Fritz 8 vs Feivel

Fritz 8 vs Feivel

Only Chess

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

G

Moves
06 Dec 04
1 edit

Ah its ok iv found your answer. Im not sure if you are trying to imply that my games match up to an engine? If you think they do by all means share.

With the exception of the Feviel game of course :-)

f

Moves
07 Dec 04

Originally posted by Grayeyesofsorrow
Ah its ok iv found your answer. Im not sure if you are trying to imply that my games match up to an engine? If you think they do by all means share.

With the exception of the Feviel game of course :-)
Hello Grayeyes

Im not trying to imply anything, i was simply following your game with Feival, but im getting slightly different results to you with my fritz 8, thats why i asked those questions.

With regard to the 20 games matching fritz, it all depends on many things, if the match rate is very high in all games, then yes, that person is allmost certainly using an engine.

A very good chess player will have a high match rate with most of the top engines, but not 90-95%, its hard to say what the match rate is for lets say a top GM, it seems to vary alot, some games very high others very low, but i recently ran a Kasparov/Karpov game through fritz 8 and the match for both players was very high.

Happy now Grayeyes :-)

Regards FGWE

G

Moves
07 Dec 04

Originally posted by forevergreenwithenvy
Hello Grayeyes

Im not trying to imply anything, i was simply following your game with Feival, but im getting slightly different results to you with my fritz 8, thats why i asked those questions.

With regard to the 20 games matching fritz, it all depends on many things, if the match rate is very high in all games, then yes, that person i ...[text shortened]... tz 8 and the match for both players was very high.

Regards FGWE
The processors are dual 1.8Ghz AMD, however since its only Fritz8 the speed increase for dual is squat. Theres 2 gigs of ram put towards Fritz8 when its running, however its not as though it will fill that up in the time its been running so far. The time its been running has varied with my day, but its not a great length of time for moves. If at any point Fritz starts to believe it is losing then its going to get some serious run time. Im not sure how other peoples Fritz will read this, but mine is leaning towards white as winning.

I can remember running a Kasparov/Karpov game though Fritz a while ago and it did turn out to be high indeed, yet over a run of games neither of them come close to 90%, which is what some people on this site are hitting all the time day in day out with no variation.

I just wish the chess mods would start. Regardlessif Fritz wins this game or not, Feviel is a top player, and after looking at his games I have great respect for his chess ablities. However the engine is matching him quite easily, a lot of the top "players" are just do as im doing in this game, give Fritz a bit of a spin, it doesnt even have to be that long and bingo you are on par with Feviel.

We can all take a guess at (and then avoid) the ones like JW who out of nowhere just shoot up, but those that have used it since day one and that no one would even think used an engine are the people who should be stopped.

R
Just lost

London

Moves
07 Dec 04

Originally posted by tmetzler
Rumor has it that Feivel is currently banned from the forums...
For how long I don't know....
Do you know why he was banned?

Anyway I have it on good authority that Feivel is happy with his position here. Good luck to him!

G

Moves
08 Dec 04

Originally posted by forevergreenwithenvy
Hello Grayeyes

With regard to the 20 games matching fritz, it all depends on many things, if the match rate is very high in all games, then yes, that person i ...[text shortened]... tz 8 and the match for both players was very high.

Regards FGWE
Im told you know some things that the site would love to hear, maybe prove that people like me arent shooting in the dark after all. I heard you did it for the honor of RHP, so why dont you keep that goal and share what you know.

G

Moves
08 Dec 04
1 edit

Originally posted by Grayeyesofsorrow
I want Feviel to win this too, but I think its blind faith. Sooner or later humans are just going to have to admit computers are better at chess than them, it probably wont take more than 5 years until GMs are dominated by computers, maybe a bit less.
Actually, about seven or eight years ago, computers reached 2600+ and everyone thought it was a matter of time before computers totally destroyed GMs. But actually, the top 100 GMs in the world have been consistently even with the top computers over the past seven or eight years. In other words, just as Computers are getting better, GMs are figuring out anti-computer styles and getting much better themselves. I think it will take a long time for computers to overtake GMs. Remember that GMs use databases and computers to improve their own abilities, its not at all an advantage for Computers.

wotagr8game

tbc

Moves
08 Dec 04

Originally posted by Gambitzoid
Actually, about seven or eight years ago, computers reached 2600+ and everyone thought it was a matter of time before computers totally destroyed GMs. But actually, the top 100 GMs in the world have been consistently even with the top computers over the past seven or eight years. In other words, just as Computers are getting better, GMs are figuring out a ...[text shortened]... tabases and computers to improve their own abilities, its not at all an advantage for Computers.
Computers are rated by competing in computer tournaments, therefore they don't play rated players to get their ratings, just other computers. If you think about it, there are no were near as many computer programs as there are human players so i think their ratings are inaccurate.

G

Moves
09 Dec 04

Originally posted by marinakatomb
Computers are rated by competing in computer tournaments, therefore they don't play rated players to get their ratings, just other computers. If you think about it, there are no were near as many computer programs as there are human players so i think their ratings are inaccurate.
i'll agree with that, but my point is that about seven or eight years ago, the top computers started playing level against the worlds top GMs. However, today, they are still only even with the top GMs of the world. I don't think Computers will overtake the Top GMs anytime soon, i would say at least another 20 years, if not more like 35 or 40

g

Moves
09 Dec 04

i'll agree with that, but my point is that about seven or eight years ago, the top computers started playing level against the worlds top GMs. However, today, they are still only even with the top GMs of the world. I don't think Computers will overtake the Top GMs anytime soon, i would say at least another 20 years, if not more like 35 or 40
The only true test for the programs is for them to be entered in tournaments. A program playing a program will not really show you the true strengh of the programs. In a tournament vs a man they will have to play a wide range of openings and playing styles.

G

Moves
11 Dec 04

Originally posted by gambit3
The only true test for the programs is for them to be entered in tournaments. A program playing a program will not really show you the true strengh of the programs. In a tournament vs a man they will have to play a wide range of openings and playing styles.
they do play humans, kasparov vs x3d fritz
kramnik v deep junior
there was a whole tournament in turkey dedicated to humans vs computers
im not talking about programs vs. programs im talking about programs vs people

G

Moves
11 Dec 04

they do play humans, kasparov vs x3d fritz
kramnik v deep junior
there was a whole tournament in turkey dedicated to humans vs computers
im not talking about programs vs. programs im talking about programs vs people
I did post a game of kasparov vs x3d Fritz somewhere. Kasparov outplayed the it in the positional long term.

The search function is bust so I cant find it. Everytime I go past page 1 when reading anyones posts it displays posts from 4 months ago on page 2 and so on.

Immigration Central

tinyurl.com/muzppr8z

Moves
11 Dec 04

Material's even though asymmetrical, White's got that brutal advanced connected passed Pawn center, Black's King has moved, White's got one developing move left and Black has four...Black has the two Bishops...White has a nasty check coming up which will undevelop Black's King...I don't see how Black can get out of this alive.

g
The man himself

Totally lost

Moves
11 Dec 04

Four moves ago I was worried.

But I look at it now and white is in real trouble.

j

Moves
11 Dec 04

Originally posted by gumbie
Four moves ago I was worried.

But I look at it now and white is in real trouble.
How do you figure that?

G

Moves
11 Dec 04

Originally posted by jgvaccaro
How do you figure that?
White in trouble ? Feviel just had to dodge the most nasty moves, he did it, but his king is going to be hunted down.

Last move Feviel either could of been mated, lost a knight or move to where he is now. I dont think this type of game is making any difference that its correspondence since the lines (At least in Fritzs view) are forced. I didnt like the a4 move at first, but the more I look at it the more it seems to be playable.