First amendment right to refuse services to...

First amendment right to refuse services to...

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

If you want change

Vote for it!

Moves
333d

@josephw said

According to the scriptures you are spiritually dead and have not the capacity to understand them because you don't have the Spirit of God, but according to the scriptures you have the spirit of this world which denies God's Christ.
Are you going to call me “an enemy of God” again Josephw?

rain

Moves
333d

@divegeester said
Suzianne has openly stated that a Republican cannot be a true Christian.

I didn’t say anything about rights, adoption, services… I’m pointing out that Suzianne discriminates against Republicans who claim to be Christian, based on her political beliefs. I’m pointing out to her that in doing so while attacking other people for discrimination, that she is being hypocritical.

Learn to follow the exchanges.
The type of discrimination Suzianne refers to is denial of civil rights. You equating her opinion on Republicans with that shows a complete lack of intelligence.

F

Moves
330d

@vivify said
The type of discrimination Suzianne refers to is denial of civil rights. You equating her opinion on Republicans with that shows a complete lack of intelligence.
"A complete lack of intelligence"?

divegeester's perspective about the type of discrimination Suzianne refers to and what she has asserted about Republicans, I think, DOES belong on the Spirituality Forum ~ regardless of the merits of it.

An assertion, smack-down style, that someone supposedly has a "complete lack of intelligence" regarding civil rights sounds like it belongs on the cesspool of the Debates Forum ~ a place, I'd say, on the strength of this post of yours, you have perhaps spent a bit too much time.

Are you letting the discursive proclivities of the likes of wajoma, Metal Brain, and Mott The Hoople rub off on you?

If you want change

Vote for it!

Moves
327d
1 edit

@vivify said
I wasn’t “equating” [Suzianne’s] opinion on the denial of human rights with her denial of Republicans possibly being “true” Christians, I was calling out her hypocrisy over her accusation of discrimination. One doesn’t need the two discriminations to “equate” in order for there to by hypocrisy by the one person accusing the other.

Your inability to discriminate (sic) between these two concepts is what actually shows a complete lack of intelligence.

Edit… to be clear (as to clearly need more clarity); Suzianne holds a politicised religious discrimination against all Republicans, claiming that just by being one means that they cannot be a true Christian. It’s religious bigotry.

rain

Moves
325d
5 edits

@divegeester said
I wasn’t “equating” [Suzianne’s] opinion on the denial of human rights with her denial of Republicans possibly being “true” Christians, I was calling out her hypocrisy over her accusation of discrimination. One doesn’t need the two discriminations to “equate” in order for there to by hypocrisy by the one person accusing the other.
Yes, they do.

"Discrimination" has more than one use and right now you're just playing semantic games.

An employer who discriminates against people with no experience is not a "hypocrite" for criticizing discrimination against gays. One is a civil rights issue, the other type of discrimination is not.

Be smarter than this.

F

Moves
325d

@vivify said
"Discrimination" has more than one use and right now you're just playing semantic games.
It is you who seems to be forgetting that the word "discrimination" has more than one use and that the juxtaposition you are criticizing is entirely valid on a Spirituality Forum where religion and prejudice are discussed.

If you want change

Vote for it!

Moves
325d

@vivify said
Yes, they do.

An employer who discriminates against people with no experience is not a "hypocrite" for criticizing discrimination against gays. One is a civil rights issue, the other type of discrimination is not.

Be smarter than this.
No they don’t, of course they don’t, don’t be silly.

Exercise more intelligence; you’re better than this.

rain

Moves
325d

@fmf said
It is you who seems to be forgetting that the word "discrimination" has more than one use and that the juxtaposition you are criticizing is entirely valid on a Spirituality Forum where religion and prejudice are discussed.
So because Suzi criticizes people for discrimination against gays...you believe she's a hypocrite if she criticizes a political party?

rain

Moves
325d

@divegeester said
No they don’t, of course they don’t, don’t be silly.

Exercise more intelligence; you’re better than this.
Your logic: people who discriminate against child molesters are hypocrites for criticizing discrimination against Jews.

You're not worth responding to.

F

Moves
322d

@vivify said
So because Suzi criticizes people for discrimination against gays...you believe she's a hypocrite if she criticizes a political party?
I think there is a generous dollop of hypocrisy in most of the things Suzianne posts. She demeaned people's faith in Jesus rather than merely "criticized a political party". But I see what you did there.

Profound prejudice against Christians who have conservative values and prejudice against people because of their sexual orientation can justifiably be brought up together on a forum dedicated to discussing such matters, including tolerance and loving one's enemies etc, your rather feeble Mott The Hoople-type banter about people's "intelligence" notwithstanding.

F

Moves
322d

@vivify said
Your logic: people who discriminate against child molesters are hypocrites for criticizing discrimination against Jews.
Your analogy's dichotomy:

1. Discriminating against child molesters

and

2. Discriminating against Jews

Tell me, which of these is analogous to

1. Wishing not to serve homosexuals as a matter of religious principle

and

2. Publicly demeaning people's faith in Jesus because of political differences

In your analogy, which is analogous to child molestation and which is analogous to antisemitism?

rain

Moves
322d
2 edits

@fmf said
I think there is a generous dollop of hypocrisy in most of the things Suzianne posts. She demeaned people's faith in Jesus rather than merely "criticized a political party". But I see what you did there.

Profound prejudice against Christians who have conservative values and prejudice against people because of their sexual orientation can justifiably be brought up together on ...[text shortened]... s etc, your rather feeble Mott The Hoople-type banter about people's "intelligence" notwithstanding.
Until Suzi starts advocating that Republicans be denied public services the way conservatives are already doing to gays, the two are not comparable. One is invidious discrimination the other is a mere opinion.

Furthermore your thread is not a "spiritual" topic, it's a legal and political one.

rain

Moves
322d

@fmf said
Your analogy's dichotomy:

1. Discriminating against child molesters

and

2. Discriminating against Jews

Tell me, which of these is analogous to

1. Wishing not to serve homosexuals as a matter of religious principle

and

2. Publicly demeaning people's faith in Jesus because of political differences

In your analogy, which is analogous to child molestation and which is analogous to antisemitism?
Suzi is giving an opinion; conservatives are denying legal rights.

No comparison.

F

Moves
322d

@vivify said
Suzi is giving an opinion; conservatives are denying legal rights.

No comparison.
On a political forum, perhaps. But this is a Spirituality Forum where prejudice, religion-driven animosity and tolerance are the issues. If you don't see the validity of the juxtaposition, that is a matter for you.

F

Moves
322d

@vivify said
Until Suzi starts advocating that Republicans be denied public services the way conservatives are already doing to gays, the two are not comparable. One is invidious discrimination the other is a mere opinion.
The issues, on this forum, as I see it are prejudice and toleration. The issue is whether the anti-gay Christians are walking the Christian walk, not whether SCOTUS has just given them a legal foundation for their prejudice-in-action.