1. S. Korea
    Moves
    20 Aug '20 01:54
    @wolfgang59 said
    You favour the anecdotes of one professor over all the psychological,
    behavioural and pedagogical evidence from thousands of professionals?
    I like the anecdote.

I do not have a strong opinion on this, and would just like to push back lightly against the mainstream opinion. I am not fully committed to the idea that spanking is good, because God knows how it can be abused, but I also think there's a lot of poor quality parenting going on these days. IDK.

Before we proceed, Wolfgang, I want you to acknowledge that your'e OK with the fact that I am not committed to the position of promoting spanking.

I am not going to engage in some emotional debate on this topic with someone who doesn't understand nuance.
  2. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    20 Aug '20 03:25
    @rajk999 said
    I think people in many parts of the world has [thank God for the internet and social media] seen the great kids / teens / young adults, produced by these so called advanced countries with their advanced way of training kids. You people serve as a perfect example of going your own way and not following Gods way.
    "You people"?
  3. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    20 Aug '20 04:54
    @suzianne said
    "You people"?
    Reading Rajk999's words, it seems to me "you people" clearly refers to those in "advanced countries" who - in his view - raise their children badly and "not following Gods way". Is that not clear to you too?
  4. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    20 Aug '20 07:18
    @philokalia said
    I do not have a strong opinion on this, . I am not fully committed to the idea that spanking is good,

I am not committed to the position of promoting spanking.[/i]

I am not going to engage in some emotional debate on this topic with someone who doesn't understand nuance.
    The Nuance is strong in you!

1. You don't have a strong opinion but
    2. You're slightly committed to the idea that spanking is good.
    3. You're not committed to promoting spanking.

😵
  5. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    20 Aug '20 07:20
    @rajk999 said
    Spanking is not violence.
    If I bent you over and spanked you that would be ...

What exactly?

And far, far worse to do it to a child than an adult.
  6. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    20 Aug '20 07:23
    @philokalia said
    giving them a little smack is the only thing that works!
    This position makes sense to me.
    Of course, we want to avoid doing it... but it also makes sense that, once in a while, it is somewhat necessary, and perhasp even contributes to the maturity of children.
    Once in a while it is necessary?

Corporeal punishment banned in most countries as a punishment for adults and it's "necessary" for kids?
  7. PenTesting
    Moves
    20 Aug '20 10:32
    @wolfgang59 said
    Really?
    Just your imaginings or you have evidence?
    In the last 4 or 5 decades the following have risen sharply:
    - disobedience to parents and teachers
    - delinquency and insolence in schools
    - bullying in schools
    - decline of family life and values
    - violence in schools including mass shootings.

Kids in these times need to be put back in their rightful place.
    A good whooping is sometimes needed.
    So says God. You are free to disagree of course.
  8. PenTesting
    Moves
    20 Aug '20 10:35
    @wolfgang59 said
    Sixty countries, states and territories have adopted legislation that fully
    prohibits using corporal punishment against children at home, according
    to both UNICEF and the Global Initiative to End All Corporal Punishment of Children.

Sweden was the first in 1979, I guess that was the beginning of the end for them?
    Its the beginning of the end ... YES. Dont confuse material wealth and a comfortable lifestyle with more important aspects of the quality of life including the critical importance of family life and family values. Read 2 Timothy 3:1-4 KJV.
  9. PenTesting
    Moves
    20 Aug '20 11:07
    @wolfgang59 said
    If I bent you over and spanked you that would be ...

What exactly?

And far, far worse to do it to a child than an adult.
    There are different degrees of violence obviously. You people harp of spankings and make that a big issue when if fact it is the one thing that will heal your screwed up society.

Stripes that wound cleanse away evil; And strokes reach the innermost parts.
    (Proverbs 20:30 ASV)

Because of societies failure to follow Gods instruction this will likely be the end result in time to come:

For every one that curseth his father or his mother shall surely be put to death: he hath cursed his father or his mother; his blood shall be upon him.
    (Leviticus 20:9 ASV)
  10. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    20 Aug '20 18:01
    @rajk999 said
    There are different degrees of violence obviously. You people harp of spankings and make that a big issue when if fact it is the one thing that will heal your screwed up society.

Stripes that wound cleanse away evil; And strokes reach the innermost parts.
    (Proverbs 20:30 ASV)

Because of societies failure to follow Gods instruction this will likely be the end re ...[text shortened]... th: he hath cursed his father or his mother; his blood shall be upon him.
    (Leviticus 20:9 ASV)[/i]
    Are you seriously referencing the Old Testament as a guide to contemporary child discipline?
  11. PenTesting
    Moves
    20 Aug '20 19:54
    @divegeester said
    Are you seriously referencing the Old Testament as a guide to contemporary child discipline?
    Yes. Certain rules and guidelines are timeless. Discipline and good family life is one of these things and failure to enforce discipline [corporal punishment included] have the same dire consequences on society whether it was 5000 years ago or today.

What would you say is the reason for the decline in discipline in British schools compared to say Japanese or Chinese schools ?
  12. Standard memberExecutioner Brand
    Grass Farmer
    Account suspended
    Moves
    20 Aug '20 22:454 edits
    @suzianne said
    Violence is never 'pleasant'.
    Well, what is the result of violence?
    By law, if you have 5 percent battery left and someone is violent towards you does it create anything sexually 'pleasant'. By this LAW you can spam someone with traffic and everyone in the path will have an increase in sex drive as a result of violent noise.
    Life and law are equations where actions always have consequences but most like to ignore the results or ever stop to think hey technically I may be raping people or as I'm trying to make a case here, raping children.
    Another example of an increase in sex drive is alcohol... because it damages your brain.

I would go on to say 'sexual immorality' is basically victimization whilst the onus to change is on the victim. How does the bible deal with sexual immorality? Not many people add LAW to change the world but through their judgments of wrong. one last edit... i don't think there is anything wrong with being gay.
  13. Standard memberExecutioner Brand
    Grass Farmer
    Account suspended
    Moves
    20 Aug '20 23:462 edits
    because in the end our sexuality comes from the world around us.

ask isis how they illegitimated their kidnapped wives and children.
  14. S. Korea
    Moves
    21 Aug '20 01:12
    @wolfgang59 said
    The Nuance is strong in you!

1. You don't have a strong opinion but
    2. You're slightly committed to the idea that spanking is good.
    3. You're not committed to promoting spanking.

😵
    Yeah, that seems like a good description of it.
  15. S. Korea
    Moves
    21 Aug '20 01:13
    @wolfgang59 said
    Once in a while it is necessary?

Corporeal punishment banned in most countries as a punishment for adults and it's "necessary" for kids?
    It is also legitimate for Police to actively smack about people who are resisting arrest, isn't it?

I think the issue is that a kid gets spanked if he refuses to adhere to the initial punishment given out, right.

Maybe that is a more apt comparison.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree