Lying - A social necessity?

Lying - A social necessity?

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Moves
15 Mar 18

Originally posted by @suzianne
Bah... sisters... parties...

What about she just changed her mind?

Calling that "lying" is kind of a stretch.
Okay, okay, forget the parties. Let's ramp it up with Jeremiah 4:10 where we have God himself apparently lying to an entire community:

'Then said I, Ah, Lord GOD! surely thou hast greatly deceived this people and Jerusalem, saying, Ye shall have peace; whereas the sword reacheth unto the soul.'

Über-Nerd

Moves
15 Mar 18

Originally posted by @apathist
I don't think anything is new there.
What is new is the technology to keep up with them wherever they happen to be. In my day, we changed plans momentaneously too, but we had to be in close physical proximity to synchronize it. We didn't have cell phones when I was pubing; only Agent 86 had one of those (in his shoe).

Über-Nerd

Moves
15 Mar 18
1 edit

Originally posted by @ghost-of-a-duke
Okay, okay, forget the parties. Let's ramp it up with Jeremiah 4:10 where we have God himself apparently lying to an entire community:

'Then said I, Ah, Lord GOD! surely thou hast greatly deceived this people and Jerusalem, saying, Ye shall have peace; whereas the sword reacheth unto the soul.'
Cmon, Ghost, you don't have search very far for instances where the God of the OT is an unrighteous bastard. Just read the Book of Job. Why do you think the primal response to the OT God was fear?

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
15 Mar 18

Originally posted by @ghost-of-a-duke

What atheist website have you been trolling on?

What version of the Bible does it use?

Do you feel that you’re a tool of Satan in your obsession with bashing God or does the motivation come from somewhere else?

Do you get physically excited when you think you may have prevented someone from believing in Jesus Christ?

Do you go to shopping malls to hand out leaflets or do you confine your atheist propaganda to the Internet?

F

Moves
15 Mar 18
1 edit

Originally posted by @romans1009 to Ghost of a Duke
Do you get physically excited when you think you may have prevented someone from believing in Jesus Christ?
Do you think that belief in Jesus Christ can be "prevented" by reading words written by a non-Christian on a message board?

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
15 Mar 18

Originally posted by @fmf
Do you think that belief in Jesus Christ can be "prevented" by reading words written by a non-Christian on a message board?
That’s a sincere question.

The amount of time he and you devote to bashing God must give some kind of satisfaction. I’m just curious as to its nature and extent.

F

Moves
15 Mar 18

Originally posted by @romans1009
That’s a sincere question.
Well here it is again because you didn't answer it: Do you think that belief in Jesus Christ can be "prevented" by reading words written by a non-Christian on a message board?

F

Moves
15 Mar 18

The amount of time he and you devote to bashing God must give some kind of satisfaction. I’m just curious as to its nature and extent.
I am here discussing what I see as mundane human ideologies with diverse individuals and witnessing the impact that such ideologies have on the intellectual and interpersonal behaviour of those that propagate them. It's what this little social media facility is for.

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
15 Mar 18

I am here discussing what I see as mundane human ideologies with diverse individuals and witnessing the impact that such ideologies have on the intellectual and interpersonal behaviour of those that propagate them. It's what this little social media facility is for.
That’s a great paragraph. You oughta copy and store it for future use.

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
15 Mar 18

Well here it is again because you didn't answer it: Do you think that belief in Jesus Christ can be "prevented" by reading words written by a non-Christian on a message board?
Are you talking about a non-Christian or an atheist?

F

Moves
15 Mar 18

That’s a great paragraph. You oughta copy and store it for future use.
Why? I've made no secret of why I am here and I have been open about it for 10 years or more. How long have you been here? Why would I want to "store" something I'd posted?

F

Moves
15 Mar 18

Are you talking about a non-Christian or an atheist?
Maybe answer the question twice, once for each scenario.

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
15 Mar 18

Maybe answer the question twice, once for each scenario.
Yeah, maybe tomorrow

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
15 Mar 18

Why? I've made no secret of why I am here and I have been open about it for 10 years or more. How long have you been here? Why would I want to "store" something I'd posted?
I’ve been here for about six weeks. Seems a lot longer, doesn’t it?

F

Moves
15 Mar 18

I’ve been here for about six weeks. Seems a lot longer, doesn’t it?
You're one of the biggest jerks I've come across here.