1. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    18 Mar '22 09:57
    Are we on a happiness quest or a truth quest?
    Would we want to know the truth if it wasn't what we think it should be?
    If I'm content the way I am, and truth would be upsetting, would I prefer being ignorant?
    Thoughts
  2. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    18 Mar '22 10:061 edit
    @kellyjay said
    If I'm content the way I am, and truth would be upsetting, would I prefer being ignorant?
    Thoughts
    In so far as life is a quest, I seek the opportunity to learn and to teach, and to love and be loved. This is unaffected by how many times you refer to your own beliefs as "the truth" ~ whether it be bold and assertive ~ or in a weasley indirect leading-with-your-glass-chin way ~ like with a thread OP like this. "Happiness or Truth" is a false dilemma, KellyJay. Oh, wait, by "The Truth" do you mean your religious beliefs?
  3. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    18 Mar '22 11:30
    @fmf said
    In so far as life is a quest, I seek the opportunity to learn and to teach, and to love and be loved. This is unaffected by how many times you refer to your own beliefs as "the truth" ~ whether it be bold and assertive ~ or in a weasley indirect leading-with-your-glass-chin way ~ like with a thread OP like this. "Happiness or Truth" is a false dilemma, KellyJay. Oh, wait, by "The Truth" do you mean your religious beliefs?
    You always bring it back to people not what is true, your defining characteristic.
  4. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    18 Mar '22 11:36
    @kellyjay said
    You always bring it back to people not what is true, your defining characteristic.
    People is all we've got. You and me, people. Other people. What else are we to "bring it back to", KellyKay.

If your answer to "Are we on a happiness quest or a truth quest?" is not a personal one, and if you are not asking people to share their personal opinions about the answer to "Are we on a happiness quest or a truth quest?" then what on Earth is this thread about?
  5. Subscribermoonbus
    Über-Nerd
    Moves
    18 Mar '22 12:21
    @kellyjay said
    Thoughts
    The universe is expanding at near light speed; we are living in an explosion. The nature of reality might be that a full knowledge of it would drive us insane or kill us, wherefore, seek not truth, but what you can live with.
  6. Standard membervivify
    rain
    Moves
    18 Mar '22 13:19
    @kellyjay said
    Thoughts
    That's an interesting question.

If you are madly in love with your spouse or significant other and have a very happy life with that person...would you want to know if that person is cheating on you?

I recently watched an interview with a comedian whose mother told him the man who raised him was not actually his father. The comedian said this was not something he needed to know and he could've spent the rest of his life just fine without that information.

It all boils down to what is actually affected by potentially ruining happiness with truth; how big are the stakes should you find out the truth?

For example: someone grows up in a rich, privileged family, unaware that their wealth is acquired through the suffering and exploitation of others. While knowing the truth could ruin that person's happiness, the ability to act on that truth to try and change the situation could be more important than the blissful ignorance of the lavish lifestyle.

So the answer to that question (knowing the truth or remaining happy) depends on how much what is at stake matters to you.
  7. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    18 Mar '22 13:33
    @fmf said
    People is all we've got. You and me, people. Other people. What else are we to "bring it back to", KellyKay.

If your answer to "Are we on a happiness quest or a truth quest?" is not a personal one, and if you are not asking people to share their personal opinions about the answer to "Are we on a happiness quest or a truth quest?" then what on Earth is this thread about?
    Your thoughts on the question not about me is what was asked.
  8. Subscribermoonbus
    Über-Nerd
    Moves
    18 Mar '22 13:36
    @vivify
    I concur. One of the most heinous things is to hurt people you love with the truth. Of course, I'm not recommending lying to people, certainly not habitually. But there are some things better left unsaid, to some people at any rate. For example, telling your kids why your marriage broke up and why the kids have to live with dad (because mom's a drug addict and ran off with her dealer/pimp) -- maybe one day they'll be able to cope with this truth and forgive mom for having abandoned them for drugs, but there is no good reason to poison the kids' early memories of her.
  9. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    18 Mar '22 13:38
    @kellyjay said
    Your thoughts on the question not about me is what was asked.
    I have shared my thoughts on the question.

You have brushed past them, of course.

Is the "truth" you mentioned in the OP your stuff about Jesus and torture and how "evil" human beings are?
  10. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    18 Mar '22 13:54
    @fmf said
    I have shared my thoughts on the question.

You have brushed past them, of course.

Is the "truth" you mentioned in the OP your stuff about Jesus and torture and how "evil" human beings are?
    I have not responded to anyone’s thoughts on the question yet. I don’t recall torture in the query either.
  11. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    18 Mar '22 14:11
    @kellyjay said
    I don’t recall torture in the query either.
    Your definition of "truth" is heavily rooted in supernatural torture. You've made no secret of the fact.
  12. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    18 Mar '22 14:151 edit
    @kellyjay said
    I have not responded to anyone’s thoughts on the question yet.
    Then, having have shared my thoughts on the question, and if you don't want it to be about "people", why are you attempting to browbeat me with personal remarks about me and about my response before you have even bothered sharing your own? Are you building up to some kind of proselytizing effort about "the truth"?
  13. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    18 Mar '22 21:15
    @fmf said
    Then, having have shared my thoughts on the question, and if you don't want it to be about "people", why are you attempting to browbeat me with personal remarks about me and about my response before you have even bothered sharing your own? Are you building up to some kind of proselytizing effort about "the truth"?
    You got all of that out of the OP question?
  14. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    19 Mar '22 01:35
    @kellyjay said
    You got all of that out of the OP question?
    No, I mainly got it from your subsequent posts.
  15. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    19 Mar '22 02:12
    @fmf said
    No, I mainly got it from your subsequent posts.
    Which are not part of this one.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree