Lying - A social necessity?

Lying - A social necessity?

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Misfit Queen

Isle of Misfit Toys

Moves
16 Mar 18

Originally posted by @thinkofone
[b]Imagine a society in which everyone always said exactly and fully what was on their minds to everyone all the time, whether prompted to or not.

People don't have to lie. They don't have to divulge " fully what was on their minds to everyone all the time" either. This is a ridiculous false dichotomy that amounts to a nonsensical rationalization ...[text shortened]... 've ever know is also one of the biggest liars I've ever known. It's not a complete coincidence.[/b]
Do you understand the difference between a real society and a society someone asks you to imagine? You know, reality versus imagination? Do you have a problem reading novels of fiction? I'm guessing science fiction would be totally unimaginable for you. Too bad misanthropy isn't.

Misfit Queen

Isle of Misfit Toys

Moves
16 Mar 18

Originally posted by @moonbus
If you are unsure what to do, then do something polite. That cannot be a sin in the eyes of a loving God.
My mother always would say, "If you can't say anything nice, then don't say anything at all." So, sometimes nice things were said that I didn't mean. And sometimes, friendships were started which wouldn't have bloomed otherwise.

T

Moves
16 Mar 18
5 edits

Originally posted by @moonbus
There is a difference between honesty and openness, and this bears on Ghost’s thread topic. Did Jesus lie to his disciples about not going to Jerusalem and then going secretly, or was he merely not entirely open with them?

That politeness has nothing to do with truthfulness is obvious. Taken in the context in which I mentioned it, namely t ...[text shortened]... veryone says all the time, Even the commandment “thou shalt not kill” has legitimate exceptions.
There is a difference between honesty and openness, and this bears on Ghost’s thread topic. Did Jesus lie to his disciples about not going to Jerusalem and then going secretly, or was he merely not entirely open with them?

Yes there is a difference. As I said, <<People don't have to lie. They don't have to divulge " fully what was on their minds to everyone all the time" either. >>

There's no reason to believe that Jesus was necessarily lying in that situation. GoaD's premise that Jesus was lying is nonsense. Even he backed it off to "possibly lying" when questioned.

The premise of the OP is also nonsense: "'Small lies' are necessary for society not to grind to a halt. It makes us more efficient as a species and to get things done." Please.

As for propounding a ridiculous false dichotomy, it was nothing of the sort.

Actually it was. Why else frame it that way? It's the type of argument that one might expect from a young teen. Depicting a ridiculous scenario does not a cogent argument make.

As I said, << <<People don't have to lie. They don't have to divulge " fully what was on their minds to everyone all the time" either. >> There's a wide gulf in between with a myriad of options.

T

Moves
16 Mar 18

Originally posted by @suzianne
Do you understand the difference between a real society and a society someone asks you to imagine? You know, reality versus imagination? Do you have a problem reading novels of fiction? I'm guessing science fiction would be totally unimaginable for you. Too bad misanthropy isn't.
Do you understand the difference between a real society and a society someone asks you to imagine?

Yes I do.

Moves
16 Mar 18

[b]Do you understand the difference between a real society and a society someone asks you to imagine?

Yes I do.[/b]
Mm, the verdict is still out on that.

'Lying is sometimes necessary.' You have offered squat to disprove that.

T

Moves
16 Mar 18
1 edit

Originally posted by @ghost-of-a-duke
Mm, the verdict is still out on that.

'Lying is sometimes necessary.' You have offered squat to disprove that.
You have offered squat to prove it. It's incumbent on you to do so.

Moves
16 Mar 18

You have offered squat to prove it. It's incumbent on you to do so.
Sir, you are a rather splendid fellow and communicating with you is a real pleasure. (Lie alert! lie alert!)

When you state the words of Jesus can be attributed to him, is it not similarly incumbent upon you to say why?

Chew on that Sherlock.

T

Moves
16 Mar 18
2 edits

Sir, you are a rather splendid fellow and communicating with you is a real pleasure. (Lie alert! lie alert!)

When you state the words of Jesus can be attributed to him, is it not similarly incumbent upon you to say why?

Chew on that Sherlock.

That's just your pride talking at having been bested.

When you state the words of Jesus can be attributed to him, is it not similarly incumbent
upon you to say why?

Look at a Bible where words are attributed to Jesus. They not only CAN be attributed to him - they were.

You're such a simpleton.

Moves
16 Mar 18

[b]When you state the words of Jesus can be attributed to him, is it not similarly incumbent
upon you to say why?

Look at a Bible where words are attributed to Jesus. They not only CAN be attributed to him - they were.

You're such a simpleton.[/b]
The simpleton factor only comes in sir when you uphold the credibility of the words attributed to Jesus while simultaneously rubbishing other parts of the Bible.

Apparently only the bits 'you' like can be trusted.

Man that's dumb.

T

Moves
16 Mar 18

The simpleton factor only comes in sir when you uphold the credibility of the words attributed to Jesus while simultaneously rubbishing other parts of the Bible.

Apparently only the bits 'you' like can be trusted.

Man that's dumb.

Moves
16 Mar 18

[youtube]ruhFmBrl4GM[/youtube]
You do get that it's not whether words have been attributed to Jesus that is in question, by why 'you' trust them as genuine, while discrediting other parts of the same book?

Man, you're slow on the uptake.

Moves
16 Mar 18

Sorry everybody. I think I broke Thinkofone.

Moves
16 Mar 18

Originally posted by @suzianne
Thinkofone's beliefs are probably the most precarious out of all the regular posters in this forum (which explains why he is so reluctant to answer direct questions).

The same Bible that attributes teachings to Jesus (which he accepts, by and large are genuine and to be trusted) also provides accounts that he doesn't believe are genuine or to be trusted.

Apparently only he can decide which cherries on the biblical tree are genuine and which are rotten, but under absolutely no circumstances will he explain why this is the case.

Secret RHP coder

on the payroll

Moves
16 Mar 18

Those type of contrived "hypothetical situations" hardly make cogent arguments.

Somehow I doubt the gestapo went around asking people "Are you sheltering any Jews?" rather than just kicking down doors when they had reason for suspicion.

"real historical precedents" lol.
You answered this once, years ago, I think. Your position was that the homeowner shouldn't lie to the Gestapo about harboring Jews.

That was probably when you got paranoid about answering questions. No doubt the backlash was severe.

Moves
16 Mar 18

Originally posted by @bigdoggproblem
You answered this once, years ago, I think. Your position was that the homeowner shouldn't lie to the Gestapo about harboring Jews.

That was probably when you got paranoid about answering questions. No doubt the backlash was severe.
And rightly so.

Something a little scary about the mindset of somebody who wouldn't lie, even to save someone's life.