"Most violence is caused by mental illness"

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Walk your Faith

USA

Moves
11 Jun 22

@fmf said
"Most violence is caused by mental illness".

If that statement were to be true, what would the implications be for the stance of religious people who assert that the level of violence in society is caused by moral decline?
Just so we are clear, an illness is something that is not healthy, not as it should be
so when you are suggesting a mental illness by evidence of violence you are saying
that the lack of violence is a sign of a healthy mind? There should be no violence
due to a healthy mind, and any mind that causes violence is unhealthy.

Does this violence according to you have to be physical, could it be mental as well?

F

Moves
11 Jun 22

@kellyjay said
Just so we are clear, an illness is something that is not healthy, not as it should be
so when you are suggesting a mental illness by evidence of violence you are saying
that the lack of violence is a sign of a healthy mind? There should be no violence
due to a healthy mind, and any mind that causes violence is unhealthy.
I don't know what you are on about.

F

Moves
11 Jun 22

@kellyjay said
Does this violence according to you have to be physical, could it be mental as well?
When you say "this violence", what violence does the word "this" refer to?

F

Moves
11 Jun 22

@ghost-of-a-duke said
I get that this thread was based on a hypothetical question, but putting that question in quotation marks (implying somebody had actually said it) was misguided, especially as mental health is already greatly stigmatized and misunderstood.
I started the thread after I heard a right-wing commentator make the ridiculous claim in the wake of one of the recent mass shootings.

r

Moves
11 Jun 22

F

Moves
11 Jun 22

The post that was quoted here has been removed
Don't be so silly.

Walk your Faith

USA

Moves
11 Jun 22

@fmf said
Simply asking if one is the result of the other so that to see one assumes the other
is only a result of the other? To look for that cause is to reason to assume that one
comes from the other, so without the one, we see a healthier mind, one not given
to that illness.

Walk your Faith

USA

Moves
11 Jun 22

@fmf said
"Most violence"

F

Moves
11 Jun 22

@kellyjay said
Simply asking if one is the result of the other so that to see one assumes the other
is only a result of the other? To look for that cause is to reason to assume that one
comes from the other, so without the one, we see a healthier mind, one not given
to that illness.
What are you talking about? "One" and "the other"?

Walk your Faith

USA

Moves
11 Jun 22

@fmf said
What are you talking about? "One" and "the other"?
You have a mental illness; you get the other violence, cause, and effect.

F

Moves
11 Jun 22

@kellyjay said
You have a mental illness; you get the other violence, cause, and effect.
What mental illness are you referring to?

F

Moves
11 Jun 22
2 edits

@KellyJay
I would hazard a guess that a lot of violence is a result of drunkenness and drug abuse and/or as means of carrying out another crime. I would also think that almost all violence that isn't engaged in for self defence is the result of morally unsound decisions.

Walk your Faith

USA

Moves
11 Jun 22

@fmf said
What mental illness are you referring to?
If you cannot grasp your own thread as you worded it, nothing I say will matter.

F

Moves
11 Jun 22

@kellyjay said
If you cannot grasp your own thread as you worded it, nothing I say will matter.
Bow out if you wish. I don't have any trouble with the topic. You are sometimes so inarticulate that you are incoherent.

Walk your Faith

USA

Moves
11 Jun 22

@fmf said
Bow out if you wish. I don't have any trouble with the topic. You are sometimes so inarticulate that you are incoherent.
I'm sure you don't, as long as you don't have to come to some definitive meaning
behind your words, you can say whatever you will; it will not matter, after all; all
you are doing is speculating.