Prayer & being between a rock and a hard place

Prayer & being between a rock and a hard place

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Moves
03 Jan 22

@pb1022 said

But unless new information is presented, I don’t see the need to continue posting in here so I’ll leave off. I’ve stated my opinion and the reason for it and see no purpose in saying the same thing over and over again.
Your words are like goldfish scribbles in a cloudy tank, so that's fine.

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
03 Jan 22

@kevin-eleven said
Your words are like goldfish scribbles in a cloudy tank, so that's fine.
To you, I have no doubt that’s true.

Moves
03 Jan 22

@pb1022 said
May I ask if you’re this obnoxious to people in real life or only when you’re hiding in anonymity and the safety of your home?
Yes, you may.

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
03 Jan 22

@kevin-eleven said
Yes, you may.
Are you this obnoxious to people in real life or only when you’re hiding in anonymity and the safety of your home?

Moves
03 Jan 22

@pb1022 said
Are you this obnoxious to people in real life or only when you’re hiding in anonymity and the safety of your home?
Please define "obnoxious".

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
03 Jan 22

@kevin-eleven said
Please define "obnoxious".
Offensive - as you’re being now in pretending you don’t know what a word means and but simply want to jerk someone around.

Do your own jerking. I’m not interested.

Moves
03 Jan 22

@pb1022 said
Offensive - as you’re being now in pretending you don’t know what a word means and but simply want to jerk someone around.

Do your own jerking. I’m not interested.
Peace be with you, and to all who have to deal with you.

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
03 Jan 22

@kevin-eleven said
Peace be with you, and to all who have to deal with you.
👋

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
03 Jan 22

Something else I think is worth considering here, and I won’t personalize this since one person wrongly thinks I’m “bashing” FMF, but I’ll state it generically.

If an atheist is watching a loved one potentially die and refuses to say a prayer for that loved one, is not the atheist placing his own atheism above the interests of his loved one?

If I were an atheist and thought there was even a 0.1% chance of God existing, I would say a prayer. I would figure, “What can it hurt? On the off-chance God exists, He will hear my prayer and perhaps have mercy on me and my loved one. If He doesn’t exist, then I’m simply speaking words to no one.”

This is why I think (for many) atheism is not about thinking or believing God doesn’t exist. It’s about a hatred for God that was borne (perhaps) by a tragedy in someone’s life.

I think the reason the saying “There are no atheists in foxholes” is true is because genuine atheists, those who believe God doesn’t exist, know they can’t be and aren’t 100% certain of that. And so, when facing death, they say a prayer on the off chance God does exist because they figure, “What can it hurt?”

Moves
03 Jan 22

@pb1022 said
Offensive
Offensive to whom?

Moves
03 Jan 22

@pb1022 said
Something else I think is worth considering here
Therefore probably not worth anyone else's consideration.

F

Moves
03 Jan 22

@pb1022 said
I think the reason the saying “There are no atheists in foxholes” is true is because genuine atheists, those who believe God doesn’t exist, know they can’t be and aren’t 100% certain of that.
Do you really think what you call "genuine atheists" can't be "100% certain" about their belief that God doesn’t exist?

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
03 Jan 22

@kevin-eleven said
Therefore probably not worth anyone else's consideration.
Why do you troll so much in here?

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
03 Jan 22

@fmf said
Do you really think what you call "genuine atheists" can't be "100% certain" about their belief that God doesn’t exist?
Yes, I really do think that.

If God could be disproven, you would have a point.

But He can’t be disproven, so you don’t.

F

Moves
03 Jan 22

@pb1022 said
If an atheist is watching a loved one potentially die and refuses to say a prayer for that loved one, is not the atheist placing his own atheism above the interests of his loved one?
To which version of a possible creator entity would an atheist be supposed to pray in order for you to adjudicate that he wasn't placing his own interests above those of a dying life-partner? Some of your comments make you sound like you have never interacted with non-believers before.