1. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    27 Mar '23 19:17
    Most mainstream religions follow the “subscription model” I.e. a proselyte becomes attracted to a particular sect, cult, church or whatever, and is encouraged to subscribe to the group’s shared beliefs.

I wonder if this model is waning in these contemporary times of increased exposure to other moralistic influences, different values and critical thinking.

Thoughts?
  2. Standard membermchill
    Cryptic
    Behind the scenes
    Moves
    27 Mar '23 19:361 edit
    @divegeester said
    Most mainstream religions follow the “subscription model” I.e. a proselyte becomes attracted to a particular sect, cult, church or whatever, and is encouraged to subscribe to the group’s shared beliefs.

I wonder if this model is waning in these contemporary times of increased exposure to other moralistic influences, different values and critical thinking.

Thoughts?

The short answer is No. Many of the "other" moralistic influences, different values and critical thinking concepts you speak of were brought up during the age of enlightenment. The only thing that has changed is the method of communication. Our internet age has made exchanging these ideas much faster - that's all.
  3. Subscribermedullah
    Lover of History
    Northants, England
    Moves
    27 Mar '23 21:04
    @divegeester

I’ve not heard of this - the closest being that I can recall is fishy flirting, can you give an example please ?
  4. Account suspended
    Moves
    27 Mar '23 21:08
    @divegeester said

Thoughts?
    I think someone joins a particular denomination of a church based on what he already believes and doesn’t need to be “encouraged to subscribe to the group’s shared beliefs.”

It’s why most churches on their websites have a statement about what they believe. People want to know about the beliefs of a particular church before they join it.
  5. Subscriberrookie54
    free tazer tickles..
    wildly content...
    Moves
    27 Mar '23 21:12
    @divegeester said

Thoughts?
    i was forced into a dingy white van, hooded and beaten, taken to a cave somewhere in the high desert, prolly nevada where i was a sexual slave to three masters and a goddess
    this only lasted a year or so, they got tired of me asking for more

is this what yer talking about?
  6. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    27 Mar '23 22:41
    @medullah said
    @divegeester

I’ve not heard of this - the closest being that I can recall is fishy flirting, can you give an example please ?
    Examples of what specifically please?
  7. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    28 Mar '23 00:31
    @divegeester said

Thoughts?
    Family and community were once far and away the key reasons [while not the only ones] why people subscribed to particular religions / denominations, and how those belief systems got handed down to younger generations.

With the rise of atomization, especially ~ but not exclusively ~ in "western" culture, on one hand, there has been an increase in the number of atheists, but on the other hand there has been a move away from old school religions.

More people are shopping around for religious groups and denominations that appeal to them. In many respects, these newer alternative forms of worship, while able to fill gaps in people's lives and create a genuine sense of belonging, they can also be quite hardline and them-or-us-like.
  8. Account suspended
    Moves
    28 Mar '23 00:43
    @fmf said
    Family and community were once far and away the key reasons [while not the only ones] why people subscribed to particular religions / denominations, and how those belief systems got handed down to younger generations.

With the rise of atomization, especially ~ but not exclusively ~ in "western" culture, on one hand, there has been an increase in the number of atheists, but on ...[text shortened]... lives and create a genuine sense of belonging, they can also be quite hardline and them-or-us-like.
    <<More people are shopping around for religious groups and denominations that appeal to them.>>

Sounds like man trying to define God and make God conform to them, instead of the other way around.
  9. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    28 Mar '23 00:48
    @plantermoo said
    Sounds like man trying to define God and make God conform to them, instead of the other way around.
    I am just commenting on trends. Some [or even many] of those people shifting from established churches to their choice from a range of "newer" alternative churches are probably engaged in seeking and finding an approach to God that suits them having been turned off by the churches that were more dominant in the past.
  10. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    28 Mar '23 02:421 edit
    @plantermoo said
    I think someone joins a particular denomination of a church based on what he already believes and doesn’t need to be “encouraged to subscribe to the group’s shared beliefs.”

It’s why most churches on their websites have a statement about what they believe. People want to know about the beliefs of a particular church before they join it.
    This is not unilaterally true especially for proselytises who might be attracted by friendship or a sense of inclusion.

In the case of people who are Christians already, the reason they maybe looking for a different church is that they want to unsubscribe from their current one’s set of beliefs.

Furthermore, why do various Christian churches all from the same religion feel that they need to have a statement of beliefs in the first place and why are they each different.

Your comment underlines the evolving issue rather than negates it.
  11. Account suspended
    Moves
    28 Mar '23 02:57
    @divegeester said
    This is not unilaterally true especially for proselytises who might be attracted by friendship or a sense of inclusion.

In the case of people who are Christians already, the reason they maybe looking for a different church is that they want to unsubscribe from their current one’s set of beliefs.

Furthermore, why do various Christian churches all from the same relig ...[text shortened]... d why are they each different.

Your comment underlines the evolving issue rather than negates it.
    <<Furthermore, why do various Christian churches all from the same religion feel that they need to have a statement of beliefs in the first place and why are they each different.>>

Because there is disagreement about a lot of doctrines among the various denominations.

Salvation by faith vs. salvation by works

Once saved, always saved vs. conditional salvation

Speaking in tongues vs. not speaking in tongues

Free will in salvation vs. predestination

I’m sure there are more…
  12. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    28 Mar '23 02:591 edit
    @plantermoo said
    <<Furthermore, why do various Christian churches all from the same religion feel that they need to have a statement of beliefs in the first place and why are they each different.>>

Because there is disagreement about a lot of doctrines among the various denominations.

Salvation by faith vs. salvation by works

Once saved, always saved vs. conditional salvation

S ...[text shortened]... vs. not speaking in tongues

Free will in salvation vs. predestination

I’m sure there are more…
    Yes I am sure there are more; the demise of the subscription model is driving and increased number of offerings with modified doctrinal, moral and cultural models.
  13. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    28 Mar '23 03:541 edit
    @divegeester said
    Yes I am sure there are more; the demise of the subscription model is driving and increased number of offerings with modified doctrinal, moral and cultural models.
    People are shopping around for religious groups that fill gaps in their lives and create a genuine sense of belonging ~ two needs caused by the decline of more traditional institutions.
  14. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    28 Mar '23 04:02
    @fmf said
    People are shopping around for religious groups that fill gaps in their lives and create a genuine sense of belonging ~ two developments caused by the decline of more traditional institutions.
    Indeed; or staying put and challenging the status quo. However my experience of doing this puts one in a somewhat precarious position with the incumbent subscription model leadership.
  15. Account suspended
    Moves
    28 Mar '23 04:21
    @divegeester said
    I don’t think the subscription model exists.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree