughts, emotions and feelings would be the same as that person’s?

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
03 Jan 22

@divegeester said
You are now misrepresenting what FMF said.
I don’t think I am.

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
03 Jan 22

@fmf said
What makes you say my thoughts were about myself in that hospital room?
Because that’s what you said in this thread and it’s all you’ve been talking about in this thread.

F

Moves
03 Jan 22

@pb1022 said
Maybe as a thought experiment pretend someone else close to you was not unconscious and about to die. Do you think your thoughts, emotions and feelings would be the same as that person’s?
I would have gone through the same feeling of jeopardy ~ the one that was worse than the thought of me losing my own life. Perhaps there is no one in your life you love so much that you would lay your life down to save them if you could. Maybe you just haven't had the life experience necessary to empathize with the feeling of jeopardy I am describing.

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
03 Jan 22

@avalanchethecat said
I understood exactly what you were saying. I wonder if you understood exactly what you were saying about yourself when you said it?
So you think someone who is about to die has the same thoughts, feelings, anxiety, emotions and fear as someone who is not about to confront the afterlife?

I realize you’ll never admit you’re wrong.

But I also realize we both know you are.

You misunderstood my point and are now desperately - and dishonestly - trying to pretend you didn’t.

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
03 Jan 22

@fmf said
I would have gone through the same feeling of jeopardy ~ the one that was worse than the thought of me losing my own life. Perhaps there is no one in your life you love so much that you would lay your life down to save them if you could. Maybe you just haven't had the life experience necessary to empathize with the feeling of jeopardy I am describing.
Your feeling of jeopardy is not at all the same as the feeling of jeopardy someone about to die feels.

To claim otherwise is blatantly false and blatantly ridiculous.

F

Moves
03 Jan 22

@pb1022 said
Because that’s what you said in this thread and it’s all you’ve been talking about in this thread.
You are mistaken. You described my experience in that hospital room as "utterly, completely and blatantly selfish" and you asserted that as I watched her lying at death's door my thoughts were about myself. You called it obscene. But it's simply something you have projected onto the tragedy for some reason.

F

Moves
03 Jan 22

@pb1022 said
Your feeling of jeopardy is not at all the same as the feeling of jeopardy someone about to die feels.To claim otherwise is blatantly false and blatantly ridiculous.
I am not saying it was "the same".

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
03 Jan 22

@fmf said
You are mistaken. You described my experience in that hospital room as "utterly, completely and blatantly selfish" and you asserted that as I watched her lying at death's door my thoughts were about myself. You called it obscene. But it's simply something you have projected onto the tragedy for some reason.
Ok, well people can interpret your OP however they want. I gave my interpretation and the reasons for it.

I’m not going to keep saying the same thing over and over. I’ll let your OP and subsequent posts speak for themselves.

F

Moves
03 Jan 22

@pb1022 said
So you think someone who is about to die has the same thoughts, feelings, anxiety, emotions and fear as someone who is not about to confront the afterlife?
You didn't mention "the afterlife" until halfway down page three. avalanchethecat was responding to what you posted on the first two pages.

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
03 Jan 22

@fmf said
I am not saying it was "the same".
You compared yourself to an atheist in a foxhole - someone who is about to die or thinks he is.

You made that obscene comparison. I didn’t.