What other hope is there?

What other hope is there?

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Moves
03 Jan 18

Originally posted by @fmf
In your OP. You asked non-believers to provide you with a better worldview than yours as an alternative to your belief in Jesus Christ.
An alternative is not necessarily a replacement.

Moves
03 Jan 18

Well, you know about mine.
When examined closely it seems they boil down to your character rather than your worldview.

F

Moves
03 Jan 18

Originally posted by @dj2becker
An alternative is not necessarily a replacement.
If it were "superior" and "better" than yours and you were offered it as an "alternative", just as you requested [in yourOP], it would not replace your worldview? And according to whose perspective would it need to be "superior" and "better" than yours?

Moves
03 Jan 18

Do you sincerely believe that non-believers have worldviews that give them no hope? Or are you getting in a tangle and, in fact, asserting that non-believers have worldviews that would not give you as much hope as you get from your belief in Jesus Christ?
When did I say they have no hope? You are the one who is seemingly getting into a tangle here.

Moves
03 Jan 18

"Superior" according to whom?
According to them of course. 🙄

F

Moves
03 Jan 18

When examined closely it seems they boil down to your character rather than your worldview.
I don't think so. When examined carefully my worldview boils down to grasp of relevant empirical data, wide experience in activities closely integrated with the mechanics and reasons for hope and being hopeful, along with education and - yes - character. How else can one possibly end up with a personal worldview? If your character needs supernatural notions to sustain its sense of hope, that's OK.

Moves
03 Jan 18

If it were "superior" and "better" than yours and you were offered it as an "alternative", just as you requested [in yourOP], it would not replace your worldview? And according to whose perspective would it need to be "superior" and "better" than yours?
No one has taken up the challenge yet, I asked you directly whether you or not you feel your current beliefs provide you with more hope than your Christian beliefs did and you dodged the question very elegantly.

Moves
03 Jan 18

I don't think so. When examined carefully my worldview boils down to grasp of relevant empirical data, wide experience in activities closely integrated with the mechanics and reasons for hope and being hopeful, along with education and - yes - character. How else can one possibly end up with a personal worldview? If your character needs supernatural notions to sustain its sense of hope, that's OK.
It if really is OK, what are you on about?

F

Moves
03 Jan 18

FMF: "Superior" according to whom?

According to them of course. 🙄
So if a non-believer believes their worldview is superior to yours - and it's them and not you who adjudges whether or not it's superior - you will accept that?

F

Moves
03 Jan 18

It if really is OK, what are you on about?
?

F

Moves
03 Jan 18
1 edit

I asked you directly whether you or not you feel your current beliefs provide you with more hope than your Christian beliefs did and you dodged the question very elegantly.
We talked about it before, but you didn't engage it and acted like a jerk instead. So you missed your chance.

Moves
03 Jan 18

So if a non-believer believes their worldview is superior to yours - and it's them and not you who adjudges whether or not it's superior - you will accept that?
Well I will analyse their response and decide whether or not I agree with them obviously. 🙄

Moves
03 Jan 18

We talked about it before, but you didn't engage it and acted like a jerk instead. So you missed your chance.
I certainly don't remember you giving me a straight answer. If you did and it was worth repeating I'm sure you would but obviously for you at this point in time it is very convenient not to give a straight answer so pretend rather that you did and that I'm a jerk instead.

F

Moves
03 Jan 18

Well I will analyse their response and decide whether or not I agree with them obviously. 🙄
Ah, so it is you who seeks to "decide" after all. And if you are a believer in Christ and they are not, what does whether or not you agree with them matter? It's odd how you don't - by now - realize what a vacuous OP it is.

F

Moves
03 Jan 18

I certainly don't remember you giving me a straight answer. If you did and it was worth repeating I'm sure you would but obviously for you at this point in time it is very convenient not to give a straight answer so pretend rather that you did and that I'm a jerk instead.
And so there we have it - your punchline.