Striking Teachers

Striking Teachers

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
13 May 18

Originally posted by @eladar
If their students are being threatened? Many..just like the teacher/coach who was shot and killed in Florida.
I’m sure many say they would, and, of that many, a majority probably believe it.

E

Moves
13 May 18
2 edits

Originally posted by @romans1009
I’m sure many say they would, and, of that many, a majority probably believe it.
Just ike the police officers protecting the school where the teacher was killed.

Face it you just have no respect for teachers for no reason. You think a teacher's family should have nothing.

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
13 May 18

Just ike the police officers protecting the school where the teacher was killed.

Face it you just have no respect for teachers for no reason. You think a teacher's family should have nothing.
Wrong again. I just don’t think teachers should be paid the same as police officers.

E

Moves
14 May 18

Wrong again. I just don’t think teachers should be paid the same as police officers.
So how much do you think teachers take home pay should actually be?

How much more should a police officer make compared to a teacher?

Would you suggest that your child pay for 4 years of college to make less money than a person with a high school diploma?

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
14 May 18

Would you suggest that your child pay for 4 years of college to make less money than a person with a high school diploma?
Obviously that depends on how long they’ve been a teacher and I think it should be dependent (and maybe it is) on grade and subject matter as well. I think one also has to consider the environment. Now, teachers in wealthy areas make much more than teachers in poor areas, even though the latter face a more difficult and challenging school and classroom environment. I don’t think that should be the case.

But tenure also should go out the window. At the very least, it shouldn’t be so difficult to fire a teacher. New York City is notorious for its “rubber rooms,” where grossly incompetent and law-breaking teachers read the newspaper and sleep every day at full salary.

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
14 May 18

<<How much more should a police officer make compared to a teacher?>>

Depends on how dangerous the area is.

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
14 May 18

<<Would you suggest that your child pay for 4 years of college to make less money than a person with a high school diploma?>>

I’d advise my child not to pursue a career in teaching if they want to make a lot of money.

E

Moves
14 May 18

<<Would you suggest that your child pay for 4 years of college to make less money than a person with a high school diploma?>>

I’d advise my child not to pursue a career in teaching if they want to make a lot of money.
Not what I asked. Would you tell your kid that he or she should pay for a college degree to be a teacher.

Just as an aside..how much is a lot of money?

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
14 May 18

Not what I asked. Would you tell your kid that he or she should pay for a college degree to be a teacher.

It depends on the cost of living in a particular area. Obviously a lot of money in rural Alabama is not a lot of money in New York City, but the cost of living in rural Alabama is much, much lower.

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
14 May 18

<<Not what I asked. Would you tell your kid that he or she should pay for a college degree to be a teacher.>>

I wouldn’t tell my kid what to do with his or her life. If they had a passion for teaching, I’d make sure they understood the typical salaries are not great. If they still wanted to become a teacher, I’d be all for that.

E

Moves
15 May 18

<<Not what I asked. Would you tell your kid that he or she should pay for a college degree to be a teacher.>>

I wouldn’t tell my kid what to do with his or her life. If they had a passion for teaching, I’d make sure they understood the typical salaries are not great. If they still wanted to become a teacher, I’d be all for that.
In general do you think it is a wise financial decision to pay for a 4 year degree to be a teacher?

Please answer this time.

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
15 May 18

In general do you think it is a wise financial decision to pay for a 4 year degree to be a teacher?

Please answer this time.
It depends on where they live and teach. Where I live, teachers make a decent salary - more in many instances than police officers - and are given annual raises and step increases. They also have pensions.

Name a job in the private sector with guaranteed salary increases by contract, guaranteed step increases by contract, job security and a pension.

E

Moves
15 May 18

It depends on where they live and teach. Where I live, teachers make a decent salary - more in many instances than police officers - and are given annual raises and step increases. They also have pensions.

Name a job in the private sector with guaranteed salary increases by contract, guaranteed step increases by contract, job security and a pension.
What state do you live in?

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
15 May 18

What state do you live in?
Connecticut.

E

Moves
16 May 18

Connecticut.
Now I see where your attitude is coming from. Your state dors pay well.

Get outside of your bubble and you see a different picture.

Your state is one of the richest states in the Union. Nice to live in a rich area.