1. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    26 Sep '20 07:381 edit
    @suzianne said
    You obviously have no idea of what kind of mental grip cults have on their victims. Instead, you'd rather blame the victims for "not doing more" to help other victims. They can't even help themselves, man, this is what makes cults insidious. But you'd rather sit back and knock him for what he's been through, possibly out of fear of possibly saying anything positive about him. No, you've made your bed, so don't cry about having to lie in it a little longer.
    Once being a victim doesn’t excuse one from turning one’s back.

I’m surprised that you personally aren’t more moved to challenge dj2becker on what he could have done to rescue young girls from sexual molestation and even rape in this cult.

Edit; actually I’m not surprised if I’m honest.
  2. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    26 Sep '20 07:441 edit
    @suzianne said
    You'd rather sit back and knock him for what he's been through, possibly out of fear of possibly saying anything positive about him.
    I haven't "knocked him for what he's been through". I have criticized him for what his analysis of what he went through is now, ten or more years later.

I offered him my commiserations repeatedly back when he talked about the cult and described what happened. I [and others] even had to explain to him - in a spirit of sympathy- the nature of what had been done to him.

I think my analysis has been more constructive than justifications still rooted in self-pity are so far after the events in question.

What "positive thing about" dj2becker/Fetchmyjunk do you want me to say?

That his family did the "right thing"? That they handled what happened to his sister "well"? That the "loyalty" that led to "silence" was "virtuous"? That their complicity was probably/hopefully victimless?

What "positive thing about" him do you want me to say and to what end?
  3. Joined
    01 Oct '04
    Moves
    26 Sep '20 12:492 edits
    @fmf said
    You obviously haven't read much of what he has written about his cult over the last 2-3 years and what he claims happened to his sister ~ and the reasons he gave for his family not warning others after what he said happened to his sister.

On this thread, he has said that he didn’t think he suffered that much and has insisted many times that he was not the victim of any psycho ...[text shortened]... issues here than the scattering of the eggshells of victimhood which seems to appeal to your psyche.
    Maybe if you’d actually bothered to read what I wrote a few years ago you would have noticed that by the time I found out (only second hand) it was more than 20 years after the incident had happened and the perpetrator was already serving a life sentence in prison for murder. So go on blame me for everything I fully deserve it.
  4. Subscribermoonbus
    Über-Nerd
    Moves
    26 Sep '20 16:041 edit
    @dj2becker

A different cult, but possibly germane to the thread:

https://www.teenvogue.com/story/bizarre-and-terrifying-scientology-facts

https://gawker.com/why-i-left-scientology-1703997050
  5. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    26 Sep '20 23:20
    @dj2becker said
    Maybe if you’d actually bothered to read what I wrote a few years ago you would have noticed that by the time I found out (only second hand) it was more than 20 years after the incident had happened and the perpetrator was already serving a life sentence in prison for murder. So go on blame me for everything I fully deserve it.
    Your family had a duty to raise the alarm. They should have warned other families. Rapes and other kinds of sexual molestation could perhaps have been avoided. The imperative to do this superseded any desire to avoid trouble or keep silent.
  6. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    26 Sep '20 23:50
    @dj2becker said
    So go on blame me for everything I fully deserve it.
    If you believe your family handled the situation in a morally sound way back then, which it seems you do, then own it and make the case - rather than playing the "victim" card in the here and now.
  7. Standard memberBigDogg
    Secret RHP coder
    on the payroll
    Moves
    27 Sep '20 01:20
    @fmf said
    Your family had a duty to raise the alarm. They should have warned other families. Rapes and other kinds of sexual molestation could perhaps have been avoided. The imperative to do this superseded any desire to avoid trouble or keep silent.
    Couldn't one use this exact same argument against a rape victim who was reticent to confront her accuser?

It may be technically correct, but it's heartless.
  8. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    27 Sep '20 01:29
    @bigdoggproblem said
    Couldn't one use this exact same argument against a rape victim who was reticent to confront her accuser?

The fact that more women and girls are likely to be raped by the same authority figures unless something is done takes precedence over the feelings of a victim. I think it is a moral issue for her family and friends.

There is "heartless" and there is "heartless". To me, the "heartless" nature of parents seeing or risking other girls being raped because of the reticence of their own child outweighs the "heartless" nature of doing the right thing.

I don't see it as a "technical" matter. There was a compound. There were women and children living there. There were rapists living among them.
  9. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    27 Sep '20 01:38
    @bigdoggproblem said
    If my son comes home from school and tells me he has been sodomized by one of his teachers who then threatened to harm him if he told anyone, is doing nothing the "technically correct" action for me, his father, to take if my son is reticent about what happened?

And what would then be my moral responsibility and the "technically correct" action for me to take if I heard that the teacher had sodomized other school children?
  10. Standard memberBigDogg
    Secret RHP coder
    on the payroll
    Moves
    27 Sep '20 02:01
    @fmf said
    The fact that more women and girls are likely to be raped by the same authority figures unless something is done takes precedence over the feelings of a victim. I think it is a moral issue for her family and friends.

There is "heartless" and there is "heartless". To me, the "heartless" nature of parents seeing or risking other girls being raped because of the reticence of the ...[text shortened]... re was a compound. There were women and children living there. There were rapists living among them.
    Not the matter; the argument.
  11. Standard memberBigDogg
    Secret RHP coder
    on the payroll
    Moves
    27 Sep '20 02:02
    @fmf said
    If my son comes home from school and tells me he has been sodomized by one of his teachers who then threatened to harm him if he told anyone, is doing nothing the "technically correct" action for me, his father, to take if my son is reticent about what happened?

And what would then be my moral responsibility and the "technically correct" action for me to take if I heard that the teacher had sodomized other school children?
    Again, not an action; an argument.
  12. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    27 Sep '20 02:04
    @BigDoggProblem

I don't know what you mean. Please explain.
  13. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    27 Sep '20 02:08
    @bigdoggproblem said
    It would be the reasoning you'd use when urging a victim to cooperate with efforts to prevent others from being raped. How one would couch it would depend on the victim and on the intractability of the reticence.
  14. Joined
    01 Oct '04
    Moves
    27 Sep '20 03:495 edits
    @fmf said
    I find it fascinating that you are attacking my family that only found out decades after the incident happened and yet you have nothing to say about the evil system where the cult leader and perpetrators were able to brainwash the victims and instill so much fear in them that they remained silent for all those years. And you’re also making many uninformed assumptions about what my family did or didn’t do when they found out.
  15. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    27 Sep '20 04:14
    @dj2becker said
    I find it fascinating that you are attacking my family that only found out decades after the incident happened.
    This is now a different story about your family than the one you told here on this forum in the past.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree