had nothing to do with it or those hiding the fact they are. Some
    people use the thumbs up or down because they don't like the
    poster, so as soon as they write anything, no matter how amoral or
    non-threatening, they are given a thumbs down. Can it be set up so
    we can see who gives them, start at a future date giving everyone a
    warning?

If there is a privacy issue with some who may want to give one but do
    I do not want to attention. I suppose an "anonymous button" can be used
    too, and we will all know whoever did it doesn't want to be known.

Personally, if I give one, I'd like them to know it was me.
  2. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    15 May '22 07:321 edit
    @kellyjay said
    I've been complaining about this elsewhere, and it occurred to me
    that here is where I should have been saying it. But I think it would
    clear up some things where people are accused of giving either that
    poster, so as soon as they write anything ...[text shortened]... ver did it doesn't want to be known.

Sounds reasonable. I don't use thumbs down but I do occasionally give a post a thumbs up. I tend to speak my mind and don't need to forgo that by resorting to thumbing a post down.

I don't care who it is who's doing it to me. But I have heard it claimed that thumbs NOT being anonymous would be an abrogation of free speech and a form of Stalinism.

This is an odd one to me, as a historian, because Stalinism was propped up by a system of anonymous condemnations. Oh well.

Here's a question: is the fact that thumbing YOURSELF up [or down] anonymously is not possible also an abrogation of free speech?
  3. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    15 May '22 07:451 edit
    @kellyjay said
    poster, so as soon as they write anything ...[text shortened]... ver did it doesn't want to be known.

Thumb up from me!

The thumbing system is a strange site function in a community where the administration committee (for want of a better term) frowns on what it sees as pettiness in the forum exchanges.

How more petty can you get than thumbing down a post because you don’t like the poster and then wanting your thumb down to be anonymous.

I do like your idea of “choosing to be anonymous” with the caveat that it would only be for site subscribers.

I doubt Russ has the will or time to write the code for all this, which is a shame as it would add value to what is currently a somewhat blunt instrument for driving increased vapidity (sic)
  4. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    15 May '22 07:47
    @kellyjay said
    Can it be set up so
    warning?
    "This has been suggested by other snowflakes, furious that they cannot reach out to attack people who disagree with them, but Management has, every single time this has been suggested, decided not to do this, deciding instead to allow Free Speech. Maybe you'd get your way in Stalinist Russia, or Trumpist America, but not at RHP." ~ Suzianne
  5. Subscribervenda
    Dave
    S.Yorks.England
    Moves
    15 May '22 14:10
    I am not interested in the thumb system in any shape or form.
    My only suggestion would be a facility to mask them on my profile so I don't even have to see them.
  6. Subscribermoonbus
    Über-Nerd
    Moves
    16 May '22 05:553 edits
    @kellyjay said

It could be coded to reveal who gave a TU or TD. This has been discussed many times. The majority of users want thumbs to remain anonymous. I am one of them. The reasons have been stated before. No need to rehash this.

Those who wish to reveal themselves as givers of thumbs can do so, nothing prevents them from identifying themselves.I have not doled out any thumbs in this thread (so far). That’s how easy it is.
  7. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    16 May '22 06:16
    @moonbus said
    The majority of users want thumbs to remain anonymous.
    How did you establish this to be so? Did someone run a poll on one of the forums?
  8. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    16 May '22 06:23
    @kellyjay said
    Can it be set up so
    warning?

If there is a privacy issue with some who may want to give one but do
    I do not want to attention. I suppose an "anonymous button" can be used
    too, and we will all know whoever did it doesn't want to be known.

I believe it would reduce the number of thumbs because people using multiple accounts to swell the bulk of thumbing [dj2becker used to do it, for example, as did that poster - Stella something? ~ with 5-6 accounts who harrassed female chess players in in-game chats] would think thrice before drawing attention to the name of their accounts.
  9. Subscribermoonbus
    Über-Nerd
    Moves
    16 May '22 08:07
    @fmf said
    How did you establish this to be so? Did someone run a poll on one of the forums?
    This has been discussed in many previous threads; in one of them, Pondy listed the threads in which it was discussed. Do your homework for yourself.
  10. Subscribermoonbus
    Über-Nerd
    Moves
    16 May '22 08:08
    @fmf said
    I believe it would reduce the number of thumbs because people using multiple accounts to swell the bulk of thumbing [dj2becker used to do it, for example, as did that poster - Stella something? ~ with 5-6 accounts who harrassed female chess players in in-game chats] would think thrice before drawing attention to the name of their accounts.
    The problem you describe is multiple accounts, not thumbs.
  11. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    16 May '22 08:361 edit
    @moonbus said
    The problem you describe is multiple accounts, not thumbs.
    The problem I describe is multiple accounts being used to thumb posts up and down anonymously.
  12. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    16 May '22 08:38
    @moonbus said
    This has been discussed in many previous threads; in one of them, Pondy listed the threads in which it was discussed. Do your homework for yourself.
    I don't think any of those discussions established that the majority of users want thumbs to remain anonymous.
  13. Subscribermoonbus
    Über-Nerd
    Moves
    16 May '22 08:56
    @fmf said
    I don't think any of those discussions established that the majority of users want thumbs to remain anonymous.
    Read those threads. You’ll see that the number of people who wanted thumbers’ identities revealed is very small, and always only those few who had been receiving a lot of TDs in the recent past. No poll was necessary; the number of thumbs given to the posts in those threads, pro and con, was overwhelmingly in favor of keeping thumbs anonymous.
  14. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    16 May '22 09:11
    @moonbus said
    Read those threads. You’ll see that the number of people who wanted thumbers’ identities revealed is very small, and always only those few who had been receiving a lot of TDs in the recent past. No poll was necessary; the number of thumbs given to the posts in those threads, pro and con, was overwhelmingly in favor of keeping thumbs anonymous.
    I don't agree with your characterization, and more especially with your extrapolation. What "number of people" constituted a quorum in those discussions? "The number of thumbs given to the posts in those threads, pro and con, was overwhelmingly in favor of keeping thumbs anonymous"? Do you really give THAT much credence to a relatively tiny number of thumbs?
  15. Subscribermoonbus
    Über-Nerd
    Moves
    16 May '22 09:28
    @fmf said
    I don't agree with your characterization, and more especially with your extrapolation. What "number of people" constituted a quorum in those discussions? "The number of thumbs given to the posts in those threads, pro and con, was overwhelmingly in favor of keeping thumbs anonymous"? Do you really give THAT much credence to a relatively tiny number of thumbs?
    Tally the thumbs given to posts in this thread and draw your own conclusion. I have not given thumbs to any posts in this thread; any thumbs you see here are from other posters giving their ‘yays’ and ‘nays’ and that is a valid measure of approval or disapproval. If you doubt that, set up a poll here.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree