What atheism really teaches

What atheism really teaches

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Moves
08 May 13

Originally posted by robbie carrobie
penguin managed to find them, why cant you.
ahh, i didnt think you meant those as i had already responded to why i didnt believe they were influences, but i think penguin has worded it much better than me.

rc

Moves
08 May 13
1 edit

Originally posted by stellspalfie
ahh, i didnt think you meant those as i had already responded to why i didnt believe they were influences, but i think penguin has worded it much better than me.
another get out of jail free card, when will you fess up and admit that your atheism has caused you to adopt a certain stance or has caused like-minded individuals to take some action. For example Stalin tearing down churches or the Khmer Rouge killing Buddhist monks, all causations of an atheistic stance.

Moves
08 May 13

another get out of jail free card, when will you fess up and admit that your atheism has caused you to adopt a certain stance or has caused like-minded individuals to take some action. For example Stalin tearing down churches or the Khmer Rouge killing Buddhist monks, all causations of an atheistic stance.
actually i was just thinking about that girl in america who took her school to court to have some religious symbolism taken down. i think she argued she was offended. i guess an argument could be made that she was influence by her atheism, but nothing about atheism says she should have taken those actions or thought what she thought. so im still not convinced she was influenced by atheism, rather she was influenced by her attitude toward religious symbolism, which is very different. you can be an atheist and love religious symbolism.

Moves
08 May 13
1 edit

blimey robbie, you are like a gold-fish. stalin was beaten as a child by his father who was a priest. the other guys may have other reasons for their actions atheism does not make you turn into a violent person........its things like abuse and mental issues that do.

which is more likely going to make him tear down churches? bearing in mind that nothing in atheism says or implies churches should be torn down?

Cornovii

North of the Tamar

Moves
08 May 13

For example Stalin tearing down churches or the Khmer Rouge killing Buddhist monks, all causations of an atheistic stance.

Give over, you can't prove these actions were a result of these peoples atheism. As i pointed out in another thread why aren't these actions a result of communism? Stalin and Pol Pot were both communists.

rc

Moves
08 May 13

Originally posted by Proper Knob
[b]For example Stalin tearing down churches or the Khmer Rouge killing Buddhist monks, all causations of an atheistic stance.

Give over, you can't prove these actions were a result of these peoples atheism. As i pointed out in another thread why aren't these actions a result of communism? Stalin and Pol Pot were both communists.[/b]
are the doctrines of communism anti religious, both acts were perpetrated against religions organisations, what has led you to believe that communism was the motivating factor and not atheism?

rc

Moves
08 May 13

blimey robbie, you are like a gold-fish. stalin was beaten as a child by his father who was a priest. the other guys may have other reasons for their actions atheism does not make you turn into a violent person........its things like abuse and mental issues that do.

which is more likely going to make him tear down churches? bearing in mind that nothing in atheism says or implies churches should be torn down?
i dont buy this pseudo psychological jive talk.

P

Moves
08 May 13

hmmm, a get out of jail free card me thinks.
I don't think so. I may be being a little pedantic but I think you may be thinking of something more like an anti-theist: someone who is actually against religion rather than an a-theist: someone who is simply without religion.

Many atheists would also be anti-theist and that may influence some of their behaviour. But the term atheist just means you don't have a religion, it does not say anything about what you do have.

As has been asked several times so far, in what way does your lack of belief in the Hindu religion affect your actions? Or your lack of interest in deep-sea kayaking?

Penguin.

The Near Genius

Fort Gordon

Moves
08 May 13
1 edit

Atheism says there is no God. That implies there is no need for churches to worship something that does not exit. If there is no need for them, then obviously, they should be torn down and replaced with something useful.

The Instructor

rc

Moves
08 May 13

Originally posted by Penguin
I don't think so. I may be being a little pedantic but I think you may be thinking of something more like an anti-theist: someone who is actually against religion rather than an a-theist: someone who is simply without religion.

Many atheists would also be anti-theist and that may influence some of their behaviour. But the term ...[text shortened]... Hindu religion affect your actions? Or your lack of interest in deep-sea kayaking?

Penguin.
but is this simply not a refection of different degrees of atheism, in the same way that you have nominal Christians and devout Christians?

P

Moves
08 May 13

yes its essentially a human vision, this is understood, although i am more interested in what it advocates. Completely random beginning to universe, life from non life, divergence of life through purely materialistic means, sun will eventually implode, earth and solar system shall be consumed in black hole, the end. Now this is incredibly interestin ...[text shortened]... or clearly, our view on the future has a profound effect on the way we live our life at present.
Again, the Christian view, it seems to me, is that people are born sinful and that without a belief in the Jesus/God story and the threat of eternal hellfire and damnation, an individual will choose to do evil things to others. There is absolutly no evidence that this is so. In fact, I think the good works done by those who do NOT do them out of fear but out of love are more intrinsically valuable.

Moves
08 May 13

Originally posted by RJHinds
Atheism says there is no God. That implies there is no need for churches to worship something that does not exit. If there is no need for them, then obviously, they should be torn down and replaced with something useful.

The Instructor
you dont believe in allah, if you had the power would you start pulling down mosques?

rc

Moves
08 May 13
1 edit

Originally posted by Phranny
Again, the Christian view, it seems to me, is that people are born sinful and that without a belief in the Jesus/God story and the threat of eternal hellfire and damnation, an individual will choose to do evil things to others. There is absolutly no evidence that this is so. In fact, I think the good works done by those who do NOT do them out of fear but out of love are more intrinsically valuable.
The Bible itself states that if you do things which are not motivated by love , they are essentially futile. Have you never read I Corinthians chapter 13, I will reproduce it here for your convenience.

(1 Corinthians 13:1-3) If I speak in the tongues of men and of angels but do not have love, I have become a sounding [piece of] brass or a clashing cymbal. And if I have the gift of prophesying and am acquainted with all the sacred secrets and all knowledge, and if I have all the faith so as to transplant mountains, but do not have love, I am nothing. And if I give all my belongings to feed others, and if I hand over my body, that I may boast, but do not have love, I am not profited at all.

One must of course make a distinction from what Christians practice and what the Bible actually advocates, the two are not synonymous.

P

Moves
08 May 13

but is this simply not a refection of different degrees of atheism, in the same way that you have nominal Christians and devout Christians?
No, not really. Religions give specific rules and rituals and beliefs that must be adhered to. which ones people adhere to and how devoutly sort of defines how nominal/fundamental they are. Atheism gives no such rules, traditions or beliefs. It is just a lack of belief in one more god than everybody else.

I will ask again, in what way does your lack of belief in the Hindu religion, or your lack of interest in deep-sea kayaking, affect your actions?

--- Penguin.

Quiz Master

RHP Arms

Moves
08 May 13

Originally posted by RJHinds

The Instructor
A good idea RJ.

Though in the UK we don't pull down the churches - they are turned into
trendy flats.