What atheism really teaches

What atheism really teaches

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

rc

Moves
22 Apr 13
1 edit

Recently we had a summation of the Bibles message, you know, the earth will become a paradise, people will live in harmony forever etc etc i wonder of our atheist friends can provide a similar summation of their message,

Cape Town

Moves
22 Apr 13

Originally posted by robbie carrobie
Recently we had a summation of the Bibles message, you know, the earth will become a paradise, people will live in harmony forever etc etc i wonder of our atheist friends can provide a similar summation of their message,
Atheism isn't a religion, and therefore cannot have 'teachings'.
As for what I, as an individual atheist teach, the main message is 'the Truth will set you free'. And the truth is that there is no God, and there will be no paradise after you die, and science is the best way to understand the world, and we should all strive to educate ourselves and understand at least the basics in all branches of science.
I also think we should all think about our own futures and those of our childrens and try to improve governments, and try to improve our long term planning because that is the biggest failing of modern democracy, the system encourages short term planning at the expense of long term planning.

O

Moves
22 Apr 13

Limitless possibilities good and bad.

j

Dublin Ireland

Moves
22 Apr 13

Originally posted by twhitehead
As for what I, as an individual atheist teach, the main message is 'the Truth will set you free'. And the truth is that there is no God, and there will be no paradise after you die, and science is the best way to understand the world, and we should all strive to educate ourselves and unders ...[text shortened]... democracy, the system encourages short term planning at the expense of long term planning.
I would subscribe to that analysis.

rc

Moves
22 Apr 13
2 edits

Originally posted by twhitehead
As for what I, as an individual atheist teach, the main message is 'the Truth will set you free'. And the truth is that there is no God, and there will be no paradise after you die, and science is the best way to understand the world, and we should all strive to educate ourselves and unders ...[text shortened]... democracy, the system encourages short term planning at the expense of long term planning.
you need to be a religion to have teachings, wow.

j

Dublin Ireland

Moves
22 Apr 13

you need to be a religion to have teachings, wow.
If one analyzes facts and then comes up with valid conclusions,
then you have arrived at solutions or answers.

It doesn't always involve teachings.

Sometimes teachings can suggest dogma.

There is nothing dogmatic about analyzing a situation
and with the proper information coming up with facts
and solutions.

Lawyers do it all the time.

So do scientists and medical experts.

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
22 Apr 13

Summation - Whatever any thiests or anyone says as a suggestion for the existence of God, I'll think of a problem or contrary statement about it - ad infinitum.

rc

Moves
22 Apr 13

Originally posted by johnnylongwoody
If one analyzes facts and then comes up with valid conclusions,
then you have arrived at solutions or answers.

It doesn't always involve teachings.

Sometimes teachings can suggest dogma.

There is nothing dogmatic about analyzing a situation
and with the proper information coming up with facts
and solutions.

Lawyers do it all the time.

So do scientists and medical experts.
here is the statement again,

which presupposes that in order to have a teaching one must of necessity be a religion, which is rather strange, for as far as i am aware, many disciplines have teachings and are not in the least remotely religious.

rc

Moves
22 Apr 13
1 edit

Originally posted by sonship
Summation - Whatever any thiests or anyone says as a suggestion for the existence of God, I'll think of a problem or contrary statement about it - ad infinitum.
I see, kind of like, wow look at those snowmen, wow, they must have evolved from the snow kind of thing.

Moves
22 Apr 13

My message is as follows:

rc

Moves
22 Apr 13
3 edits

Originally posted by JS357
My message is as follows:
invisible ink? what do i gotta do hold it up to ultra violate light? 😛

so you are a minimalist or a conceptual artist and wish us to use the blank space as a vehicle for our own imaginations, or a Buddhist and its both blank and not blank, there being no I or a Calvinist and we dont see the blank space at all but the black sinfulness of the surrounding text! or a Karoly Poly and its not a blank space but technology left by visitors from Rigel or a sonhouse and its written in Dolphin and we are too stupid to decipher it!

S
Caninus Interruptus

Moves
22 Apr 13

There are no gods.

~~THE END~~

rc

Moves
22 Apr 13
1 edit

Originally posted by SwissGambit
There are no gods.

~~THE END~~
hmm, that sounds suspiciously to me like unobserved phenomena!

K
Demon Duck

of Doom!

Moves
22 Apr 13

Originally posted by SwissGambit
There are no gods.

~~THE END~~
There is at least one god. Prince Phillip is worshiped as a god and therefore is a de facto god. I don't recall him creating any universes or smiting any non-believers though.

Cornovii

North of the Tamar

Moves
22 Apr 13

The summary of my atheism - I don't believe in God(s).