Prayer & being between a rock and a hard place

Prayer & being between a rock and a hard place

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
04 Jan 22

@fmf said
"Heartfelt prayer"?

The very point of the OP is that, looking back, even in those dire circumstances, in the foxhole so to speak, my lack of belief in the Christian God was confirmed.
Yes, heartfelt. Because he’s desperate to save his loved one and would do anything for her - even compromise his atheism.

And, imo, your lack of belief trumped everything else. You weren’t the only one in that hospital room. And what you and your loved one went through wasn’t a test of your atheism.

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
04 Jan 22

@fmf said
"Hard" or "explicit" atheists are certain that God doesn't exist. That you don't feel they have justified their disbelief to you, or convinced you that they are 100% certain, is neither here nor there.
No one can be certain God does not exist.

To claim otherwise is ridiculous.

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
04 Jan 22

@kevin-eleven said
This seems like an arbitrarily binary test:

"Believe exactly as I do, or there will be horrible consequences for you that I (@pb1022) might smugly enjoy."

In addition to the God of Slow Cooking and the God of the Magic Crystal Tank, I also believe in the God of the Mixed Bag.

What say you now, you punitive purity creep?

If you are a troll who only presents h ...[text shortened]... that your understanding of the value and benefit of Christianity in other people's lives is stunted.
This post is just a disorganized, dishonest and jumbled mess.

Says a lot about that “brain” that produced it 😉

F

Moves
04 Jan 22

@pb1022 said
No one can be certain God does not exist.

To claim otherwise is ridiculous.
I've met many, many people who are certain that God does not exist, and you believing their claims to be "ridiculous" has no bearing on it. Just as I have met many Christians who are certain their God figure exists.

Moves
04 Jan 22

@pb1022 said
This post is just a disorganized, dishonest and jumbled mess.

Says a lot about that “brain” that produced it 😉
Not to read your chart from afar, but one guess would be that your first house is largely Aries, with Uranus approaching the Ascendant.

F

Moves
04 Jan 22

@pb1022 said
You weren’t the only one in that hospital room. And what you and your loved one went through wasn’t a test of your atheism.
Well, you say the experience did not put my lack of belief to the test, but I think it did.

F

Moves
04 Jan 22

@pb1022 said
Yes, heartfelt. Because he’s desperate to save his loved one and would do anything for her - even compromise his atheism.
What does to "compromise" a lack of belief mean exactly?

Moves
04 Jan 22
1 edit

Could we backtrack to get definitions for "heartfelt" and "prayer"?

Or are definitions the problem?

Do the condensates and the particulars cause more problems than the diffuse and the effusive?

F

Moves
04 Jan 22

@pb1022 said
Because an atheist watching a loved one potentially die and realizing how helpless he is to help her, yet desperately wanting to help her, would likely (imo) summon the smidgen of faith necessary to realize his lack of belief in God may be incorrect and therefore, based on that smidgen of faith, say a short, heartfelt prayer in a state of desperation and as a means of last resort.
This perspective on a lack of belief reminds me of sonship's "mouth worship" ideology. He has been urging atheists here, for years, to pray to his particular God figure asking for the "miracle of faith" and chanting "Oh Lord!" three times or ten times, or however many times it is.

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
04 Jan 22

@fmf said
I've met many, many people who are certain that God does not exist, and you believing their claims to be "ridiculous" has no bearing on it. Just as I have met many Christians who are certain their God figure exists.
No, you’ve met many people who are *nearly* certain God does not exist or who have falsely told you they are certain God does not exist.

But I’m no longer willing to argue your nonsensical and absurd position that God either can be disproven or that one can know for certain that God does not exist.

F

Moves
04 Jan 22

@pb1022 said
No, you’ve met many people who are *nearly* certain God does not exist or who have falsely told you they are certain God does not exist.
I think you are mistaken about this.

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
04 Jan 22

@fmf said
Well, you say the experience did not put my lack of belief to the test, but I think it did.
I have no doubt you think it did.

But in that situation you described in the OP, I think it’s tragic that your atheism, for you, trumped everything else and that you viewed that situation as a test of your atheism.

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
04 Jan 22

@fmf said
What does to "compromise" a lack of belief mean exactly?
To acknowledge your atheism might be in error - even if the chance of it being in error is only 0.01%

F

Moves
04 Jan 22

@pb1022 said
I’m no longer willing to argue your nonsensical and absurd position that God either can be disproven or that one can know for certain that God does not exist.
What I am "arguing" is that your stance ~ that the certainty of atheists regarding what they believe [or not believe] is "nonsensical and absurd" ~ has no bearing whatsoever on how certain about their beliefs.

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
04 Jan 22

@fmf said
This perspective on a lack of belief reminds me of sonship's "mouth worship" ideology. He has been urging atheists here, for years, to pray to his particular God figure asking for the "miracle of faith" and chanting "Oh Lord!" three times or ten times, or however many times it is.
Why you’re bringing someone else’s thoughts and posts into our discussion is obvious.

You realize your position is busted and you’re trying to change the subject. I’m not willing to follow you down a side path because you’re desperate to get off the main one.

Is what you posted here evidence of you “confronting my post head-on” as you’re so fond of saying?