Embarrassing And Awkward Moments

Embarrassing And Awkward Moments

General

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Moves
20 Feb 21

@phil-a-dork said
@divegeester

Saying a black man is black is racist?
So every novel I have read that describes a person's race is racist?
In fairness old chap you weren't writing a novel but recounting a tale where the man's skin colour brought nothing of value to the narrative. Calling a man black 'isn't' racist in itself but when used in an unnecessary fashion will lead people to ask questions as to the motivation of describing the colour of his skin.

F

Moves
20 Feb 21

@phil-a-dork said
You appear to believe that your "funny black man" character made your fart story "funny" and it wouldn't have been "funny" without "the funny black man" and without, according to you, the funny way that this "funny black man" talked.

Moves
20 Feb 21

@ghost-of-a-duke said
In fairness old chap you weren't writing a novel but recounting a tale where the man's skin colour brought nothing of value to the narrative. Calling a man black 'isn't' racist in itself but when used in an unnecessary fashion will lead people to ask questions as to the motivation of describing the colour of his skin.
One key to strong representation is making the race of your characters undisputedly clear. So clue your readers in! Not only is it nice for People of Color to read descriptions of themselves as awesome everyday people, but there’s a consequence to being vague: Most readers will assume the characters are white.

Taken from...

https://blog.nanowrimo.org/post/188519134840/the-dos-of-writing-people-of-color-describe-your

Moves
20 Feb 21

@phil-a-dork said
@divegeester

Oh dear.

What a pity you had to resort to this blinky-eyed faux incredulousness when you know very well that your story was laced with casual racism.

SRB

Moves
20 Feb 21

@ghost-of-a-duke said
Why are you explaining the subtle to a guy who is comfortable stating 'good times' after saying it was a time when there was only one 'black person' in the carriage and then makes a sweeping generalisation about all non American 'black people'? If this guy is comfortable with the blatant he isn't going to hear anything about the subtle.

F

Moves
20 Feb 21

I wonder if Suzianne is going to crop up again and accuse Ghost of a Duke and Relentless Red of joining in the "pissing contest".

F

Moves
20 Feb 21

@phil-a-dork said
Taken from...

https://blog.nanowrimo.org/post/188519134840/the-dos-of-writing-people-of-color-describe-your
Ask that blog if they want to publish your "funny" story about the "funny black man" and the "funny way he talked".

SRB

Moves
20 Feb 21

@fmf said
I wonder if Suzianne is going to crop up again and accuse Ghost of a Duke and Relentless Red of joining in the "pissing contest".
Maybe it's the ratio of on topic posts to other posts in a thread that had potential to be a good read. Maybe the discussion of the racist posting belongs in a different thread and the posts should just be alerted in this one? It does seem sad when a half decent thread sinks under recurrent themes. It's kind of like the negative posting wins. Maybe a disputes thread for people to quickly shift their argument into?

F

Moves
20 Feb 21

@relentless-red said
Maybe it's the ratio of on topic posts to other posts in a thread that had potential to be a good read. Maybe the discussion of the racist posting belongs in a different thread and the posts should just be alerted in this one? It does seem sad when a half decent thread sinks under recurrent themes. It's kind of like the negative posting wins. Maybe a disputes thread for people to quickly shift their argument into?
Whoosh

F

Moves
20 Feb 21

@Very-Rusty
Does anyone want to share their most embarrassing and awkward moments?

One really awkward moment I once endured happened when I was teaching in London 35 years ago. I was called into the headteacher's office where a man and his wife were sat waiting for me. The headteacher explained that the parents were concerned that I was molesting their daughter. They didn't know when or how many times it was supposed to have happened but my name had been mentioned, apparently. I made it quite clear that I had not molested any of the pupils. The meeting then ended quickly and oddly with the father saying "OK, we hear what you say, but, if it is going on, we want it to stop." An awkward moment, indeed. A few months later, we heard that the woman had separated from the man and the issue was his molestation of his own daughter.

Moves
20 Feb 21
1 edit

@FMF

They made a movie about false accusations like that and the stigma that gets put on the falsely accused. It was a true story apparently.

Did the other teachers look at you different after that?

Moves
20 Feb 21

@relentless-red said
Yea you’re right, I’m sure that’s exactly why Suzianne rocks up throws out some abuse at one of her detractors and makes no contribution to the thread. Nothing at all to do with her partisan unprincipled attitude.

A bit like your ever-so-virtuous post here.

Treat Everyone Equal

Halifax, Nova Scotia

Moves
20 Feb 21

@fmf said
@Very-Rusty

I got roped into a scam a few years back. The Indonesian Youth Hostelling Association, after someone cancelled, needed a speaker for their annual conference in a hotel in Jakarta. I agreed to pose as an International Youth Hostelling Expert.

I had a PowerPoint loaded up with photos o ...[text shortened]... tional Youth Hostelling Federation [at that time].

Excruciating. But the gig paid a handsome fee.
WOW....It was not my intention for this to turn into a war of words just people who have had embarrassing and awkward moments is all. I would assume some of them could be considered funny, I hadn't thought about that or the war of words that would happen either.

-VR

Moves
20 Feb 21

Getting dumped, but not realising it

At school, about 16 years old, I was seeing a gorgeous Libyan girl who was certainly out of my league but we seemed to hit it off. She invited me to her house on a Saturday and we had lunch and walked in the park and talked, it was a nice day together.

On Monday I met her at break time and assured her how much I had enjoyed the day and got to know each other so much better. There was some chat and she looked at me and said “I feel we are just better friends”. I agreed wholeheartedly went off to my classes.

On the way I realised, awkwardly and embarrassingly, what she meant.

Pawn Whisperer

My Kingdom fora Pawn

Moves
20 Feb 21

@very-rusty said

-VR
Yes. Getting caught talking to you, b-hole.