Euro 2012

Euro 2012

Sports

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Moves
27 Jun 12

The post that was quoted here has been removed
Yeah, well. If you judge people from the comfyness of your armchair and the peace brought to your country in 2012 thanks to people during the past millennia, Winston Churchill is a war criminal and a mass murderer. Not to mention a male-chauvinist patriarch. See? Sociological historicism is Easy.

Richard

s

Moves
27 Jun 12

Originally posted by Shallow Blue
Yeah, well. If you judge people from the comfyness of your armchair and the peace brought to your country in 2012 thanks to people during the past millennia, Winston Churchill is a war criminal and a mass murderer. Not to mention a male-chauvinist patriarch. See? Sociological historicism is Easy.

Richard
Indeed revisionist history would rob us of all heroes who do not fit the politically correct mold. Yet the PC police demands that we accept the "nuance" and complexity of their purported heroes! There are no heroes without flaws, no saintly heroes who fit the molds and demands of today.

D

Moves
27 Jun 12
1 edit

D

Moves
27 Jun 12
2 edits

k
Flexible

The wrong side of 60

Moves
27 Jun 12

The post that was quoted here has been removed
Hey ho some people prefer the more iconoclastic historical perspectives, however if you sit by the river long enough their bodies of work will also float past.

I think any peasant whose town is besieged will grasp the fact that it is not their local warlord that is doing the besieging, are your sources claiming that the English forces were not running low on supplies and suffering losses due to dysentery?

Btw there is much larger historical gap between the 15th century and the 3rd/4th century Hun campaigns than there is between 21st and the 15th century but it does deter you from using them implicitly as a yardstick.

Thanks for telling me what IDF means in this context, it is customary to use a smiley face when attempting humor.

D

Moves
28 Jun 12

Santiago

Moves
28 Jun 12
1 edit

My mistake. I thought this was a football related thread.

As you were.

s

Moves
28 Jun 12

Originally posted by Hopster
My mistake. I thought this was a football related thread.

As you were.
I wish they'd not hijacked the football portion of this thread. I think Spain will ont win against either Italy or Germany, whomever moves forward to final!

rc

Moves
28 Jun 12

You ingrates, Dutchess, Kev and shallow Blue has raised the tone of the discussion by
providing some historical background on why certain rivalries exist. Its as much to do
with football as anything else in this thread, by extension.

S

Utrecht

Moves
28 Jun 12

Originally posted by scacchipazzo
I wish they'd not hijacked the football portion of this thread. I think Spain will ont win against either Italy or Germany, whomever moves forward to final!
I give Italy a reasonable chance against Spain and though I'm a fan the way Germany plays since a few years, Spain will blow them away.

rc

Moves
28 Jun 12

Originally posted by Sake
I give Italy a reasonable chance against Spain and though I'm a fan the way Germany plays since a few years, Spain will blow them away.
I dont think so, not this time. It will be interesting to see how Germany play, whether
they will sit behind the ball and try to counter like they did in the world cup or they will
come out and play their own game. I really hope Germany beat Italy and get to play
Spain it will be a real interesting contrast of styles, which i expect Germany to win. It
was a privilege to watch the world champions in extra time last night, they were
awesome.

rc

Moves
28 Jun 12
1 edit

double post

Moves
28 Jun 12

Blow them away? Certainly not. In fact, I find that draw difficult to call. Germany vs. Italy, too. Portugal vs. Spain was closer than many people would have believed! Whoever is going through tonight will have a difficult game on their hands against Spain, but then, Spain will not have a breeze of it against either of them. I'd say Spain vs. Italy is a 60/40 call or closer, while Germany vs. Italy and Spain vs. Germany are 55/45 at best.

These four are (with even Italy being renewed and more attacking) now the top four teams in Europe, and anyone claiming that any of them will find a game against any of the others easy thinks too lightly of it. Only Portugal vs. Germany I would have called a probable win for Germany, and only that because I believe Germany would have no problems containing Ronaldo (and Portugal still rely too much on him), but would also create enough chances of their own.

Richard

s

Moves
28 Jun 12

Originally posted by Shallow Blue
Blow them away? Certainly not. In fact, I find that draw difficult to call. Germany vs. Italy, too. Portugal vs. Spain was closer than many people would have believed! Whoever is going through tonight will have a difficult game on their hands against Spain, but then, Spain will not have a breeze of it against either of them. I'd say Spain vs. Italy is a ...[text shortened]... ugal still rely too much on him), but would also create enough chances of their own.

Richard
Excellent analysis indeed! I cannot fathom things shaking out otherwise. I also could not believe Portugal held Ronaldo in reserve or whether Ronaldo himself was too scared to take a late PK and be blamed for the loss. In effect many teams out think themselves into defeat whereas others seem to certainly have the mental steel needed to be contenders to be feared. Portugal certainly seems to have provided the blueprint to stop Spain or at least disrupt their flow.

S

Utrecht

Moves
28 Jun 12

Originally posted by scacchipazzo
Excellent analysis indeed! I cannot fathom things shaking out otherwise. I also could not believe Portugal held Ronaldo in reserve or whether Ronaldo himself was too scared to take a late PK and be blamed for the loss. In effect many teams out think themselves into defeat whereas others seem to certainly have the mental steel needed to be contenders to ...[text shortened]... gal certainly seems to have provided the blueprint to stop Spain or at least disrupt their flow.
Ronaldo's own ego put him on the 5th PK spot so the possible cheers could be all his. Just for that reason I loved it he didn't matter in the shoot out.
But what a great match it was!
The Germans are less athletic then the Portugese, less technical. Look at the easiness of Spain in controlling the ball, passing, their 'helicopterview', doing the unpredictable on purpose, when the ball is lost how they chase massively to get it back, Iniesta. All this 120 minutes if they have to. 2-0 with ease.