1. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    28 Mar '23 02:43
    In the public domain in countries like the U.S. and the U.K. the word "woke" has been appropriated and, in most cases, shorn of specific meaning, and it is being attached to anything in the political and social domain that the user of the word dislikes or opposes.

Merriam-Webster defines "woke" as "...aware of and actively attentive to important societal facts and issues especially issues of racial and social justice."

If we take THIS definition rather than the vaguely-defined definition that is being wielded in "culture wars" like the ones going on in the U.S. at the moment [often in a demagogic way and on both ends of the political spectrum]...

...to what extent do "woke values" and various Christian values overlap?
  2. Joined
    20 May '16
    Moves
    28 Mar '23 02:51
    @fmf said
    In the public domain in countries like the U.S. and the U.K. the word "woke" has been appropriated and, in most cases, shorn of specific meaning, and it is being attached to anything in the political and social domain that the user of the word dislikes or opposes.

Merriam-Webster defines "woke" as [b]"...aware of and actively attentive to important societal facts and issues es ...[text shortened]... e political spectrum]...

I wonder which woke wokie wrote that one? Anyone else been noticing that with them lately?

You’re welcome to jump over to my thread and help figure that one out if you like.
  3. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    28 Mar '23 02:52
    @fmf said

Merriam-Webster defines "woke" as [b]"...aware of and actively attentive to important societal facts and issues es ...[text shortened]... e political spectrum]...

I think there are loads of examples of this, some of which are linked to my proposed ideas regarding the end of the subscription model” in the other thread.

Examples:
    - homosexuality
    - mixed race marriages
    - women leaders, in church specifically
  4. Joined
    20 May '16
    Moves
    28 Mar '23 02:55
    @divegeester said
    I think there are loads of examples of this, some of which are linked to my proposed ideas regarding the end of the subscription model” in the other thread.

Examples:
    - homosexuality
    - mixed race marriages
    You also my friend.
  5. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    28 Mar '23 03:17
    @mike69 said
    You’re welcome to jump over to my thread and help figure that one out if you like.
    No thanks.
  6. Joined
    20 May '16
    Moves
    28 Mar '23 03:18
    @fmf said
    No thanks.
    I imagine not😅!
  7. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    28 Mar '23 03:19
    @mike69 said
    I wonder which woke wokie wrote that one? Anyone else been noticing that with them lately?
    Wrote what? Who is "them"?
  8. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    28 Mar '23 03:20
    @mike69 said
    I imagine not!
    I haven't posted on the Debates Forum since I stopped about 8 years ago. I find it to be a cesspool.
  9. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    28 Mar '23 03:21
    @divegeester said
    Examples:
    - homosexuality
    - mixed race marriages
    The question is: to what extent do "woke values" and various Christian values overlap?

I don't see how your examples illustrate an overlap.
  10. Joined
    20 May '16
    Moves
    28 Mar '23 03:25
    @fmf said
    The question is: to what extent do "woke values" and various Christian values overlap?

I don't see how your examples illustrate an overlap.
    No thanks, I find this one worse.
  11. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    28 Mar '23 03:29
    @mike69 said
    No thanks, I find this one worse.
    This forum? Or this question?

I think your thread on the Deabtes Forum is about U.S. politics.

This question is about religious / moral values and so belongs here on the Spirituality Forum.

If you want to talk politics on the other forum, that is your prerogative. If you want to talk about Christian values, then this is the place.
  12. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    28 Mar '23 03:35
    @divegeester said
    - homosexuality
    For most Christians ~ and certainly according to the Bible, as far as I am aware ~ homosexual acts are "sinful". But, without approving of gay sexual orientation, can't Christians - in the spirit of "love your neighbour" - be against systematic discrimination against homosexuals? That would be an overlap, would it not?
  13. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    28 Mar '23 03:37
    @mike69 said
    You also my friend.
    No thanks.
  14. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    28 Mar '23 03:38
    @fmf said
    For most Christians ~ and certainly according to the Bible, as far as I am aware ~ homosexual acts are "sinful". But, without approving of gay sexual orientation, can't Christians - in the spirit of "love your neighbour" - be against systematic discrimination against homosexuals? That would be an overlap, would it not?
    Being anti the sin, not anti the sinner should be the way forward in that scenario imo.
  15. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    28 Mar '23 03:491 edit
    @divegeester said
    Being anti the sin, not anti the sinner should be the way forward in that scenario imo.
    I would say that the degree to which some advocates of societal acceptance of "sinful" behaviours have been so vehement and sanctimonious - and essentially impatient - has been met with exasperated pushback these last ten or so years.

Both left and right are devouring themselves and each other with stances rooted in identity politics [and exploiting feelings of grievance, on both sides of the aisle].

But can some overlap not be found in Christian values regarding tolerance, compassion, and forgiveness?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree