Has religion served its purpose?

Has religion served its purpose?

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
07 Jan 22

@fmf said
Whoosh
That’s the best you got?

Or did my post go whoooosh over your head?

F

Moves
07 Jan 22

@pb1022 said
That’s the best you got?

Or did my post go whoooosh over your head?
The post of mine you replied to had absolutely nothing to do with "pleasing God". You should read the conversation.

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
07 Jan 22

@fmf said
The post of mine you replied to had absolutely nothing to do with "pleasing God". You should read the conversation.
Do you know the definition of sin?

It’s an offense against God.

F

Moves
07 Jan 22

@pb1022 said
Do you know the definition of sin?

It’s an offense against God.
You should just read the conversation.

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
07 Jan 22

@fmf said
You should just read the conversation.
I have.

And you’re hoisted yet again by your own petard.

More thinking and less posting is the right forum prescription for you.

F

Moves
07 Jan 22

@pb1022 said
No, because without faith it is impossible to please God.
In the context of the conversation KellyJay and I are having, this is a non-sequitur.

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
07 Jan 22

@fmf said
In the context of the conversation KellyJay and I are having, this is a non-sequitur.
I don’t think it is. You’re not just making the link.

Moves
07 Jan 22
1 edit

@kellyjay said
I have and will quote scripture to you, but why do you ask for something that doesn't mean anything to you, accept as you like it, and agree with it or not? You already stated that no matter what is said, you will not change your mind, so why do you ask for scripture for points you will not alter your views over even if given?
Do you have supporting scripture for your claim that “sins are eternal”?

(And we aren’t talking about the one named sin of blasphemy against the holy spirt)

Walk your Faith

USA

Moves
07 Jan 22

@divegeester said
But you're still quoting scripture at me in other posts!
I won’t be defected by a flurry of faux righteous indignation KellyJay.

Do you have supporting scripture for your claim that sins are eternal or not? Because I think you made it up and are now desperately trying to back away from it.
They do not fall off into non-existence; they took place; they are fixed in time, and the thing you seem to be overly concerned about concerning sins is not their being eternal but the punishment for them. If we die in our sins, what comes next?

John 8

So he said to them again, “I am going away, and you will seek me, and you will die in your sin. Where I am going, you cannot come.” So the Jews said, “Will he kill himself, since he says, ‘Where I am going, you cannot come’?” He said to them, “You are from below; I am from above. You are of this world; I am not of this world. I told you that you would die in your sins, for unless you believe that I am he you will die in your sins.”

There is a distinction between who comes to the Lord and those that do not which you seem to miss willfully. There will be people cast out.

Luke 13:27-29
English Standard Version
But he will say, ‘I tell you, I do not know where you come from. Depart from me, all you workers of evil!’ In that place there will be weeping and gnashing of teeth, when you see Abraham and Isaac and Jacob and all the prophets in the kingdom of God but you yourselves cast out. And people will come from east and west, and from north and south, and recline at table in the kingdom of God.

If the possibility of going to Hell wasn't real, why would Jesus speak of both as a possible reality?

Mark 9:46-48
English Standard Version
And if your eye causes you to sin, tear it out. It is better for you to enter the kingdom of God with one eye than with two eyes to be thrown into hell, ‘where their worm does not die and the fire is not quenched.’

John 15:5-7
English Standard Version
I am the vine; you are the branches. Whoever abides in me and I in him, he it is that bears much fruit, for apart from me you can do nothing. If anyone does not abide in me he is thrown away like a branch and withers; and the branches are gathered, thrown into the fire, and burned. If you abide in me, and my words abide in you, ask whatever you wish, and it will be done for you.

Moves
07 Jan 22
1 edit

@kellyjay said
They do not fall off into non-existence; they took place; they are fixed in time, and the thing you seem to be overly concerned about concerning sins is not their being eternal but the punishment for them. If we die in our sins, what comes next?

John 8

So he said to them again, “I am going away, and you will seek me, and you will die in your sin. Where I am going, you ...[text shortened]... . If you abide in me, and my words abide in you, ask whatever you wish, and it will be done for you.
Thanks for this totally irrelevancy to what I asked you for.

Anyway I was wondering if you had any, any at all, scriptures to support your claim that people’s sins are eternal? If you haven’t got any, then I would politely suggest that you swallow your pride and withdraw the claim because I can assure you that you won’t find any.

The only scripture which possibly refers to an eternal sin is the one which calls out blasphemy against the Holy Spirit. However, if you have done your research (and I don’t think you have), you will note that this sin’s importance, such that it will not be forgiven even in heaven, is sharply juxtaposed against EVERY other sin, which WILL be forgiven.

As a post script to this mini exchange between us KellyJay, I have to politely say (no jab intended) that I am surprised that you even floated this idea that sins are eternal, and if you picked it up from a church leader I (again respectfully) suggest looking closely at their overall teaching because this is a significant error in my humble opinion.

I’ll say why I think this; the nature of God’s mercy has been eroded over the centuries with the rise and use of eternal torture as a threat to the laity to stay on line. Eternal sins is another erosion of the finished, complete and eternal work done at Calvary.

Just my take on it and why I went on and on about it.

Walk your Faith

USA

Moves
07 Jan 22

@divegeester said
Thanks for this totally irrelevancy to what I asked you for.

Anyway I was wondering if you had any, any at all, scriptures to support your claim that people’s sins are eternal? If you haven’t got any, then I would politely suggest that you swallow your pride and withdraw the claim because I can assure you that you won’t find any.

The only scripture which possibly ...[text shortened]... complete and eternal work done at Calvary.

Just my take on it and why I went on and on about it.
Can you point to one thing I got from a church leader, what church leader, what church? I quoted scripture to you, not a church doctrine; it is something you take seriously or don't. Nothing about what Jesus says is irrelevant; it does to judgment where some are condemned and cast out, while those that come to Him are not.

Moves
07 Jan 22

@kellyjay said
Can you point to one thing I got from a church leader, what church leader, what church?
I said “if”.

Moves
07 Jan 22

@kellyjay said
I quoted scripture to you, not a church doctrine; it is something you take seriously or don't.
1) What should I take seriously; you posting scripture, relevant scripture to the question, or the claim you raise?

2) the scriptures you quoted do not support your claim. Surely you see that that was my point.

3) your claim remains unsubstantiated and I’ve given you the reason from the bible why.

Moves
07 Jan 22

@kellyjay said
Nothing about what Jesus says is irrelevant; it does to judgment where some are condemned and cast out, while those that come to Him are not.
I don’t even know what you mean with this.

You made a claim, eventually after my persistence you posted a block of scriptures which do not support your claim.

I don’t think you know what you’re talking about in this matter. I think you either made up your claim that people’s sins are eternally or you are repeating it from hearing it elsewhere.

Walk your Faith

USA

Moves
07 Jan 22

@divegeester said
1) What should I take seriously; you posting scripture, relevant scripture to the question, or the claim you raise?

2) the scriptures you quoted do not support your claim. Surely you see that that was my point.

3) your claim remains unsubstantiated and I’ve given you the reason from the bible why.
The scripture is very clear to the point that our sin have consequences that judgment will fall on us, if we die in our sin outside of Christ we do so condemned. What is important is what the Word says not our opinions about it.

Can you explain what I am wrong about with respect to the scripture I quoted or are you simply going to attempt to make me the topic?