What other hope is there?

What other hope is there?

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Moves
03 Jan 18

Originally posted by @fmf
Ah, so it is you who seeks to "decide" after all. And if you are a believer in Christ and they are not, what does whether or not you agree with them matter? It's odd how you don't - by now - realize what a vacuous OP it is.
When you demand Christians for evidence for the existence of God, it is you who seeks to "decide" after all whether or not what they say is evidence or not. How is that any different?

F

Moves
03 Jan 18

Originally posted by @dj2becker
When did I say they have no hope?
You said, for example, "Amazing how people are pissed off by the fact that that their world view doesn't seem to offer them any kind of hope".

You know what my optimistic non-theistic outlook is for the world and for mankind and my reasons for it. Do you adjudge my outlook to be better than your Christian outlook?

F

Moves
03 Jan 18

When you demand Christians for evidence for the existence of God, it is you who seeks to "decide" after all whether or not what they say is evidence or not. How is that any different?
The parallel you seek to draw is a non-sequitur. To lift what another poster said; You alone walk your spiritual path. It doesn't matter that it doesn't make sense to others, or work for them. You've got to go with what works for you. You would feel a lack of hope without your religious beliefs. This is not something that people who don't have your religious beliefs are required to address. My worldview gives me more hope than yours would. Indeed it's essentially impossible for me to adopt your worldview.

Moves
03 Jan 18

You said, for example, "Amazing how people are pissed off by the fact that that their world view doesn't seem to offer them any kind of hope".

You know what my optimistic non-theistic outlook is for the world and for mankind and my reasons for it. Do you adjudge my outlook to be better than your Christian outlook?
What an odd question. No you haven't given me any reason to believe so and when I asked you directly whether you thought your current beliefs gave you more hope than your previous beliefs you seemed quite upset and called me a jerk. So there is that.

F

Moves
03 Jan 18

What an odd question. No you haven't given me any reason to believe so ...
That is your answer to this...?

But wasn't this the kind of response your OP sought to elicit?

If my worldview is not deemed - by you - to be better than and superior to yours, what do you think are the repercussions for [1] you, and [2] me?

Moves
03 Jan 18
1 edit

That is your answer to this...?

[b]You know what my optimistic non-theistic outlook is for the world and for mankind and my reasons for it. Do you adjudge my outlook to be better than your Christian outlook?

But wasn't this the kind of response your OP sought to elicit?

If my worldview is not deemed - by you - to be better than and superior to yours, what do you think are the repercussions for [1] you, and [2] me?[/b]
What I am really interested in are your sincere thoughts. I find it interesting that you cannot seem to give me a straight answer as to whether or not you have more hope now than when you were a Christian.

If my evidence for the existence of God is not deemed - by you - to be be credible, what do you think are the repercussions for [1] you, and [2] me?

F

Moves
03 Jan 18

I find it interesting that you cannot seem to give me a straight answer as to whether or not you have more hope now than when you were a Christian.
You know what my answer is to this because I have addressed this issue repeatedly in various ways in posts directly addressed to you over the last 12 months.

F

Moves
03 Jan 18

If my evidence for the existence of God is not deemed - by you - to be be credible, what do you think are the repercussions for [1] you, and [2] me?
I don't see how this evasive counter-question answers this which is pertinent to your OP:

If my worldview is not deemed - by you - to be better than and superior to yours, what do you think are the repercussions for [1] you, and [2] me?[/b]

Moves
03 Jan 18

You know what my answer is to this because I have addressed this issue repeatedly in various ways in posts directly addressed to you over the last 12 months.
Whatever you say FMF.

F

Moves
03 Jan 18

Whatever you say FMF.
You ignored this: You would feel a lack of hope without your religious beliefs. This is not something that people who don't have your religious beliefs are required to address. My worldview gives me more hope than yours would. Indeed it's essentially impossible for me to adopt your worldview.

Moves
03 Jan 18

I don't see how this evasive counter-question answers this which is pertinent to your OP:

If my worldview is not deemed - by you - to be better than and superior to yours, what do you think are the repercussions for [1] you, and [2] me?
[/b]
Conveniently so.

What do you think the repercussions are?

Moves
03 Jan 18

You ignored this: You would feel a lack of hope without your religious beliefs. This is not something that people who don't have your religious beliefs are required to address. My worldview gives me more hope than yours would. Indeed it's essentially impossible for me to adopt your worldview.
Yes you say it gives you more hope but I can't see how it can since your hope is only for this lifetime and based upon perishable things, yet my hope as I see it is eternal and based upon the imperishable.

F

Moves
03 Jan 18

Conveniently so.

What do you think the repercussions are?
You go first with your answer to my question about repercussions you think there would be from people answering your OP in the way you want. And then I will answer your echo of that question which you directed back at me in lieu of an answer to mine.

F

Moves
03 Jan 18

Yes you say it gives you more hope but I can't see how it can since your hope is only for this lifetime and based upon perishable things, yet my hope as I see it is eternal and based upon the imperishable.
So, in the spirit of your OP, I would have to offer you the notion of eternal life - at the very least - and then perhaps something more that adds value to your Christian beliefs - for you to deem it "superior" and "better" to what you already believe? This is the sort of discourse that you sought with your OP?

Moves
03 Jan 18

So, in the spirit of your OP, I would have to offer you the notion of eternal life - at the very least - and then perhaps something more that adds value to your Christian beliefs - for you to deem it "superior" and "better" to what you already believe? This is the sort of discourse that you sought with your OP?
If the OP got you to honestly evaluate your own beliefs and the hope that they bring you then I guess it achieved something.