What atheism really teaches

What atheism really teaches

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

O

Moves
03 May 13

Originally posted by RJHinds
How about this stated value of the humanist?

[b]"They do not expect justice in another life, and so work for justice in this one."

How do humanist expect to get justice in this life? Haven't they determined that working for justice in this life is futile by now?[/b]
Would it be unfair to suggest that your statement would indicate a certain degree of futility with regard to seeking justice in this life if you have your kind of religious belief?

P

Moves
03 May 13

[b]What about the question at the end of my repeated post below on explaining humanism?

Humanism is EVIL!

An insane form of thinking that invades the human mind convincing it of it's superiority over God and His Word.

Humanism is a direct enemy of Christianity. Humanism and the Church of Satan believes that you can do anything you want, ju ...[text shortened]... humanism_is_evil.htm

[b]Hunanism seems like the religion of the Atheist, dosen't it?
[/b]
Humanism is a direct enemy of Christianity... Humanism is evil because it does NOT recognize the Bible as God's Word.

I don't think it is any more of an enemy of Christianity than any of the non-Christian religions and less so than many. It is only some flavours of Christianity that do recognise the Bible as God's word.

Humanism is wicked because it promotes the acceptance of homosexuality, witchcraft, abortion, assisted suicide, and every other evil act (as long as they think no one is being hurt).

Humanism does not promote the acceptance of witchcraft. Humanism itself does not explicitly promote the acceptance of any of those other things either, and there are flavours of Christianity (or at least many Christians) that also accept these things.

An insane form of thinking that invades the human mind convincing it of it's superiority over God and His Word.

I don't think you can consider yourself superior to something you do not believe exists. Are you superior to Vishnu?

The Near Genius

Fort Gordon

Moves
05 May 13

Originally posted by Penguin
[b]Humanism is a direct enemy of Christianity... Humanism is evil because it does NOT recognize the Bible as God's Word.

I don't think it is any more of an enemy of Christianity than any of the non-Christian religions and less so than many. It is only some flavours of Christianity that do recognise the Bible as God's word.

Humanism is wic ...[text shortened]... sider yourself superior to something you do not believe exists. Are you superior to Vishnu?
YOU ARE WITHOUT EXCUSE.

For since the creation of the world God's invisible qualities--his eternal power and divine nature--have been clearly seen, being understood from what has been made, so that people are without excuse.

(Romans 1:20 NIV)

P

Moves
07 May 13

YOU ARE WITHOUT EXCUSE.

[b]For since the creation of the world God's invisible qualities--his eternal power and divine nature--have been clearly seen, being understood from what has been made, so that people are without excuse.

(Romans 1:20 NIV)[/b]
Yeah, so clearly that far less than 1/3 the population purport to believe in the Christian God and those that do are split in many ways over what exactly is 'clearly shown'.

http://www.pewforum.org/global-religious-landscape-exec.aspx
http://www.pewforum.org/Christian/Global-Christianity-worlds-christian-population.aspx

I don't know if anyone else can be bothered to research but I suspect the other religions are similarly split internally, almost as if they are all man-made rather than divinely inspired...

--- Penguin.

P

Moves
07 May 13

Originally posted by robbie carrobie
Recently we had a summation of the Bibles message, you know, the earth will become a paradise, people will live in harmony forever etc etc i wonder of our atheist friends can provide a similar summation of their message,
Many atheists and agnostics consider themselves humanists. Asking what humanism teaches is a better question. Although the roots of humanism go back to ancient Greece, it boils down to the Golden Rule and following all of the loving, compassionate concepts embedded in religions but has no god figure or threat of hell fire and damnation.

Wikepedia: Humanism is a group of philosophies and ethical perspectives which emphasize the value and agency of human beings, individually, and collectively, and generally prefers individual thought and evidence (rationalism, empiricism) over established doctrine or faith (fideism). The term humanism can be ambiguously diverse, and there has been a persistent confusion between several related uses of the term because different intellectual movements have identified with it over time.[1] In philosophy and social science, humanism refers to a perspective that affirms some notion of a "human nature" (contrasted with anti-humanism). In modern times, many humanist movements have become strongly aligned with secularism, with the term Humanism often used as a byword for non-theistic beliefs about ideas such as meaning and purpose, however early humanists were often religious, such as Ulrich von Hutten who was a strong supporter of Martin Luther and the Reformation.

The Near Genius

Fort Gordon

Moves
08 May 13
1 edit

Originally posted by Penguin
Yeah, so clearly that far less than 1/3 the population purport to believe in the Christian God and those that do are split in many ways over what exactly is 'clearly shown'.

http://www.pewforum.org/global-religious-landscape-exec.aspx
http://www.pewforum.org/Christian/Global-Christianity-worlds-christian-population.aspx

I don't know if anyone else can ...[text shortened]... ternally, almost as if they are all man-made rather than divinely inspired...

--- Penguin.
Man-made and Satan inspired. However, Jesus gave Simon son of Jonah the new name Peter, meaning a rock which He said His church would be built upon and predicted that Satan would not be able to prevail over it.

Jesus answered and said to him, “Blessed are you, Simon Bar-Jonah, for flesh and blood has not revealed this to you, but My Father who is in heaven. And I also say to you that you are Peter, and on this rock I will build My church, and the gates of Hades shall not prevail against it.

(Matthew 16:17-18 NKJV)

So this Christian Church is divided on many issues, but there are some main doctrines that all are in agreement on and the gates of hell will not prevail over them. Although Satan has been able to infiltrate with false doctrines in some groups, there are some that are holding fast to those original doctrines.

HalleluYah !!! Praise the Lord! Glory be to God! Holy! Holy! Holy!

Quiz Master

RHP Arms

Moves
08 May 13

“Blessed are you, Simon Bar-Jonah, ...I also say to you that you are
Peter, and on this rock I will build My church,

Holy! Holy! Holy![/b]
Do you really believe Jesus called him "Peter" ???

The Near Genius

Fort Gordon

Moves
08 May 13

Originally posted by wolfgang59
Do you really believe Jesus called him "Peter" ???
Well, that is the English transiteration of the name from the Greek. In fact, Jesus is the English transliteration of the Greek version of His Hebrew name pronounced Yahshua or Joshua, if the "Y" sound is replaced with the "J" sound in English.

The Instructor

Fighting for men’s

right to have babies

Moves
08 May 13

The Instructor
Why do I hear music from an old Edward Woodward TV series suddenly playing.

The Near Genius

Fort Gordon

Moves
08 May 13

Originally posted by divegeester
Why do I hear music from an old Edward Woodward TV series suddenly playing.
Could this be it?

The Instructor

K
Demon Duck

of Doom!

Moves
08 May 13

Could this be it?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=apPyKtvNP2E

The Instructor
I'd have thought the original Wicker Man would have been more appropriate. I can see RJ as Lord Summerisle, sacrificing a virgin (Edward Woodward) to the old gods.

Can't win a game of

38N Lat X 121W Lon

Moves
08 May 13

I'm sure atheist can be broken down into different subgroups just as any group can. All the one's I've seen have a vehement hate toward religion and Christianity. Maybe it's just that outspoken ones as you say. I would think there are atheist and then agnostics a good difference no doubt. Atheism by its very nature is a cosmological view of a world and universe absent of any god or supernatural.

Manny

rc

Moves
08 May 13
3 edits

Originally posted by Phranny
Many atheists and agnostics consider themselves humanists. Asking what humanism teaches is a better question. Although the roots of humanism go back to ancient Greece, it boils down to the Golden Rule and following all of the loving, compassionate concepts embedded in religions but has no god figure or threat of hell fire and damnation.

Wikepedia: Huma us, such as Ulrich von Hutten who was a strong supporter of Martin Luther and the Reformation.
yes its essentially a human vision, this is understood, although i am more interested in what it advocates. Completely random beginning to universe, life from non life, divergence of life through purely materialistic means, sun will eventually implode, earth and solar system shall be consumed in black hole, the end. Now this is incredibly interesting, for clearly, our view on the future has a profound effect on the way we live our life at present.

Cornovii

North of the Tamar

Moves
08 May 13

Originally posted by robbie carrobie
yes its essentially a human vision, this is understood, although i am more interested in what it advocates. Completely random beginning to universe, life from non life, divergence of life through purely materialistic means, sun will eventually implode, earth and solar system shall be consumed in black hole, the end. Now this is incredibly interestin ...[text shortened]... or clearly, our view on the future has a profound effect on the way we live our life at present.
Now this is incredibly interesting, for clearly, our view on the future has a profound effect on the way we live our life at present.

Can you elaborate on this a tad more? How far into the future?

rc

Moves
08 May 13
1 edit

Originally posted by Proper Knob
[b]Now this is incredibly interesting, for clearly, our view on the future has a profound effect on the way we live our life at present.

Can you elaborate on this a tad more? How far into the future?[/b]
well it depends, for example, if i was a nominal Christian and had a genuine fear of burning in some fiery place of torment for all eternity, its going to influence my behavior at present, isn't it. I am going to do all that is in my power to avert that destiny, real or otherwise.