What atheism really teaches

What atheism really teaches

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

rc

Moves
23 Apr 13

Originally posted by Proper Knob
The summary of my atheism - I don't believe in God(s).
Interesting distinction, here you include the term belief, where others have emphatically stated that there are no Gods. Is this a subtle difference or simply an indication of a level of conviction?

Cornovii

North of the Tamar

Moves
23 Apr 13

Originally posted by robbie carrobie
Interesting distinction, here you include the term belief, where others have emphatically stated that there are no Gods. Is this a subtle difference or simply an indication of a level of conviction?
That's what atheism means, the absence of belief that any dieties exist. But there are of course numerous different distinctions within atheism, positive vs negative, implicit vs explicit.

rc

Moves
23 Apr 13

Originally posted by Proper Knob
That's what atheism means, the absence of belief that any dieties exist. But there are of course numerous different distinctions within atheism, positive vs negative, implicit vs explicit.
ok i see, i was truly unaware.

Moves
23 Apr 13
1 edit

Recently we had a summation of the Bibles message, you know, the earth will become a paradise, people will live in harmony forever etc etc i wonder of our atheist friends can provide a similar summation of their message,
reading horoscopes gives a nice little summary of whats going to happen over the next week - atheism cannot do that.

tom cruise could give a nice little summary of whats going to go down in his crazy alien based cult - atheism cannot do that.

the fortune cookie can give me a little summary of future events - atheism doesnt do that

a crystal ball can also give a little summary of future events - atheism doesnt do that

my child has a fairy tale that ends with the summary 'they all lived happily ever after' - atheism cannot offer anything similar

do you see where im going with this?

The Near Genius

Fort Gordon

Moves
23 Apr 13

Originally posted by stellspalfie
reading horoscopes gives a nice little summary of whats going to happen over the next week - atheism cannot do that.

tom cruise could give a nice little summary of whats going to go down in his crazy alien based cult - atheism cannot do that.

the fortune cookie can give me a little summary of future events - atheism doesnt do that

a crystal bal ...[text shortened]... ver after' - atheism cannot offer anything similar

do you see where im going with this?
Yeah, atheism sucks!

Moves
23 Apr 13

Originally posted by RJHinds
Yeah, atheism sucks!
how old are you r.j?

The Near Genius

Fort Gordon

Moves
23 Apr 13

Originally posted by stellspalfie
how old are you r.j?
69. How old are you?

Moves
23 Apr 13

69. How old are you?
you seem older. what did you do in the 60's?

im 36.

K
Demon Duck

of Doom!

Moves
23 Apr 13

69. How old are you?
So almost 70 going on 7?

Cape Town

Moves
23 Apr 13

You are not making any sense, you say you have no teachings because you are not a religion....
No, I did not. I said atheism has no teachings because it is not a religion. I am not atheism. I do hve teachings.

and then profess to state that there are no Gods, is this not a teaching, cannot it not be explained on a rational basis and expounded to others?
Yes. But it is not a teaching of atheism. It is my personal teaching.

Or is it merely on the basis that its a personal philosophy that it qualifies as a non teaching, which I doubt because others have expressed suspiciously similar sentiments.
I never said it was a non-teaching, and whether others have expressed the same teaching is quite irrelevant.

rc

Moves
23 Apr 13

Originally posted by twhitehead
No, I did not. I said atheism has no teachings because it is not a religion. I am not atheism. I do hve teachings.

[b]and then profess to state that there are no Gods, is this not a teaching, cannot it not be explained on a rational basis and expounded to others?

Yes. But it is not a teaching of atheism. It is my personal teaching.

Or is it ...[text shortened]... it was a non-teaching, and whether others have expressed the same teaching is quite irrelevant.
I see, its merely a coincidence that others have expressed similar views while also professing to be atheist.

P

Moves
23 Apr 13

Recently we had a summation of the Bibles message, you know, the earth will become a paradise, people will live in harmony forever etc etc i wonder of our atheist friends can provide a similar summation of their message,
It is not really a religion, it is a conclusion reached after noting the lack of any evidence for the existence of any God's. It only has a name because of the reaction it provokes in many religious people. Most people are also without belief in fairies, unicorns and the Cosmic Teapot. If enough people believed in those things then there would be a name for lack of belief in them as well.

A philosophy that many (but not all) atheist follow is that of Humanism, which does have teachings and is easy to research online. Maybe that is what you are after.

--- Penguin

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
23 Apr 13
9 edits

Originally posted by Penguin
It is not really a religion, it is a conclusion reached after noting the lack of any evidence for the existence of any God's. It only has a name because of the reaction it provokes in many religious people. Most people are also without belief in fairies, unicorns and the Cosmic Teapot. If enough people believed in those things then there would be a name for ...[text shortened]... have teachings and is easy to research online. Maybe that is what you are after.

--- Penguin
Penguin, most of the people I hear harp on "lack of any evidence for God" are simply posturing. When it comes down to it it is an incessant unwillingness to accept plausible evidence.

It is one thing to say "This evidence does not prove God's existence".
It is another to continually counter - "That does not even qualify as evidence."

When you claim there is this lack of evidence for God you mean you intend to make sure that door of consideration to God remains totally closed.

Anthony Flew, finally decided that he could no longer keep this door shut. While I know he took a deist position, I think he came to an honest conclusion with presented evidence.

Some atheists seem to have dismissed this turncoat as too old and fuddy duddy to know better anymore.

How about, like C.S. Lewis, another former atheist, he just came to a point in life when he realized the evidence, if not proof, was there for a God afterall ?

Moves
23 Apr 13

Originally posted by sonship
Penguin, most of the people I hear harp on "lack of any evidence for God" are simply posturing. When it comes down to it it is an incessant unwillingness to accept plausible evidence.

It is one thing to say "This evidence does not [b]prove
God's existence".
It is another to continually counter - "That does not even qualify as evidence."

When ...[text shortened]... oint in life when he realized the evidence, if not proof, was there for a God afterall ?[/b]
come on then, lets hear about this plausible evidence.

Cape Town

Moves
23 Apr 13

I see, its merely a coincidence that others have expressed similar views while also professing to be atheist.
I believe both of us teach that fairies do not exist. We are both afairests. It is no coincidence that both of us teach that fairies do not exist. But is afairism a religion, and do you consider yourself a member?