1. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    10 Dec '18 00:49
    @sonship said
    That is unless you are playing the part of a final arbitrator.
    Morality is a personal guide that helps us manage our interactions with others. There is no "final arbitrator" in any supernatural sense, at least not that I am aware of. Court systems provide arbitration when necessary and when moral disagreements overlap with legal obligations and prohibitions.
  2. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    10 Dec '18 00:52
    @sonship said
    Then if everyone's "moral compass" is just an opinion with no more or less validity then anyone else's then your's concerning my compass is inflicted with the same untrustworthy limitation.
    Our moral compasses are there to help us navigate our way through all this limitation and untrustworthy stuff.
  3. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    10 Dec '18 00:55
    @sonship said
    You're arguing that man is the measure of all things and FMF is the man.
    I am not arguing that anyone should measure themselves against me.
  4. S. Korea
    Moves
    10 Dec '18 01:02
    @fmf said
    Our moral compasses are there to help us navigate our way through all this limitation and untrustworthy stuff.
    Navigation to what end?

The fulfillment of our personal desires?
  5. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    10 Dec '18 01:05
    @philokalia said
    Navigation to what end?

The fulfillment of our personal desires?
    Understanding and coping with human interactions as we live our lives.
  6. Joined
    01 Oct '04
    Moves
    10 Dec '18 02:40
    @divegeester said
    Yes pretty much, that’s it.
    So how do you differentiate between good and evil then?
  7. S. Korea
    Moves
    10 Dec '18 03:56
    @fmf said
    Understanding and coping with human interactions as we live our lives.
    I am curious, though... What is the point of human interaction and human life?

That affects us greatly in how we navigate it.

The moral foundation of things is vitally important -- and whatever conclusion we have about the ends of human interactions and life will have a great impact on what we believe the moral foundation to be.
  8. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    10 Dec '18 04:01
    @philokalia said
    I am curious, though... What is the point of human interaction and human life?
    That's for you to decide for yourself.
  9. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    10 Dec '18 04:05
    @philokalia said
    I am curious, though... What is the point of human interaction and human life? That affects us greatly in how we navigate it.
    This is why it's all in the realm of subjectivity: the perceived point of life, how to live our lives, how we interact, how we are affected by things ~ it's all completely personal, subjective and varies from person to person.
  10. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    10 Dec '18 04:08
    @philokalia said
    The moral foundation of things is vitally important -- and whatever conclusion we have about the ends of human interactions and life will have a great impact on what we believe the moral foundation to be.
    Then you should decide what you see are "the ends of human interactions" and then establish for yourself what you believe is the vitally important "moral foundation of things". We all do it to varying degrees and in our different ways. Indeed, it is an essential part of who each of us is - our personhood, our character, our individuality.
  11. S. Korea
    Moves
    10 Dec '18 08:24
    So everyone has their own end. Everyone has their own meaning.

So... that's it?

Is anyone right or wrong..?
  12. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    10 Dec '18 09:371 edit
    @philokalia said
    So everyone has their own end. Everyone has their own meaning.

So... that's it?
    I am not going to provide you with a meaning for your life; you have to find your own. And that works vice versa too.
  13. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    10 Dec '18 09:443 edits
    @philokalia said
    Is anyone right or wrong..?
    Well, I think so. This is information that deliberation using a moral compass gives us. But there's no guarantee that everyone is going to agree with with a decision one makes or a stance taken.

If such decisions and stances result in lost friends, or in being excluded from a group or drawn towards another, or if they result in one being incarcerated - or even executed - by the society in which one lives, then that is part of the responsibility that one must take for one's actions.
  14. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    10 Dec '18 10:42
    @sonship said
    But while you talk about superstition we have Someone in history who epitomizes the highest standard of human morality.
    I think what you mean this is that 'epitomizing the highest standard of human morality' is how Jesus has been portrayed by the people who carefully constructed a cult of personality around him in the decades and centuries after he was executed by the Romans for sedition.
  15. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    10 Dec '18 12:40
    @divegeester said
    Morality is mentioned possible once in the bible and only in certain translations. Morality is a human construct; the Bible talks about the “law” righteousness and sin.

You mention the “law”, you call it the “moral law” bit in fact it is not refereed to as that in the bible. The law was given as a written guide to be adhered to without question and disobedience was m ...[text shortened]... t God’s “morality” changes then you probalby need to think again.

As for your last comment. LOL.
    polite nudge for SecondSon

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree