Lying - A social necessity?

Lying - A social necessity?

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Moves
21 Mar 18

Originally posted by @romans1009
In whose eyes? And what about unforeseen consequences of the lie?
Societies eyes. There is no God.

In it's simplest form, a lie is acceptable if it, say, prevents the loss of life. Any civilized society would uphold this notion.

looking for loot

western colorado

Moves
21 Mar 18

In whose eyes? And what about unforeseen consequences of the lie?
Our eyes.

Paralysis from analysis is a real thing. Don't over-think, I tell myself. Tomorrow is not certain, so I am responsible for here and now, and nothing more.

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
21 Mar 18

Originally posted by @ghost-of-a-duke
Societies eyes. There is no God.

In it's simplest form, a lie is acceptable if it, say, prevents the loss of life. Any civilized society would uphold this notion.
Society’s eyes by what margin? A simple majority? Have you considered that what society thinks is acceptable in one time period may not be acceptable in another?

Of course God exists. And His existence is not dependent upon anyone believing in Him.

Preventing the loss of life is the litmus test? What if the lie prevents the loss of an individusl’s life in the immediate term but places more lives at risk in the longer term?

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
21 Mar 18

Originally posted by @apathist
Our eyes.

Paralysis from analysis is a real thing. Don't over-think, I tell myself. Tomorrow is not certain, so I am responsible for here and now, and nothing more.
<<Don't over-think, I tell myself. Tomorrow is not certain, so I am responsible for here and now, and nothing more.[/b]>>

That philosophy sounds familiar...

“Which of you by taking thought can add one cubit unto his stature?

And why take ye thought for raiment? Consider the lilies of the field, how they grow; they toil not, neither do they spin:

And yet I say unto you, That even Solomon in all his glory was not arrayed like one of these.

Wherefore, if God so clothe the grass of the field, which to day is, and to morrow is cast into the oven, shall he not much more clothe you, O ye of little faith?

Therefore take no thought, saying, What shall we eat? or, What shall we drink? or, Wherewithal shall we be clothed?

(For after all these things do the Gentiles seek) for your heavenly Father knoweth that ye have need of all these things.

But seek ye first the kingdom of God, and his righteousness; and all these things shall be added unto you.

Take therefore no thought for the morrow: for the morrow shall take thought for the things of itself. Sufficient unto the day is the evil thereof.”

(Matthew 6:27-34)

looking for loot

western colorado

Moves
21 Mar 18

... What if the lie prevents the loss of an individusl’s life in the immediate term but places more lives at risk in the longer term?
I'd expect an all-mighty all-knowing and all-loving GOD to do a better job.

But that ship has sailed.

looking for loot

western colorado

Moves
21 Mar 18

Originally posted by @romans1009...What if the lie prevents the loss of an individusl’s life in the immediate term but places more lives at risk in the longer term?
Then your tri-omni god isn't in charge after all. We already knew that.

looking for loot

western colorado

Moves
21 Mar 18
1 edit

Just go look at frucking satan. Who is in charge of this planet? The omni creator, or not?

Obviously not.

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
21 Mar 18

I'd expect an all-mighty all-knowing and all-loving GOD to do a better job.

But that ship has sailed.
Man has free will. One can’t have free will without also accepting the consequences of one’s behavior.

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
21 Mar 18

Then your tri-omni god isn't in charge after all. We already knew that.
Man has free will. You apparently want man to have the freedom of free will without also accepting the responsibility. So when man does something stupid due to his free will and faces unpleasant consequences, why just blame God!

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
21 Mar 18

Just go look at frucking satan. Who is in charge of this planet? The omni creator, or not?

Obviously not.
Satan has authority and power in this world to the extent God allows it - no more and no less.

Secret RHP coder

on the payroll

Moves
22 Mar 18
1 edit

Man has free will. You apparently want man to have the freedom of free will without also accepting the responsibility. So when man does something stupid due to his free will and faces unpleasant consequences, why just blame God!
Because God can stop a person from doing a bad thing without impinging on their free will.

Free will only involves making choices of your own volition. There is no guarantee that the desired outcome obtains.

looking for loot

western colorado

Moves
22 Mar 18
1 edit

What? I said I'm responsible for here and now. As in, I am accountable for what I do. You disagree? I think you haven't thought this through. If I'm wrong, then I am NOT responsible for my actions. So who is?

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
22 Mar 18

What? I said I'm responsible for here and now. As in, I am accountable for what I do. You disagree? I think you haven't thought this through. If I'm wrong, then I am NOT responsible for my actions. So who is?
What post are you replying to?

looking for loot

western colorado

Moves
23 Mar 18

What post are you replying to?
Right now?