Hitting children.

Hitting children.

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

D

Moves
22 Aug 20

Fighting for men’s

right to have babies

Moves
22 Aug 20

@rajk999 said
I dont agree with your all or nothing approach to the Old Testament.
So you approve of the selective reading of scripture then?

Quiz Master

RHP Arms

Moves
22 Aug 20

@divegeester said
How do you discipline your children?

Edit: serious question.
It's a good and valid question (which 2 idiots have decided to thumb down).

We've never sat down and discussed any set of "punishments".
We have clear rules and expectations of our daughters and like all children
they break those rules. I think our main "weapon" is just showing our
disappointment; saying something like "that makes daddy sad". When they
have hit me or thrown something at me, mock crying is effective.
(My 3 year-old occasionally stil lashes out, but my older daughter is fine.)
And of course good behaviour gets rewarded.

For extreme naughtiness they get sent to their rooms for 1 minute per year
of age. Basically just to cool off and think about what they have done.

At the end of the day children will adhere to rules for the same reasons that
we do as adults; it's the most easiest and most productive way to live.
(Providing those rules are sensible and just).

Hope that makes sense ... just had a few glasses of wine ...

Quiz Master

RHP Arms

Moves
22 Aug 20

@divegeester said
Something I’d buy a beer to be able to watch
Well I expected someone to comment .. my money was on shav.

Fighting for men’s

right to have babies

Moves
22 Aug 20
3 edits

@wolfgang59 said
Well I expected someone to comment .. my money was on shav.
Deleted.

Edit, sorry.

Fighting for men’s

right to have babies

Moves
22 Aug 20

@wolfgang59 said
It's a good and valid question (which 2 idiots have decided to thumb down).

We've never sat down and discussed any set of "punishments".
We have clear rules and expectations of our daughters and like all children
they break those rules. I think our main "weapon" is just showing our
disappointment; saying something like "that makes daddy sad". When they
have hit m ...[text shortened]... 's the most easiest and most productive way to live.
(Providing those rules are sensible and just).
It must be very difficult especially if children are particularly rebellious, defiant of self destructive.

There is a biblical text which is often used but misquoted by proponents of smacking which is from proverbs 13:24 which is quoted as “spare the rod, spoil the child” when in fact it is actually translated as “Those who spare the rod of discipline hate their children. Those who love their children care enough to discipline them.” Variations accepting.

“Rod” in the bible is a metaphor for discipline as “staff” is for authority. “You’re rod and your staff comfort me” from the famous psalm is talking about discipline and authority. I feel that one of the principles conveyed is that it is impossible to have authority without discipline.

Your techniques seem to be effective without being overly punitive. I like the idea that your displeasure is worth more than perhaps a denial of toys or something. I would imagine that consistency is important.

Kali

PenTesting

Moves
22 Aug 20

@indonesia-phil said
So now you advocate acts of physical violence against blameless children, and infanticide/homicide (depending I suppose upon the age of the person to be killed) if the situation calls for it. Read this through a couple of times and see what you come up with.

I believe I mentioned parental responsibility in my last post, but punishing children for the shortcomings o ...[text shortened]... g to solve anything.

Once again, there is never any excuse or justification for hitting a child.
Blameless? There is no such thing. It is the parents fault to a large extent that these kids, teens etc are screwed up, but they have to take blame and accept responsibility for their actions. As long as there is an understanding of right and wrong then they have chosen the wrong path. They will face the consequences.

Even 5 yr olds know that they must not hit or bully other kids, or steal from others. 13 yr olds know they should not do drugs and carry knives and guns. They are accountable.

Kali

PenTesting

Moves
22 Aug 20
1 edit

The post that was quoted here has been removed
Christians follow churches, not the bible. Strangely it is the Chinese and Japanese that follow the bible in rearing children.

Kali

PenTesting

Moves
22 Aug 20

@divegeester said
So you approve of the selective reading of scripture then?
Yes.

Kali

PenTesting

Moves
22 Aug 20

@divegeester said
There is a biblical text which is often used but misquoted by proponents of smacking which is from proverbs 13:24 which is quoted as “spare the rod, spoil the child” when in fact it is actually translated as “Those who spare the rod of discipline hate their children. Those who love their children care enough to discipline them.” Variations accepting.
Would you say that this one is misinterpreted as well?

If a man have a stubborn and rebellious son, that will not obey the voice of his father, or the voice of his mother, and, though they chasten him, will not hearken unto them; then shall his father and his mother lay hold on him, and bring him out unto the elders of his city, and unto the gate of his place; and they shall say unto the elders of his city, This our son is stubborn and rebellious, he will not obey our voice; he is a glutton, and a drunkard. And all the men of his city shall stone him to death with stones: so shalt thou put away the evil from the midst of thee; and all Israel shall hear, and fear. (Deuteronomy 21:18-21 ASV)

The consequences in the time of Moses, of persistent disobedience to parents is death by stoning.

Fighting for men’s

right to have babies

Moves
22 Aug 20

@rajk999 said
Yes.
Interesting honesty, thanks.
Explains a few things for me about your beliefs.

Fighting for men’s

right to have babies

Moves
22 Aug 20

@rajk999 said
Would you say that this one is misinterpreted as well?

[i]If a man have a stubborn and rebellious son, that will not obey the voice of his father, or the voice of his mother, and, though they chasten him, will not hearken unto them; then shall his father and his mother lay hold on him, and bring him out unto the elders of his city, and unto the gate of his place; and they ...[text shortened]...

The consequences in the time of Moses, of persistent disobedience to parents is death by stoning.
Not misrepresented, just not an appropriate way to think about dealing with your children in the days.

Kali

PenTesting

Moves
22 Aug 20

@divegeester said
Not misrepresented, just not an appropriate way to think about dealing with your children in the days.
Paul said this about the Old Testament

Every scripture inspired of God is also profitable for teaching, for reproof, for correction, for instruction which is in righteousness: that the man of God may be complete, furnished completely unto every good work. (2 Timothy 3:16-17 ASV)

Are you saying that the word of God is not appropriate?

Fighting for men’s

right to have babies

Moves
22 Aug 20

@rajk999 said

Are you saying that the word of God is not appropriate?
Are you suggesting that the stoning of adulterers and homosexuals is still good advice in this age?

Kali

PenTesting

Moves
22 Aug 20

@divegeester said
Are you suggesting that the stoning of adulterers and homosexuals is still good advice in this age?
I brought up that passage because you twisted the Proverbs one with the 'rod' to mean something else. The rod of correction is physical punishment. Your explanation is nonsense.

The decision about gays and adulterers is for governments and ruling authorities to make. I have no opinion on that.