Has religion served its purpose?

Has religion served its purpose?

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

If you want change

Vote for it!

Moves
05 Jan 22

@divegeester said
So forgiveness, access to mercy and escape from the most incredibly horrendous torture imaginable, is due to a persons decision to believe a “call from god”? Or is it due to the sovereignty of God and not of our own effort?
KellyJay?

F

Moves
05 Jan 22

@kellyjay said
I thought he was doing a good job; some crimes, some sins, effects go through time from generation to generation; they don't stop when they are done.
So you are proposing that "sins" that have repercussions that last "from generation to generation", morally speaking, deserve punishment that lasts for eternity, even after those [finite] repercussions are no longer felt.

If you want change

Vote for it!

Moves
05 Jan 22

@kellyjay said
You commit a crime against an eternal God; that crime is eternal, not temporary.
Please provide scriptural evidence for this because I think you have just made it up.

F

Moves
05 Jan 22

Is it time for the 'I heard it in "Jr. high reading class" argument' again?

Walk your Faith

USA

Moves
05 Jan 22

@fmf said
So you are proposing that "sins" that have repercussions that last "from generation to generation", morally speaking, deserve punishment that lasts for eternity, even after those [finite] repercussions are no longer felt.
We can see things in this temporary universe as they affect us right at the moment, but love and compassion can be felt through generations as well, as Jim's life was the man I told you about who just died.

Someone who sins, what they do affects this universe not just within the sinner, but all of the sinners crimes are against God as God takes everything done to each of us as crimes against Him since He is responsible for His creation, so every sin, every wrong, every hurtful action, every act of selfishness at the expense of the innocent are all against God as well, and being against God as well are all eternal crimes. Even when we take revenge, revenge belongs to the Lord, not us.

Walk your Faith

USA

Moves
05 Jan 22

@fmf said
Is it time for the 'I heard it in "Jr. high reading class" argument' again?
I hope not.

Walk your Faith

USA

Moves
05 Jan 22

@divegeester said
Please provide scriptural evidence for this because I think you have just made it up.
Why do you want to look at scripture? You don't take it as an authority. You use the only authority you recognize. You cast off entire books of the Bible because of how you think about them. Why would I want to discuss scripture with someone who thinks they are above such things?

If you want change

Vote for it!

Moves
05 Jan 22

@kellyjay said

Someone who sins, what they do affects this universe not just within the sinner
How have you come to this opinion?

If you want change

Vote for it!

Moves
05 Jan 22
1 edit

@kellyjay said
Why do you want to look at scripture? You don't take it as an authority. You use the only authority you recognize. You cast off entire books of the Bible because of how you think about them. Why would I want to discuss scripture with someone who thinks they are above such things?
I do take it as authority, but I’m not the one making the assertion, you are.

You repeatedly claim that your opinions are robustly rooted in scripture, so I’m asking YOU to stand up for your assertion and for YOU to provide the scriptures which led you to what I feel is a made up piece of rhetoric.

You claimed “ You commit a crime against an eternal God; that crime is eternal, not temporary.”

Can you do this?

F

Moves
05 Jan 22

@kellyjay said
Someone who sins, what they do affects this universe not just within the sinner, but all of the sinners crimes are against God as God takes everything done to each of us as crimes against Him since He is responsible for His creation
How does my lack of belief in your God figure "affect this universe"?

F

Moves
05 Jan 22
2 edits

@kellyjay said
So every sin, every wrong, every hurtful action, every act of selfishness at the expense of the innocent are all against God as well, and being against God as well are all eternal crimes.
All I am hearing here about your reasoning is the assertion that ...all sins against God are eternal crimes. It's just an assertion. If you extend it, it can become circular reasoning, thusly: ...all sins against God are eternal crimes - because they are eternal crimes - because they are crimes against God - which makes them eternal crimes etc.

If my selfishness, say, results in some harm coming to my family, which ceases on the event of my death, and I am not forgiven for this by your God figure because I am a non-believer, what would be the justification for STILL burning me in flames in 300,000,000,000 years from now and then for eternity beyond that?

If you want change

Vote for it!

Moves
05 Jan 22

@divegeester said
So forgiveness, access to mercy and escape from the most incredibly horrendous torture imaginable, is due to a persons decision to believe a “call from god”? Or is it due to the sovereignty of God and not of our own effort?
KellyJay?

F

Moves
05 Jan 22

@kellyjay said
I hope not.
It was an "argument" you attempted to deploy on the previous page.

F

Moves
05 Jan 22

@kellyjay said
some crimes, some sins, effects go through time from generation to generation; they don't stop when they are done. They keep on causing harm
If so, isn't this also true of the "sins" of believers?

Walk your Faith

USA

Moves
05 Jan 22

@divegeester said
KellyJay?
It is God’s grace through faith we are saved, in Christ without Him we can do nothing, He is the Way, Truth, and the Life no one comes to the Father but through Him. You don’t have the Son, you don’t have the Father.