What atheism really teaches

What atheism really teaches

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cornovii

North of the Tamar

Moves
08 May 13
1 edit

Originally posted by robbie carrobie
well it depends, for example, if i was a nominal Christian and had a genuine fear of burning in some fiery place of torment for all eternity, its going to influence my behavior at present, isn't it. I am going to do all that is in my power to avert that destiny, real or otherwise.
I doubt it. Look at the list of countries which use capital punishment for instance, they still have people committing crimes. Besides, some Christians believe they only have to repent and they are saved.

Anyhow, my question was in reference to humanism or atheism which is what the thread is about.

rc

Moves
08 May 13
2 edits

Originally posted by Proper Knob
I doubt it. Look at the list of countries which use capital punishment for instance, they still have people committing crimes. Besides, some Christians believe they only have to repent and they are saved.

Anyhow, my question was in reference to humanism or atheism which is what the thread is about.
yes, but the difference is of course, that you will only face the destiny of capital punishment if you are caught, which diminishes the deterrent and thus behavior. In respect to atheism, the individual becomes the focus of all that is deemed virtuous or otherwise except with respect to secular law, so this must have some kind of effect on behavior. For example, if you firmly believed that this life was all there is, would you not take steps to prolong it for as long as you could?

Cornovii

North of the Tamar

Moves
08 May 13

yes, but the difference is of course, that you will only face the destiny of capital punishment if you are caught, which diminishes the deterrent and thus behavior. In respect to atheism, the individual becomes the focus of all that is deemed virtuous or otherwise except with respect to secular law, so this must have some kind of effect on behavior. ...[text shortened]... hat this life was all there is, would you not take steps to prolong it for as long as you could?
What effect on behaviour? You've stated this twice but haven't really elaborated.

How am I going to prolong my life? The biggest risk I face is being killed in a road traffic accident, but I still drive my car. If I wanted to prolong my life as mush as possible I would remain locked in my house all day.

Cape Town

Moves
08 May 13

For example, if you firmly believed that this life was all there is, would you not take steps to prolong it for as long as you could?
In my experience, theists take just as many steps at prolonging life as atheists do.

The Near Genius

Fort Gordon

Moves
08 May 13

Originally posted by Kepler
I'd have thought the original Wicker Man would have been more appropriate. I can see RJ as Lord Summerisle, sacrificing a virgin (Edward Woodward) to the old gods.
Do not forget that there is a true God as mentioned by RJ (Edward Woodward) in this scene:

rc

Moves
08 May 13
1 edit

What effect on behaviour? You've stated this twice but haven't really elaborated.

How am I going to prolong my life? The biggest risk I face is being killed in a road traffic accident, but I still drive my car. If I wanted to prolong my life as mush as possible I would remain locked in my house all day.
no that would be irrational, you would grow fat, become obese and die prematurely. There must be some way that atheism effects your behavior.

rc

Moves
08 May 13

Originally posted by twhitehead
In my experience, theists take just as many steps at prolonging life as atheists do.
yes but we are not talking of theists.

Cornovii

North of the Tamar

Moves
08 May 13

no that would be irrational, you would grow fat, become obese and die prematurely. There must be some way that atheism effects your behavior.
Not necessarily, I could have a nice little gym setup in my cellar and keep myself in top condition.

You keep telling me that my atheism must effect my behaviour, but as of yet you haven't come up with anything.

rc

Moves
08 May 13

Not necessarily, I could have a nice little gym setup in my cellar and keep myself in top condition.

You keep telling me that my atheism must effect my behaviour, but as of yet you haven't come up with anything.
So atheism has no effect on your behavior? Does it not influence the books that you are more likely to gravitate towards?

Moves
08 May 13

yes, but the difference is of course, that you will only face the destiny of capital punishment if you are caught, which diminishes the deterrent and thus behavior. In respect to atheism, the individual becomes the focus of all that is deemed virtuous or otherwise except with respect to secular law, so this must have some kind of effect on behavior. ...[text shortened]... hat this life was all there is, would you not take steps to prolong it for as long as you could?
For example, if you firmly believed that this life was all there is, would you not take steps to prolong it for as long as you could?

there is more to life than length (so mrs carrobie says anyway) there are other things to take into account, such as quality of life. its no good staying indoors all day to avoid accidents and only eating healthy food and drink because the quality of life can be diminished and not make life worth while.

in scotland life is so bad people drink pints of heroin and top their pizzas with quality street and lard. this is them finding their balance between quality of life over longevity.

rc

Moves
08 May 13
1 edit

Originally posted by stellspalfie
[b]For example, if you firmly believed that this life was all there is, would you not take steps to prolong it for as long as you could?

there is more to life than length (so mrs carrobie says anyway) there are other things to take into account, such as quality of life. its no good staying indoors all day to avoid accidents and only eating health ...[text shortened]... lity street and lard. this is them finding their balance between quality of life over longevity.[/b]
I can drink the water from my local burn, running off the campsie hills, beautiful, clear, sparkling, oxygenated mineral water, can you?

Moves
08 May 13

So atheism has no effect on your behavior? Does it not influence the books that you are more likely to gravitate towards?
i dont think atheism has an effect on books and behavior. its more like it runs parallel to certain behavior and interests.

an atheist is probably more likely to be interested in science and read more science fiction, i think they go hand in hand but have no direct influence on each other.

Cornovii

North of the Tamar

Moves
08 May 13

Possibly. I have read books on religion and atheism, my girlfriend who would also call herself an atheist has no desire to read any books on those topics. They don't interest her in the slightest. I can think of other friends who would call themselves atheists who also have no interest In reading the same books as I do.

rc

Moves
08 May 13
1 edit

Possibly. I have read books on religion and atheism, my girlfriend who would also call herself an atheist has no desire to read any books on those topics. They don't interest her in the slightest. I can think of other friends who would call themselves atheists who also have no interest In reading the same books as I do.
so are you saying atheism is essentially behaviourally impotent? or that the designation atheism is so broad a term that to encompass any kind of general synopsis of behavioural traits associated with atheism, is impossible.

Moves
08 May 13

I can drink the water from my local burn, running off the campsie hills, beautiful, clear, sparkling, oxygenated mineral water, can you?

only after you have scooped out the dead tramps and crack heads.

i can, its so posh around here even the sewers smell of pimms. although we did see a cow take an almighty poo in the river a few days ago, which would make me think twice.