"Most violence is caused by mental illness"

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

r

Moves
11 Jun 22
1 edit

r

Moves
11 Jun 22

F

Moves
11 Jun 22

The post that was quoted here has been removed
You are mistaken.

[1] Mental illness is being blamed time and time again in the "culture war" and is clearly a GOP/NRA talking point.

[2] Mental illness clearly has legal and moral implications in terms of how blame and responsibility for crime is apportioned.

F

Moves
11 Jun 22

I am not.

F

Moves
11 Jun 22
1 edit

Use this statement, if you want to, to write an OP that seeks to examine the link between morality and crime in the context of the current posturing by political spokespeople for arms manufacturers in the US who are pointing to mental health issues.

F

Moves
11 Jun 22
1 edit

Well, it is, nevetheless, a hypothetical. The question is as follows: If it were to be true, what would the implications be for the stance of religious people who assert that the level of violence in society is caused by moral decline?

r

Moves
11 Jun 22

F

Moves
11 Jun 22

The correct word isn't "does"; it's "would". It's called the subjunctive.

r

Moves
11 Jun 22

F

Moves
11 Jun 22

The fact that you clearly do not understand the subjunctive form is probably the reason why you have struggled to understand the OP.

F

Moves
11 Jun 22

Mental illness has implications for culpability and responsibility when it is a factor in a crime. The concepts of "culpability and responsibility" have both moral and legal connotations.

Fighting for men’s

right to have babies

Moves
11 Jun 22

People housed in places like Broadmoor hospital are not incarcerated there because they felt compelled to do nice things to people.

Misfit Queen

Isle of Misfit Toys

Moves
11 Jun 22

@fmf said
"In the United States, for example, violent crime rates have fallen by over 50% in many major U.S. cities since these rates peaked in the early 1990s, often referred to as the "Great Crime Decline". In New York City, these rates had dropped by 75% from the early 1990s to 2010." [wiki]

Was this "Great Crime Decline" linked in any way to an improvement in morality?
It's more likely attributable to an assault weapons ban imposed during the Clinton administration.

F

Moves
11 Jun 22

@suzianne said
It's more likely attributable to an assault weapons ban imposed during the Clinton administration.
If I am not mistaken, that assault weapons ban led to a rapid decrease in mass shootings, just as, when the ban was reversed, there was a tripling in the number of mass shootings. I don't think the ban explains the so-called "Great Crime Decline" which was a broader phenomenon that went beyond the use of assault weapons.

Moves
11 Jun 22
1 edit

@divegeester said
People housed in places like Broadmoor hospital are not incarcerated there because they felt compelled to do nice things to people.
Doesn't that also apply to all prisons, irrespective of mental health status?

I get that this thread was based on a hypothetical question, but putting that question in quotation marks (implying somebody had actually said it) was misguided, especially as mental health is already greatly stigmatized and misunderstood.