What other hope is there?

What other hope is there?

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

F

Moves
02 Jan 18

Originally posted by @dj2becker
This is a debate and discussion forum. No one is obliged to answer any questions that they aren't comfortable answering. I am aware of the hope that I find in my religious beliefs.
You have asked non-believers to offer you something that YOU will find superior to what you already place your hopes in, which, in brief, is eternal life. You must surely recognize the naivety and nonsense of such a question.

Kali

PenTesting

Moves
02 Jan 18
1 edit

Aren't you the one claiming that your righteousness, good works and your ability to follow the commands of Christ can save you? If not, feel free to set the record straight.
Discussed that already and wont be going down that road again.

But a short answer since I recognise that you are slow and false doctrines of your church are ingrained in your little brain:

Jesus Christ saves everyone who he considers worthy
Nobody can save themselves.
Jesus decides who is worthy by how they live ie their good works and righteousness.
Jesus does not care about mouth worshippers who profess their faith and then do not follow his commandments.

F

Moves
02 Jan 18

I am interested in what hope if any you have with your belief system.
As for me, if you are interested, you can look at any of the various 'end times' threads I contributed to. There's loads of detail there about the nature of and reasons for my hopes.

Moves
02 Jan 18

Originally posted by @sonship
Two things I wish some of you would stop mentioning as really significant:
1.) How many chess games someone played before posting in forums.
2.) The fact that someone left and returned.
I’m sure there is a lot of things you prefer some of us would stop mentioning, such as:
- when you feel you have been mistreated you find the knowledge that that person will be burnt alive for all eternity helps you to forgive them
- believing that there are beings on other worlds observing the eternal suffering as a warning to them
- believing that Jesus will glory in the endless woe of the lost
- believing that rejecting certain of your teachings will preclude someone from salvation

And the list of strange beliefs goes on.

Moves
02 Jan 18

Originally posted by @sonship
Just go on being brazen about it.
I’m expecting an apology for your lie sonship. And you know it was a lie don’t you?

Moves
02 Jan 18

Originally posted by @fmf
My hopes, optimism and positivity - integral parts of my character - would centre around and tackle whatever the challenges and realities were that arose in the wake of losing my job and family. Surely it would be the same for you?
The Christian believes that everything works together for the good of those that love God. So even if we are not in control and we have lost everything we can still have hope and trust in God. I imagine it must a lot harder if you don't believe in God. And on the other hand as well as Chesterton put it, “The worst moment for an atheist is when he is really thankful and has no one to thank.”

F

Moves
02 Jan 18

The Christian believes that everything works together for the good of those that love God. So even if we are not in control and we have lost everything we can still have hope and trust in God. I imagine it must a lot harder if you don't believe in God. And on the other hand as well as Chesterton put it, “The worst moment for an atheist is when he is really thankful and has no one to thank.”
If your religious beliefs give you the hope you need to get through life, then that's good for you (and others like you). You'll get no dissent - on what is a purely personal matter for you - from most non-believers, I'm sure.

Moves
02 Jan 18
2 edits

If your religious beliefs give you the hope you need to get through life, then that's good for you (and others like you). You'll get no dissent - on what is a purely personal matter for you - from most non-believers, I'm sure.
But ask them what hope they have and all you get is 11 thumb downs. No dissent whatsoever. 😲

F

Moves
02 Jan 18

But ask them what hope they have and all you get is 11 thumb downs. No dissent whatsoever. 😲
In fact, your OP asked them to "to provide [you] with a better alternative", where you would be the arbiter of what is and isn't better than the stuff you believe. The 'dissent' in the face of this rather silly question has been clear and succinct. And you appear to have simply blanked it all out.

Moves
02 Jan 18
1 edit

In fact, your OP asked them to "to provide [you] with a better alternative", where you would be the arbiter of what is and isn't better than the stuff you believe. The 'dissent' in the face of this rather silly question has been clear and succinct. And you appear to have simply blanked it all out.
Did you thumb it down with your 10 other accounts or have the other 10 nominated you to be their spokesmen?

Out of interest, would you therefore also say that it would be silly for someone to ask for evidence for the existence of God if they would be the arbiter of what is and what isn't evidence?

F

Moves
02 Jan 18
1 edit

Did you thumb it down with your 10 other accounts or have the other 10 nominated you to be their spokesmen?
You're hoping for 11 people to indulge your silliness in the same way as I do? All of them? There are 6-7 pertinent responses to your OP by non-believers on the first couple of pages. For all genuine intents and purposes, you have just ignored them. I can't remember ever giving anyone a thumbs down.

F

Moves
02 Jan 18

Out of interest, would you therefore also say that it would be silly for someone to ask for evidence for the existence of God if they would be the arbiter of what is and what isn't evidence?
No I wouldn't. It's interesting to hear what evidence people feel they have regardless of whether one finds it convincing or not. This would be a normal adult kind of discourse.

Your 'try-to-talk-me-out-of-my-religion-and-I'll-tell-you-if-you've-succeeded-or-not' gimmick has a much more trite and adolescent feel. Hence my use of the words "silly" and "daft".

Secret RHP coder

on the payroll

Moves
02 Jan 18

Yes you have hope for this lifetime while you remain in good health and while your family and friends are still alive and in good health. What hope do you have when those things are taken away?
There's always the hope that there is no malevolent entity tormenting anyone in an afterlife. 🙂

Moves
02 Jan 18

All my 'personal hope' is reserved for this life time (due of course to the finality of death). I do however harbour 'future hope' for my young relatives and yes, humanity as a whole.

I'm good with that.

Texasman

San Antonio Texas

Moves
03 Jan 18

Originally posted by @divegeester
I’ve just seen this latest little snide from you, and that’s right I didn’t say anything of the sort.

You have “left” this site and returned so many times it’s like your on a piece of elastic! On one of those occasions you left leaving a long pious post about “shaking the sand of this forum from your feet”, other times you just flounced off, these o ...[text shortened]... in here and we can all once again see how you and Robbie Carrobie behaved on it. I have it here.
OK. Whatever.