What atheism really teaches

What atheism really teaches

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

P

Moves
02 May 13

Originally posted by RJHinds
I understand you to say that since you believe Jesus never existed, then you are justified in not believing any of His teachings. Okay, then my question to you is this:

If you became convinced that Jesus did exist, would that change your belief about fearing God over man?
I have just seen this tweet from Ricky Jervais. I don't really like the guy but I thought the tweet was apposite:

A Christian telling an Atheist they're going to Hell, is as scary as a child telling an adult they're not getting any presents from Santa.

--- Penguin.

The Near Genius

Fort Gordon

Moves
02 May 13
1 edit

Originally posted by Penguin
I do not believe the Jesus as depicted in the Bible ever existed, although that character may have been based on a real person with no supernatural abilities but lots of charisma, much like Robin Hood as depicted in the legend never existed but may have been based on a real person. If I believed in the bible, God and the whole lake of fire thing, we would no ...[text shortened]... elieve God and the lake of fire exist, could you explain why you think I should be afraid of it?
Jesus was the person that is reported to have said it; and I was passing the warning on to you because I believe. However, if you consider Jesus as a person on the lunatic fringe or whatever and not the Annointed One that He claimed to be, then I have no reason to expect that you would believe anything He said.

s
Fast and Curious

slatington, pa, usa

Moves
02 May 13

Jesus was the person that is reported to have said it; and I was passing the warning on to you because I believe. However, if you consider Jesus as a person on the lunatic fringe or whatever and not the Annointed One that He claimed to be, then I have no reason to expect that you would believe anything He said.
So why don't you leave us the hell alone? We don't need your so-called spiritual advice. We get along just fine and if we are bound for hell so be it.

It sounds a million times better than being a sycophant, one of billions, your god needs to assuage its ego with hosanna's and choir practice 24/7/

Just the fact your supposed god is presented that way proves it is nothing more than another boogie man made up by people intent on creating a political presence to control people and subjugate women.

K
Demon Duck

of Doom!

Moves
02 May 13

But the Holy Spirit has revealed to me that I am the Instructor, not you. 😏

HalleluYah !!! Praise the Lord! Holy! Holy! Holy!
Holy spirit my arse. You've been at the cooking sherry again, haven't you?

The Near Genius

Fort Gordon

Moves
02 May 13

Originally posted by Kepler
Holy spirit my arse. You've been at the cooking sherry again, haven't you?
The Lord is my shepherd; I shall not want.

He maketh me to lie down in green pastures: he leadeth me beside the still waters.

He restoreth my soul: he leadeth me in the paths of righteousness for his name's sake.

Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil: for thou art with me; thy rod and thy staff they comfort me.

Thou preparest a table before me in the presence of mine enemies: thou anointest my head with oil; MY CUP RUNNETH OVER.

Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me all the days of my life: and I will dwell in the house of the Lord for ever.

PSALM 23 - MY CUP RUNNETH OVER

s
Fast and Curious

slatington, pa, usa

Moves
02 May 13

He maketh me to lie down in green pastures: he leadeth me beside the still waters.

He restoreth my soul: he leadeth me in the paths of righteousness for his name's sake.

Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil: for thou art with me; thy rod and thy staff they com ...[text shortened]... Lord for ever.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EG_8vIEGCXk
You have extreme problems actually thinking things out with your OWN mind. You should try it sometime, it might even be refreshing.

P

Moves
02 May 13

So, if you accept that we have no reason to believe any of this stuff, why bother trying to frighten us with posts like this (from page 4 of this thread):

The deluding influence is only for those that will not repent and believe on the only begotten Son of God, like yourself. Prepare yourself for Hellfire!

--- Penguin

The Near Genius

Fort Gordon

Moves
02 May 13

So, if you accept that we have no reason to believe any of this stuff, why bother trying to frighten us with posts like this (from page 4 of this thread):

The deluding influence is only for those that will not repent and believe on the only begotten Son of God, like yourself. [b]Prepare yourself for Hellfire!

--- Penguin[/b]
I said that I have no reason to expect that you would believe anything Jesus said if you don't believe in Him. However, that is different from accepting that you atheists have no reason to believe any of this stuff. For if this stuff is true, then it is going to happen regardless of your unbelief, unless you repent of your sins and believe on the only begotten Son of God for salvation. This is the warning I must instruct you of as the Instructor.
Prepare yourself for Hellfire!

HalleluYah !!! Praise the Lord! Holy! Holy! Holy!

a
Not actually a cat

The Flat Earth

Moves
02 May 13

Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil: for thou art with me; thy rod and thy staff they com ...[text shortened]... Lord for ever.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EG_8vIEGCXk
Don't just say it, live it. You're forever ranting on about the things you want.

P

Moves
03 May 13

I said that I have no reason to expect that you would believe anything Jesus said if you don't believe in Him. However, that is different from accepting that you atheists have no reason to believe any of this stuff. For if this stuff is true, then it is going to happen regardless of your unbelief, unless you repent of your sins and believe on the only bego ...[text shortened]... r.
[b]Prepare yourself for Hellfire!

HalleluYah !!! Praise the Lord! Holy! Holy! Holy![/b]
Fair enough then, so long as you understand that we will not be scared by threats of damnation etc and that this is not through willful ignorance but just due to the fact that we are unconvinced by arguments for the existence of these things. In the same way that you are unconvinced of the existence of Thor and Vishnu and therefore will not be moved by tales and prophesies regarding them.

--- Penguin.

P

Moves
03 May 13

I said that I have no reason to expect that you would believe anything Jesus said if you don't believe in Him. However, that is different from accepting that you atheists have no reason to believe any of this stuff. For if this stuff is true, then it is going to happen regardless of your unbelief, unless you repent of your sins and believe on the only bego ...[text shortened]... r.
[b]Prepare yourself for Hellfire!

HalleluYah !!! Praise the Lord! Holy! Holy! Holy![/b]
Back to the original question of the OP and my post explaining humanist values (due to the fact that atheism has no specific values per se), Do you have a particular argument or viewpoint on any of those humanist values that you would like to discuss?

--- Penguin.

The Near Genius

Fort Gordon

Moves
03 May 13

Back to the original question of the OP and my post explaining humanist values (due to the fact that atheism has no specific values per se), Do you have a particular argument or viewpoint on any of those humanist values that you would like to discuss?

--- Penguin.
What about the question at the end of my repeated post below on explaining humanism?

Humanism is EVIL!

An insane form of thinking that invades the human mind convincing it of it's superiority over God and His Word.

Humanism is a direct enemy of Christianity. Humanism and the Church of Satan believes that you can do anything you want, just as long as no one else gets hurt. However, that is NOT what the Bible teaches. We are commanded in the Bible to OBEY GOD rather than men (Acts 5:29).

Humanism is horribly evil because it DENIES God. Humanism is evil because it seeks answers WITHOUT God. Humanism is evil because it does NOT recognize the Bible as God's Word. Humanism is wicked because it promotes the acceptance of homosexuality, witchcraft, abortion, assisted suicide, and every other evil act (as long as they think no one is being hurt).

http://www.jesus-is-savior.com/False%20Religions/Humanism/humanism_is_evil.htm

Hunanism seems like the religion of the Atheist, dosen't it?

s
Fast and Curious

slatington, pa, usa

Moves
03 May 13

[b]What about the question at the end of my repeated post below on explaining humanism?

Humanism is EVIL!

An insane form of thinking that invades the human mind convincing it of it's superiority over God and His Word.

Humanism is a direct enemy of Christianity. Humanism and the Church of Satan believes that you can do anything you want, ju ...[text shortened]... humanism_is_evil.htm

[b]Hunanism seems like the religion of the Atheist, dosen't it?
[/b]
What exactly is Hunanism? Is that a Chinese religion?

The Near Genius

Fort Gordon

Moves
03 May 13

Originally posted by sonhouse
What exactly is Hunanism? Is that a Chinese religion?
Penguin posted the following to explain the Humanist religion of the atheist. If the shoe fits, wear it.

Just to drag this thread kicking and screaming back towards the original topic, although atheism does not have any specific message (since it simply a lack of belief in one-more religion than all the theists), I think what you are after is humanism, which has these kinds of viewpoints:

VALUES
Humanists believe that morality is based on human nature, human society and human experience; it has not come from a god.

Humanists believe that moral values stem from the human need for happiness and the fact that we must live co-operatively together.

There is no evidence for life after death, and so humanists place a special value on this life and on making the best of it. They do not expect justice in another life, and so work for justice in this one.

Humanists try to follow the Golden Rule: treat other people as you would like them to treat you, avoid harming others.

Humanists value all human beings, celebrating both our common humanity and shared values, and the diversity of human culture. Prejudices based on race, gender, nation or belief should not be allowed to separate us.

Humanists believe that humans alone are responsible for sustaining and improving our quality of life on this planet.

BELIEFS
Humanism is based on reason, not faith:

The humanist view of the universe does not depend on a belief in god or Gods. Humanists are agnostic (a- gnostic = without knowledge) because they think that we cannot know whether God exists or not. Because there is no evidence for the existence of God or for an after-life, humanists live their lives as atheists (a-theist = without god), and find other reasons for living good lives.

Humanists do not have sacred texts, traditions, dogma, prophets, or any source of authority other than human experience. Humanists look for evidence before they believe things and like to think for themselves.

Humanists believe that knowledge best advances through openness and co-operation, through experiment and observation, and through free enquiry and discussion.

Humanists accept that science provides the best available explanations for the existence of the universe and life on earth. Humanists do not believe that the universe or earth were created

From http://www.humanismforschools.org.uk/pdfs/HUMANISM%20-%20a%20summary%20for%20teachers.pdf

--- Penguin

The Near Genius

Fort Gordon

Moves
03 May 13
2 edits

--- Penguin.
How about this stated value of the humanist?

"They do not expect justice in another life, and so work for justice in this one."

How do humanist expect to get justice in this life? Haven't they determined that working for justice in this life is futile by now?