Striking Teachers

Striking Teachers

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

E

Moves
20 May 18

Originally posted by @romans1009
As far as I know, public school teacher salaries mostly come from property taxes in the area where they work. If they teach in an area where people don’t have a lot of money, it stands to reason the salaries won’t be as high as public school teachers who work in wealthier areas. Not saying that’s right, but that seems to be the way it is.

The reason I ...[text shortened]... ideally should not exceed 30 percent of their gross income, though that rarely works in reality.
Different rules for different states. Just goes to show how little you know about teacher pay in all states.

But you go on as if you do know.

E

Moves
20 May 18

Originally posted by @tom-wolsey
If I lived in Oklahoma and salary and lifestyle were important to me, I would not have pursued a career in teaching unless either teaching was a strong passion, or I was prepared to relocate to another state.
So here we have the..we shouldn't have teachers who care about actually supporting their families. Typical point of view. If you teach you should not care about your own family. If you care about supporting your family then don't teach.

You end up with quite the pool of teachers that way. You get who you can who will actually work for that pay and a few fools who are idealistic working for change. Well in Oklahoma they are now finding it very difficult to find teachers. The kids suffer.

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
20 May 18

Originally posted by @eladar
Different rules for different states. Just goes to show how little you know about teacher pay in all states.

But you go on as if you do know.
Where does the money for teacher salaries come from in Oklahoma?

What’s your view of the New York Times’ article regarding average pay for teachers in Oklahoma vs. other professions and cost of living in Oklahoma? Is the article accurate?

E

Moves
20 May 18

Where does the money for teacher salaries come from in Oklahoma?

What’s your view of the New York Times’ article regarding average pay for teachers in Oklahoma vs. other professions and cost of living in Oklahoma? Is the article accurate?
State taxes pay for teacher salaries.

If they claim starting teachers take home more than 20k then they are liars.

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
20 May 18

State taxes pay for teacher salaries.

If they claim starting teachers take home more than 20k then they are liars.
Forget “take home” pay. No discussion of salaries is based on that. It’s based on gross pay. And the figure is right in the excerpted article.

E

Moves
20 May 18

Forget “take home” pay. No discussion of salaries is based on that. It’s based on gross pay. And the figure is right in the excerpted article.
Just d a google search average bachelors degree salary oklahoma is about 54k.

Since this includes teachers who average pay is 41k you can see teaching in Oklahoma pays significantly less than average for the state.

Actually take home pay is what we are discussing. It is how the state here really screws teachers.

E

Moves
20 May 18
1 edit

From the New York Times:

“Teachers in Oklahoma earn $45,000 a year on average, the third-lowest in the country; only those in Mississippi and South Dakota earn less, according to the National Center for Education Statistics. They are doing better, though, than many workers in Oklahoma, which has the third-lowest cost of living and where the average te ...[text shortened]... ian household income.”

https://mobile.nytimes.com/2018/03/20/us/oklahoma-teachers-strike.html
The fallacy of this article has been exposed. Compare apples to apples. Jobs that require bachelors to jobs that require bachelors.

I have never seen 47k mentioned as average teacher pay. This is from cnbc

According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, teachers in West Virginia are the fifth lowest paid in the country, earning an average of $45,240 — but Oklahoma actually holds the title for the lowest paid teachers in the country. In Oklahoma, the average annual income for a high school teacher is $42,460.

The 42 460 is much more accurate and includes 6k from health insurance fringe benefit.

Misfit Queen

Isle of Misfit Toys

Moves
20 May 18

Average teacher salary is about 60k. My sister-in-law teaches college English and clears 80k plus health insurance and a pension. Not bad.
Seems rather spartan for a college instructor. These people shape minds.

I'd guess most K-12 teachers would love that kind of pay. It would be more commensurate with their importance in our society. It's shameful that red states don't see it that way.

Aficionado of Prawns

Texas

Moves
20 May 18

So here we have the..we shouldn't have teachers who care about actually supporting their families. Typical point of view.
No actually what seems typical, especially of today's entitlement culture--is someone willfully choosing a career path less lucrative than most others, then complaining about it later and demanding economic justice.

F

Moves
21 May 18

No actually what seems typical, especially of today's entitlement culture--is someone willfully choosing a career path less lucrative than most others, then complaining about it later and demanding economic justice.
I'd say campaigning for more economic justice in the Education sector is not only a necessary thing to do but also a virtuous one if conducted by people who have already demonstrated their commitment to the calling by enduring low pay and poor conditions.

Aficionado of Prawns

Texas

Moves
21 May 18

I'm all for qualified teachers making more money. Again, average teacher salary is almost 60k. I'm only saying that choosing a low paying job then not being happy with the pay and not being wiling to relocate reflects more on the individual's career choice. Other teachers took the job because of a passion for the kids, not as means to achieve personal wealth.

F

Moves
21 May 18

I'm all for qualified teachers making more money. Again, average teacher salary is almost 60k. I'm only saying that choosing a low paying job then not being happy with the pay and not being wiling to relocate reflects more on the individual's career choice. Other teachers took the job because of a passion for the kids, not as means to achieve personal wealth.
Isn't this just a repeat of your previous sneer at teachers without responding to what I said?

Does it seem typical to you of the so-called "entitlement culture" that someone would willfully choose a career path that is already way more lucrative than most others, like folks on Wall Street and in boardrooms, and then press for more and more money, more stock options, more bonuses?

F

Moves
21 May 18

I'm all for qualified teachers making more money.
Are you "all for"teachers campaigning for - and taking industrial action if deemed necessary - for better pay and conditions in order that, one day, it is no longer a "low paying" profession?

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
21 May 18

Originally posted by @fmf
Are you "all for"teachers campaigning for - and taking industrial action if deemed necessary - for better pay and conditions in order that, one day, it is no longer a "low paying" profession?
Is “taking industrial action” the same as “striking?”

If so, why the retreat into ambiguous catch phrases? Is that calling it like you see it?

Aficionado of Prawns

Texas

Moves
21 May 18

Originally posted by @fmf
Yes I am. I know many teachers are underpaid and deserve more. I also know many teachers are overpaid and have no business receiving automatic salary increases and tenure if they ride it out long enough. The problem is epidemic and systemic. The teachers union doesn't want any part of result-driven pay and the department of education is a big, bloated bureaucracy that doesn't fix problems.

I think society would be a lot better off if the entire thing was done away with and parents were given a stipend for home schooling. No more mass school shootings, no more captive audience students brainwashed with liberal indoctrination.