Euro 2012

Euro 2012

Sports

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

s

Moves
28 Jun 12

Wow! Stunning Azzurri victory. Score does not indicate how they got whooped by the Azzurri. Ticky-tacky PK awarded in the end by an otherwise competent official! Go Azzurri. Forza, Italia! I did not think they could do it until that first goal. I admit I picked Germany, but also thought Italy would be mighty tough against a team they own!

F

Moves
29 Jun 12

Originally posted by scacchipazzo
Wow! Stunning Azzurri victory. Score does not indicate how they got whooped by the Azzurri.
I disagree. I think Germany played well and them being 2-0 down at the end of the 90 minutes was not so much a reflection of how the game had been, as a reflection of the fact that Italy had scored twice in quick succession during a sequence of play in the 1st half. I think Italy deserved their win but to say Germany "got whooped" rings false to me.

m
Ajarn

Wat?

Moves
29 Jun 12

The post that was quoted here has been removed
Well now that the semis are out of the way, I'll have my little say.

Dear Duchess, I am abhorred by your analysis of Churchill. He was very aware of the Germanic intent of taking Europe, which they would have done easily without the English blood.

The British didn't need to invade Poland or defend it, but they sure as hell went across the water to start defending an anihilation of the Netherlands, Poland, France and the rest of it. We went around to Africa to come in from south, we went east and west, to defend Europe, when our own land was not under threat, at the time. Don't you ahev neighbours you would like to rely upon if you became in need of help?

Abismal remarks, even though I respect you. Your view is, and can never be, the same as a European's view. Books never tell the whole truth, never mind the missing importances. Read all you like - but to diss Churchill.... I thought you were way above that, my dear!

He had balls, big balls, and not the scrotum type. He took on an immense responsibility, and he did it well, and fought to the end. And yes, we had help from America. Why was that? Because Roosevelt also knew that if Germany took Britain, and Europe was German - ahum?? America, with the Germans in cahoots with the Japs, before they anihilated them afterwards, would have have taken USA by storm too! Think about that, and the political issues you easily wash away by the 'perpretator' Churchill.

He was a hero, and always will be!!

-m.

rc

Moves
29 Jun 12

Wow! Stunning Azzurri victory. Score does not indicate how they got whooped by the Azzurri. Ticky-tacky PK awarded in the end by an otherwise competent official! Go Azzurri. Forza, Italia! I did not think they could do it until that first goal. I admit I picked Germany, but also thought Italy would be mighty tough against a team they own!
yes Germany, like they did against the Spanish in the world cup, changed their game to try to incorporate the Italian playing style, it did not work. Pirlo ruled the midfield. Germany had no answer to the long ball through the middle, which is rather puzzling considering the England game. Italy will be an excellent match for Spain hopefully as both teams are excellent in possession and have many creative players,

s

Moves
29 Jun 12

Originally posted by FMF
I disagree. I think Germany played well and them being 2-0 down at the end of the 90 minutes was not so much a reflection of how the game had been, as a reflection of the fact that Italy had scored twice in quick succession during a sequence of play in the 1st half. I think Italy deserved their win but to say Germany "got whooped" rings false to me.
Just look at the game stats. Germany were whooped and whooped bad. All stats favor Italy. It really should have been a 4-0 win!

rc

Moves
29 Jun 12

Just look at the game stats. Germany were whooped and whooped bad. All stats favor Italy. It really should have been a 4-0 win!
Lol, behave yourself scacchi dude

rc

Moves
29 Jun 12

Originally posted by mikelom
Well now that the semis are out of the way, I'll have my little say.

Dear Duchess, I am abhorred by your analysis of Churchill. He was very aware of the Germanic intent of taking Europe, which they would have done easily without the English blood.

The British didn't need to invade Poland or defend it, but they sure as hell went across the water to star ...[text shortened]... ly wash away by the 'perpretator' Churchill.

He was a hero, and always will be!!

-m.
He was and remains a war criminal, an inept commander as ever there was, one need
only look as far as the fiasco at Gallipoli. Had the shoe been on the other foot, he would
have been tried and convicted, for the bombing of Dresden if nothing else.

s

Moves
29 Jun 12

Originally posted by robbie carrobie
Lol, behave yourself scacchi dude
The much vaunted Sauerkraut, oops, German scoring machine was held in check. Germany had no answer. They smelled goal, but only Balotelli's. This was a real whooping unlike the Germans had taken in 15+ matches. Germany had not even trailed one minute before yesterday. Germany had some spirited comeback attempts all foiled by Buffon and the catenaccio of old. You could see it in the German fans faces. Tears, frustration, the realization that 0-2 to Italy is a death kiss 9x out of ten!

rc

Moves
29 Jun 12

The much vaunted Sauerkraut, oops, German scoring machine was held in check. Germany had no answer. They smelled goal, but only Balotelli's. This was a real whooping unlike the Germans had taken in 15+ matches. Germany had not even trailed one minute before yesterday. Germany had some spirited comeback attempts all foiled by Buffon and the catenaccio of ...[text shortened]... ans faces. Tears, frustration, the realization that 0-2 to Italy is a death kiss 9x out of ten!
Karma might get you yet dude, the Spain game is hopefully going to be awesome, I do
hope the two teams dont cancel each other out with ticky-tacky football and no goals.

Moves
29 Jun 12

Don't talk nonsense. The teams were quite well matched; in fact, without the genius (and lucky!) boot of Balottelli, the Italians would have lost this. In the second half, they had to fall back on their old game of defending - though it must be admitted that they weren't as extreme as they used to be in this strategy even then - and the Germans could easily have scored another.
As for "otherwise competent"... well, I'll grant you that the hand ball could be given either way, but you'll have to concede that there could have been several more such decisions and the Germans could have had a few more corner kicks. And if they had, who knows? Italy was getting tired as it was.

No, nobody got whooped, and I don't care how much your wannabe-old-country green-white-red-tinted colonial glasses claim someone did. Germany and Italy played a good, interesting game, and Italy won. But they won because of two flashes of attacking brilliance coming out of a rejuvenated style of play against a similarly improved attacking team, not because they dominated anyone.

Richard

Moves
29 Jun 12

Methinks someone had too much of the Chianti, and that not the black cock type, but the kind which comes in straw-clad flasks.

Richard

Moves
29 Jun 12

Originally posted by robbie carrobie
He was and remains a war criminal, an inept commander as ever there was, one need only look as far as the fiasco at Gallipoli. Had the shoe been on the other foot, he would have been tried and convicted, for the bombing of Dresden if nothing else.
You really are an Irishman, aren't you? Your chosen home people's behaviour in WWII hasn't been forgotten.

Richard

rc

Moves
29 Jun 12
1 edit

Originally posted by Shallow Blue
You really are an Irishman, aren't you? Your chosen home people's behaviour in WWII hasn't been forgotten.

Richard
you bet, now where's that Semtex! 😛

F

Moves
29 Jun 12

Originally posted by Shallow Blue
No, nobody got whooped, and I don't care how much your wannabe-old-country green-white-red-tinted colonial glasses claim someone did. Germany and Italy played a good, interesting game, and Italy won. But they won because of two flashes of attacking brilliance coming out of a rejuvenated style of play against a similarly improved attacking team, not because they dominated anyone.
I agree with this.

D

Moves
29 Jun 12
3 edits