Striking Teachers

Striking Teachers

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Misfit Queen

Isle of Misfit Toys

Moves
12 May 18

Originally posted by @caissad4
Would you think differently if a separate school district were created in a very poor area while there was an adjacent and established school district which didn't want to absorb this area because the people were very poor and had very little commercial tax revenue available ? One such as this was created in San Antonio around 70 years ago and is still amo ...[text shortened]... st school districts in the US. Google " Edgewood ISD, San Antonio, Texas" and read all about it.
Well, this is from a schools board that thinks it's just fine to teach creationism in schools.

E

Moves
12 May 18
1 edit

Originally posted by @secondson
Better pay and conditions for teachers?

What about for students? Seems education for students has morphed into an institution of indoctrination, and a cash cow for unqualified educators.
Schools are no different than anything else that produces a product. With the way social promotion is implemented in the US as well as main streaming special ed kids it is impossible to produce a quality product.

Teachers should bring home enough money so that their kids do not qualify for government assistance programs. Teachers should get at least as much pay as police officers and firemen. Teachers should also get benefits equal to police and firemen.

But since teaching is dominated by women it is considered a woman's field it gets second class treatment accordingly.

E

Moves
12 May 18
1 edit

Originally posted by @romans1009
Where are teachers in America on food stamps? Do you have a news article or stats to back that up?
In Oklahoma there are teachers who have their kids on sooner care. I could have had my kids and wife on women and children food stamps. I is called wic.

My taxable income was 17k. In oklahoma if you want to cover your wife and kids healthcare you get 12k deducted from your pay check.

If I worked as a highway patrol I would have been making 40k and full coverage for family covered by benefits.

E

Moves
12 May 18

My family has had to do without because I wasted my college degree on teaching upper level math including ap calculus and stats to high school kids.

E

Moves
12 May 18
1 edit

I assume is the same in other states as well. In oklahoma it can be difficult to find text books. I search the web to find appropriate worksheets for my students to practice their math.

Not every teacher is smart enough for such evaluations. Sucks to have your kid in that classroom. But state governments get what they pay for. Some teachers are unqualified to be in the classroom but rooms need bodies at prices states governments will pay teachers.

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
12 May 18

Originally posted by @eladar
Schools are no different than anything else that produces a product. With the way social promotion is implemented in the US as well as main streaming special ed kids it is impossible to produce a quality product.

Teachers should bring home enough money so that their kids do not qualify for government assistance programs. Teachers should get at least as mu ...[text shortened]... dominated by women it is considered a woman's field it gets second class treatment accordingly.
<<Teachers should get at least as much pay as police officers and firemen. Teachers should also get benefits equal to police and firemen.>>

Totally disagree with this. Teachers are not called upon to put their lives in jeopardy every day - or any day, for that matter.

E

Moves
12 May 18
1 edit

<<Teachers should get at least as much pay as police officers and firemen. Teachers should also get benefits equal to police and firemen.>>

Totally disagree with this. Teachers are not called upon to put their lives in jeopardy every day - or any day, for that matter.
Teachers get shot and are not armed.

What qualification do you need to be a police officer? Oh yeah high school diploma. What qualification to be a teacher? 4 year college degree.

You can disagree all you like but that just goes to show how little you value education.

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
12 May 18

Teachers get shot and are not armed.

What qualification do you need to be a police officer? Oh yeah high school diploma. What qualification to be a teacher? 4 year college degree.

You can disagree all you like but that just goes to show how little you value education.
My point had nothing to do with qualifications; it had to do with the hazards associated with each profession.

If you think teachers face anywhere near the same hazards and risks as police officers, I suspect you either don’t understand or appreciate the job of a police officer or don’t value law enforcement.

Of course, the truth is everyone values law enforcement but some don’t realize it until a burglar is in their house.

E

Moves
12 May 18

My point had nothing to do with qualifications; it had to do with the hazards associated with each profession.

If you think teachers face anywhere near the same hazards and risks as police officers, I suspect you either don’t understand or appreciate the job of a police officer or don’t value law enforcement.

Of course, the truth is everyone values law enforcement but some don’t realize it until a burglar is in their house.
Tell me..what hazards to judges face? What hazards do University professors face? What hazards do governors face? What hazards do professional athletes face?

What percent of police officers get killed each year?

E

Moves
12 May 18

I love the way you claim teachers getting equal pay as police officers means you do not value police.

You've made my point.

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
12 May 18

SOriginally posted by @eladar
Tell me..what hazards to judges face? What hazards do University professors face? What hazards do governors face? What hazards do professional athletes face?

What percent of police officers get killed each year?
Are judges asked to risk their lives every day? To run toward danger instead of away from it?

Are university professors asked to risk their lives every day? To run toward danger instead of away from it?

Are governors asked to risk their lives every day? To run toward danger instead of away from it?

Are professional athletes asked to risk their lives every day? To run toward danger instead of away from it?

Your previous comment said teachers should make the same salary as police officers. I said why they shouldn’t. Your listing of other professions doesn’t negate my point.

I’ve never said teachers in poor communities shouldn’t make more money. But to say they deserve the same pay as police officers and firefighters is absurd.

E

Moves
12 May 18

Are judges asked to risk their lives every day? To run toward danger instead of away from it?

Are university professors asked to risk their lives every day? To run toward danger instead of away from it?

Are governors asked to risk their lives every day? To run toward danger instead of away from it?

Are professional athletes asked to risk their l ...[text shortened]... more money. But to say they deserve the same pay as police officers and firefighters is absurd.
The positions I listed make more money than police officers.

Do you think police officers should get paid more than the jobs I listed?

If a shooter enters a school do you believe teachers are charged with protecting the children?

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
12 May 18

The positions I listed make more money than police officers.

Do you think police officers should get paid more than the jobs I listed?

If a shooter enters a school do you believe teachers are charged with protecting the children?
In an ideal world, police officers and firefighters would get more money than those in the jobs you listed. What’s more important than public safety? How many jobs require people to be willing to risk their lives every day?

But as I said on page one of this thread:

“It’s a great misnomer to think salaries are determined (or should be determined) by how important the job is. Instead salaries are determined by how many other people can do the job.

That’s why a professional baseball player will always make more money than a teacher despite the former “just playing a game.” Only a handful of people can hit a 100 mph pitch. The number of people capable of teaching - or being trained to capably teach - is exponentially higher.”

No, I don’t believe teachers are “charged” with protecting the children. I think many would do that out of love for their students, but are they required to or is that part of their job description? No, I don’t think so.

E

Moves
12 May 18

In an ideal world, police officers and firefighters would get more money than those in the jobs you listed. What’s more important than public safety? How many jobs require people to be willing to risk their lives every day?

But as I said on page one of this thread:

“It’s a great misnomer to think salaries are determined (or should be determined) by ...[text shortened]... udents, but are they required to or is that part of their job description? No, I don’t think so.
So you believe teachers should not protect children should a shooter enter the building.

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
12 May 18

So you believe teachers should not protect children should a shooter enter the building.
That’s not what I said. I said they’re not required to do that and it’s not part of their job description.

But be more specific in your use of the word “protect.” Do you mean barricading the door by pushing desks and chairs in front of it? Trying to escape from a classroom with students if gunshots sound far away? Removing a gun from a desk and protecting the students by shooting, or being prepared to shoot, in self defense? Laying on top of students so if the shooter enters the classroom he has no choice but to kill the teacher first?