Prayer & being between a rock and a hard place

Prayer & being between a rock and a hard place

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

F

Moves
03 Jan 22
1 edit

@pb1022 said
You think the world revolves around you, don’t you? Quite an ego you have.
I don't think the world revolves around me at all. But my relationship with each member of this community with whom I debate and discuss beliefs DOES revolve around the beliefs each has espoused to me and the beliefs I have espoused to each of them.

F

Moves
03 Jan 22

@pb1022 said
And it’s very obvious.you’re being blatantly dishonest.
Then maybe you ought not to be talking to me about the personal information I have revealed regarding that recent near-death experience in my family.

Walk your Faith

USA

Moves
03 Jan 22

@fmf said
sonship has brandished the “There are no atheists in foxholes” adage frequently, often as a go-to debating point when he found my lack of belief an affront. Sometimes he’d claim that I really wasn't an atheist but that I just claimed to not be a believer because I was "angry" at Jesus for making me accountable for my "wickedness".

Having said that, I think there are atheists ...[text shortened]... Have any of the agnostics or atheists on this forum ever had their lack [or loss] of belief tested?
Well, I hope it went well for them. I've been there in the hospital watching loved ones too, did pray, and it didn't go as I would have liked. This year I spent a large portion of in the hospital myself, did pray, I'm here still. Does that mean God likes me better than those that didn't live? No, things that happen to us are common to all people when we all experience good and bad things in life? Believing in God or not will not change any of that; I think disbelieving or rejecting God only does one thing in that equation: remove the hope we can have in this life because none of us are promised tomorrow.

Fighting for men’s

right to have babies

Moves
03 Jan 22

@pb1022 said
No way. Try as you might - to equate you on the verge of losing your own life to you watching a close relative on the verge of losing his/her life is a false comparison by a country mile.
How can you be certain of assertion?

Fighting for men’s

right to have babies

Moves
03 Jan 22

@pb1022 said
Stop being so melodramatic. The fate of the world doesn’t hinge on whether you say a prayer
Why are you bringing “the fate of the world” into this.

How odd.

Fighting for men’s

right to have babies

Moves
03 Jan 22

@pb1022 said
No one - and I mean no one - when their very own life is in jeopardy and on the verge of being lost reacts the same way and has the same feelings as to when a close relative’s life is about to be lost.

You know it, and I know it.

Stop being ridiculous.
You are speaking on behalf of the entire global population of this planet?

Fighting for men’s

right to have babies

Moves
03 Jan 22
1 edit

@pb1022 said
Right.

But you’d hardly know it from this post of yours, navel gazer:

<<What a momentous thing ~ what a game-changer ~ it would have been, in light of all the views I have espoused and propagated sincerely here on this forum over the last decade or so, if I had prayed that night.>>
Are you intent on downshifting fully into Romans1009 mode or will you just be being obnoxious for a page or two?

Fighting for men’s

right to have babies

Moves
03 Jan 22

@pb1022 said
You’re being blatantly dishonest if you’re claiming the impending death of a relative and *your* impending death have the same effect on you.

And it’s very obvious.you’re being blatantly dishonest.
Do you feel that it is impossible for a person to value more of the life of another than their own?

Fighting for men’s

right to have babies

Moves
03 Jan 22
1 edit

@pb1022 said
You think the world revolves around you, don’t you? Quite an ego you have.
You seem to have gotten yourself into quite a tizzy.

F

Moves
03 Jan 22

@kellyjay said
Well, I hope it went well for them. I've been there in the hospital watching loved ones too, did pray, and it didn't go as I would have liked. This year I spent a large portion of in the hospital myself, did pray, I'm here still. Does that mean God likes me better than those that didn't live? No, things that happen to us are common to all people when we all experience good a ...[text shortened]... in that equation: remove the hope we can have in this life because none of us are promised tomorrow.
Thank you for sharing, but my personal testimony in the OP was in no shape or form intended to be about my thoughts on the efficacy of prayer. Your response makes me think that you think it was.

Walk your Faith

USA

Moves
03 Jan 22

@fmf said
Thank you for sharing, but my personal testimony in the OP was in no shape or form intended to be about my thoughts on the efficacy of prayer. Your response makes me think that you think it was.
I took your sharing to be sort of a victory lap of sorts for not yielding to the need for prayer, nothing more than that. Since hospitals have been huge for me this year, and my past in them, I just gave my two cents, nothing more than that.

a
Not actually a cat

The Flat Earth

Moves
03 Jan 22

@pb1022 said
The obvious difference is the atheist in the foxhole has *his life* in jeopardy. You did not. One of your relative’s lives was in jeopardy - yours wasn’t.

It doesn’t matter how close you are to your relative, it’s not an apples-to-apples comparison.

And I hope your relative is Ok.
From this post one can conclude that you don't have children, a loving life partner, or a very good relationship with your family. Hands up everyone who's surprised...

F

Moves
03 Jan 22

@kellyjay said
I took your sharing to be sort of a victory lap of sorts for not yielding to the need for prayer, nothing more than that.
No. Not "a victory lap". Not at all.

Whoosh

F

Moves
03 Jan 22

@kellyjay said
Since hospitals have been huge for me this year, and my past in them, I just gave my two cents, nothing more than that.
Your two cents' worth was about as trite an interpretation of what my OP meant as you could have mustered. Oh well. And I am sorry that hospitals have been huge for you this year.

Walk your Faith

USA

Moves
03 Jan 22

@fmf said
No. Not "a victory lap". Not at all.

Whoosh
Okay, remind me that just attempting to have a normal conversation with will always be judged.