Lying - A social necessity?

Lying - A social necessity?

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Moves
17 Mar 18

Originally posted by @romans1009
I never considered all atheists as theologically lazy. Certainly many are, but the same could be said for believers. I obviously can’t speak for all religions but I think the Resurrection of Jesus Christ can be accepted on an intellectual level but such an acceptance goes nowhere unless it transfers from the head to the heart.
I can't argue with that.

Über-Nerd

Moves
17 Mar 18

Originally posted by @ghost-of-a-duke
Well old chap, was over 20 years ago (Thinkofone doesn't like me talking about it).

Is it okay to refer to a Cardinal as old chap?
"Your Eminence" is the proper form of address, old chap, but between old chappies, "old chap" will do.

Über-Nerd

Moves
17 Mar 18

Originally posted by @freakykbh
... I look fine, thanks.
Nice avatar.

F

Unknown Territories

Moves
17 Mar 18

Originally posted by @moonbus
Nice avatar.
Far more relevance than I was originally inclined to acknowledge.
Ironic that it was my original avatar from nearly 13 years ago!

Moves
17 Mar 18

Originally posted by @suzianne
Deceit is not just lying, and also, not every lie is the product of deceit. I think most people realize this once they get well into adulthood, while others just cling to what they think proves they are better than someone else.

It's actually relatively easy to spot liars.

They're the ones claiming that they never lie. Simple.
Indeed.

I also think the 10 Commandments have been misunderstood on the theme of lying. People (from memory) often reel off 'thou shall not kill, thou shall not steal, thou shall not lie etc,' whereas the commandment actually says, 'Do not give false witness against your neighbor.'

Hardly a ringing condemnation of lying, suggesting even God recognised that lying was a moral grey area.

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
17 Mar 18

Indeed.

I also think the 10 Commandments have been misunderstood on the theme of lying. People (from memory) often reel off 'thou shall not kill, thou shall not steal, thou shall not lie etc,' whereas the commandment actually says, 'Do not give false witness against your neighbor.'

Hardly a ringing condemnation of lying, suggesting even God recognised that lying was a moral grey area.
It’s interesting that about half of the Ten Commandments concern honoring God and not man’s relationship with each other.

I think that’s because, as a Christian friend likes to say, “Go vertical to deal with the horizontal.”

F

Unknown Territories

Moves
17 Mar 18

It’s interesting that about half of the Ten Commandments concern honoring God and not man’s relationship with each other.

I think that’s because, as a Christian friend likes to say, “Go vertical to deal with the horizontal.”
Or, as another friend said, "Show your vertical by how you love the horizontal."

S. Korea

Moves
18 Mar 18

Well old chap, was over 20 years ago (Thinkofone doesn't like me talking about it).

Is it okay to refer to a Cardinal as old chap?

(Worth noting that I have usually only referred to my degree in response to a theist referring to atheists as ignorant or theologically lazy and that I have arrived at my atheism due to a lack of intellectual effor ...[text shortened]... ve given serious study to all the major religions of the world and still emerged as an atheist).
You have a theology degree?

Bachelors, or what? What was your main area of study?

ka
The Axe man

Brisbane,QLD

Moves
18 Mar 18

Deceit is not just lying, and also, not every lie is the product of deceit. I think most people realize this once they get well into adulthood, while others just cling to what they think proves they are better than someone else.

It's actually relatively easy to spot liars.

They're the ones claiming that they never lie. Simple.
Are you trying to decieve me?

I'm undeceivable because I've learnt through a very good mentor

Über-Nerd

Moves
18 Mar 18

The Ten commandments mark a spiritual transition in the Hebrews from being pagan polytheists (who worshipped golden idols, sacrificed live animals on stone altars and burnt their entrails, etc., hardly distinguishable from most other pagan peoples in the region at that time) to monotheists who worshipped an invisible transcendent God (more like Zoroastrians); that is the gist of the commandments which go 'vertical' as you call it.

Moves
18 Mar 18

Originally posted by @philokalia
You have a theology degree?

Bachelors, or what? What was your main area of study?
BA honors degree, majoring in Theology with Education studies as my minor. (Though also did a few rogue modules on psychology and sociology). - I did once list the 30 modules I studied over the 3 year period.

My grand plan (career guidance pretty lacking in my day) was to complete the degree and then do a year's PGCE to qualify as a teacher. (Something I never did, due to the sudden realization that I didn't want to teach a class full of teenagers).

The wisdom of hindsight.

Über-Nerd

Moves
18 Mar 18

Ah, so you went with the rogue modules instead. Wise decision there, Ghost.

Moves
18 Mar 18

Originally posted by @moonbus
Ah, so you went with the rogue modules instead. Wise decision there, Ghost.
Actually, one of the psychology modules was the only module I failed. (Had to retake).

ka
The Axe man

Brisbane,QLD

Moves
18 Mar 18

My mother always would say, "If you can't say anything nice, then don't say anything at all." So, sometimes nice things were said that I didn't mean. And sometimes, friendships were started which wouldn't have bloomed otherwise.
Friendships built on lies are not friendships at all.

F

Moves
18 Mar 18

Actually, one of the psychology modules was the only module I failed. (Had to retake).
No wonder you are languishing on this backwater forum. If you'd been a bit smarter or worked a bit harder, you could have been posting on a better message board than this.