1. Joined
    07 Dec '05
    Moves
    29 Nov '19 10:26
    I heard that some people claimed Einstein stole a lot of stuff from Poincare and Lorentz so I looked into it and ran across this video. I tried to find out about Run Ze Cao but could not find much. There isn't even a wikipedia page of him, so I figured what the heck, I'll create a thread about him and find out how credible some of his claims are.

YouTube

How credible is he? If he is wrong do you think he honestly believes what he is saying?
  2. Joined
    06 Mar '12
    Moves
    29 Nov '19 13:259 edits
    The speaker in that video first claimed that Einstein based his relativity on the concept of stationary ether, which is simply false; He DIDN'T. I learned what he based it on at university and it had NOTHING to do with the concept of stationary ether. It was in fact based on the principle of relativity which was in turn based on the only way he could think how to solve certain apparent logical contradictions in physics as it was once understood that existed before relatively.
    The speakers later arguments keeps going on about "because of Einstein's ether...", which had nothing to do with what relativity was based on. Then much of his latter arguments where ALSO based on that flawed premise. He then later (about 14 mins into vedeo) talks about Einstein's relative time and claims it to be false by basically making the very old and common layperson error of thinking in terms of absolute time rather than relative time and just about any low ranking physicist would groan in despair listening to this as they would immediately spot this flaw in his argument and immediately dismiss his claims because of it. In addition, time dilation effects have ALREADY been both OBSERVED and MEASURED and thus PROVEN to exist thus apparently the speaker doesn't accept this fact! That empirical proof alone proves the speaker MUST be wrong else how can he explain away that evidence!?

In short, sorry, that speaker has NO credibility whatsoever. Relativity is STILL a proven scientific fact in the sense that it must be, at the very least generally as in in the main, correct, and nothing and no person including that one has to date ever come even close to changing that. There may well be some very trivial loopholes and very trivial exceptions to the laws of relativity, especially on the quantum scale, but that's all beside the point.

I am afraid you can find no shortage of people over the net claiming they HAVE proved relativity wrong; THOUSANDS of them in fact! And every single one of them is not only completely wrong but completely deluded. Most being laypeople that think they know better than the physicists but don't even come close . But sadly, there are just a few physicists amongst them because in every profession you will get a few that go against the basic principles of their profession and sadly science is no exception.

P.S. And, yes, I do believe he "honestly believes what he is saying" but is still wrong. Lots of other people honestly believes what they are saying but are still wrong including flatearthers and some non-science-expert laypeople here.
  3. Joined
    07 Dec '05
    Moves
    29 Nov '19 14:59
    @humy said
    The speaker in that video first claimed that Einstein based his relativity on the concept of stationary ether, which is simply false; He DIDN'T. I learned what he based it on at university and it had NOTHING to do with the concept of stationary ether. It was in fact based on the principle of relativity which was in turn based on the only way he could think how to solve certain a ...[text shortened]... ey are saying but are still wrong including flatearthers and some non-science-expert laypeople here.
    "The speaker in that video first claimed that Einstein based his relativity on the concept of stationary ether, which is simply false; He DIDN'T."

I think he implied Einstein stole the idea from somebody that based his theory on a stationary ether. Rather than admit he stole the idea he claimed the ether didn't exist so people were unlikely to accuse him of stealing another's theory.

Later Einstein reversed himself and admitted the existence of the ether. He even wrote an article about it. That article seems to be an admission he screwed up the first time by denying the ether. By doing so it appears he really did steal the idea.

I didn't know he refuted time dilation. I didn't watch the whole thing because of data limits. That would contradict my assertion that time dilation causes gravity. I hope you are right and he is wrong about that because if he is right I am wrong about time dilation.

Are atomic clocks sensitive to the temperature changes and pressure? I'm not eager to disprove time dilation and discredit my many posts on here that are based on time dilation, but I think it is worth exploring all possibilities to rule out a possible flawed experiment.

Since Einstein conceded he was wrong about the ether and that it exists does that mean he thought the Michelson–Morley experiment was flawed?
  4. Joined
    06 Mar '12
    Moves
    29 Nov '19 16:0416 edits
    @metal-brain said

I think he implied Einstein stole the idea from somebody that based his theory on a stationary ether. Rather than admit he stole the idea he claimed the ether didn't exist so people were unlikely to accuse him of stealing another's theory.
    If that was what the speaker implied, which I think it probably was what he meant, then that speaker was STILL wrong.
    As I said before, Einstein did NOT base is theory of relativity on the concept of ether.
    I didn't know he refuted time dilation.
    He in effect did by implying all time is absolute and not relative. If time is absolute then logically that means there is no time dilation.
    Are atomic clocks sensitive to the temperature changes and pressure?
    No.
    Since Einstein conceded he was wrong about the ether...
    You may have got that a bit back-to-front. He did once believed, like many if not most physicists at that time, there existed an ether that was required to 'vibrate' when a photon wave passed through it and then he deduced relativity which said NO such ether, at least not one that requires to 'vibrate', exists. But after that he didn't ever "conceded he was wrong" about changing his mind about that, because he was NOT wrong about that but rather RIGHT. Thus, and contrary to that speaker's claim, relativity is NOT based on the concept of ether but rather, if anything, iimplicitly assumes that there is NO such 'vibrating'' ether. In fact, if he hadn't thrown away the old shackles of that old ether theory, he may well have had failed to deduced relativity as that old 'vibrating' ether theory implicity assumes and implies there is NO NEED for time dilation or relativity!

To massively complicate the issue; there are SEVERAL major variants on the ether theory, all very different from each other, and not all of them contradict relativity.
    But, the fact remains, relativity is NOT BASED on an ether theory and NEVER WAS!
  5. Joined
    29 Nov '19
    Moves
    29 Nov '19 18:13

This post is unavailable.

Please refer to our posting guidelines.

6. Germany
    Moves
    29 Nov '19 18:58
    Relatively isn't wrong, it's one of the best-tested theories out there (especially the special theory of relativity).

Read more:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Theory_of_relativity
  7. Standard memberlemon lime
    itiswhatitis
    oLd ScHoOl
    Moves
    29 Nov '19 20:50
    Say what? 😮

I thought Einstein proved aether wasn't necessary for propagation of light.

But what do I know, I'm just a lowly layperson... who just happens to be a man, so calling me a layman is perfectly acceptable as a politically correct designation.
    Unless it isn't, in which case I can honestly say I DON'T CARE!

I really don't 😐
  8. Joined
    06 Mar '12
    Moves
    29 Nov '19 21:102 edits
    @lemon-lime said

I thought Einstein proved aether wasn't necessary for propagation of light.
    Then you thought correctly 🙂
  9. Standard memberlemon lime
    itiswhatitis
    oLd ScHoOl
    Moves
    29 Nov '19 21:23

Removed by poster

10. Standard memberlemon lime
    itiswhatitis
    oLd ScHoOl
    Moves
    29 Nov '19 21:51
    Here's a weird thought experiment.

What if...
    What if you were able to safely exist at the very center of the earth.

would you feel A) the earth pressing in from all directions, or
    would you feel B) gravity pulling you (outwards) from all directions?
  11. Joined
    07 Dec '05
    Moves
    30 Nov '19 03:40
    @humy said
    If that was what the speaker implied, which I think it probably was what he meant, then that speaker was STILL wrong.
    As I said before, Einstein did NOT base is theory of relativity on the concept of ether.
    I didn't know he refuted time dilation.
    He in effect did by implying all time is absolute and not relative. If time is absolute then logically that means t ...[text shortened]... radict relativity.
    But, the fact remains, relativity is NOT BASED on an ether theory and NEVER WAS!

Later Einstein reversed himself and admitted the existence of the ether. He even wrote an article about it. That article seems to be an admission he screwed up the first time by denying the ether. By doing so it appears he really did steal the idea.

Einstein wrote a paper acknowledging the ether. Einstein is his own greatest critic. You must accept this fact. Do you?
  12. Joined
    07 Dec '05
    Moves
    30 Nov '19 03:43
    @kazetnagorra said
    Relatively isn't wrong, it's one of the best-tested theories out there (especially the special theory of relativity).

Read more:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Theory_of_relativity
    I have heard that GPS proves GR repeatedly. Recently I have heard that is incorrect and that it can be explained with electromagnetic retardation. Is that true?
  13. Joined
    06 Mar '12
    Moves
    30 Nov '19 07:08
    @metal-brain said
    I think he implied Einstein stole the idea from somebody that based his theory on a stationary ether.
    You think that based on what? Do you understand relativity better than the experts? if not, stop avoiding listening to us experts. One's default layperson assumption should always be that the experts are right on a particular matter unless you have got a pretty good reason to think the contrary.
  14. Joined
    07 Dec '05
    Moves
    30 Nov '19 09:46
    @humy said
    You think that based on what? Do you understand relativity better than the experts? if not, stop avoiding listening to us experts. One's default layperson assumption should always be that the experts are right on a particular matter unless you have got a pretty good reason to think the contrary.
    He stole it from Lorentz. The math is the same.

Do you accept Einstein was wrong to reject the existence of the ether? He accepted it in the end.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Einstein_aether_theory

I noticed you evaded my questions. Try answering them.
  15. Germany
    Moves
    30 Nov '19 10:26
    @lemon-lime removed their quoted post
    Your assertion is wrong, time dilation is a consequence of special relativity, which ignores the influence of gravity.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree