1. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    08 Jun '22 13:321 edit
    "Most violence is caused by mental illness".

If that statement were to be true, what would the implications be for the stance of religious people who assert that the level of violence in society is caused by moral decline?
  2. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    08 Jun '22 15:38
    @fmf said
    "Most violence is caused by mental illness".

If that statement were to be true, what would the implications be for the stance of religious people who assert that the level of violence in society is caused by moral decline?
    How do you define "violence"?

If "mental illness" was the cause of violence, then free will would cease to be a factor with regard to behavior, and accountability could not be assigned with punishment.

I think mental illness would be more apply assigned to anyone that thinks moral decline isn't the cause of violence.

And being "religious" isn't the cause of human conscience. One might ask whether the knowledge of right and wrong is designed innately into the human construct as is the heart beat, or if consciousness of morality is the product of training.

"Religion" is the product of training, but the conscience, with regards to right and wrong, is hard wired into the soul.
  3. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    08 Jun '22 15:51
    @josephw said
    How do you define "violence"?
    Define it as you wish.
  4. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    08 Jun '22 15:52
    @josephw said
    I think mental illness would be more apply assigned to anyone that thinks moral decline isn't the cause of violence.
    Really?
  5. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    08 Jun '22 15:58
    "In the United States, for example, violent crime rates have fallen by over 50% in many major U.S. cities since these rates peaked in the early 1990s, often referred to as the "Great Crime Decline". In New York City, these rates had dropped by 75% from the early 1990s to 2010." [wiki]

Was this "Great Crime Decline" linked in any way to an improvement in morality?
  6. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    08 Jun '22 16:071 edit
    https://www.mind.org.uk

Are mental health problems increasing?

The overall number of people reporting mental health problems has been going up in recent years.

The amount of people with common mental health problems went up by 20% between 1993 to 2014, in both men and women.

The percentage of people reporting severe mental health symptoms in any given week rose from 7% in 1993, to over 9% in 2014 .

The number of young women reporting common mental health problems has been going up

More relevant stuff
  7. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    08 Jun '22 16:20
    @fmf said
    Define it as you wish.
    Thanks. I'll define violence as sin in the context of this thread.
  8. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    08 Jun '22 16:23
    @fmf said
    Really?
    Yes, really. Moral decline is at the root of why people violate their conscience and excuse their sin.
  9. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    08 Jun '22 16:27
    @fmf said
    "In the United States, for example, violent crime rates have fallen by over 50% in many major U.S. cities since these rates peaked in the early 1990s, often referred to as the "Great Crime Decline". In New York City, these rates had dropped by 75% from the early 1990s to 2010." [wiki]

Was this "Great Crime Decline" linked in any way to an improvement in morality?
    I doubt it.

Crime rates dropped as a result of increased law enforcement.

Or didn't you know that?

Or do you interpret the statistics in another way? Perhaps you're a statistician today after googling?
  10. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    08 Jun '22 16:29
    @josephw said
    So, anyone who thinks mental illness is a cause of violence - and not necessarily moral decline - should, according to you, have mental illness "assigned" to them?
  11. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    08 Jun '22 16:34
    @josephw said
    Crime rates dropped as a result of increased law enforcement.
    I agree that is a major factor.
  12. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    08 Jun '22 16:35
    @fmf said
    https://www.mind.org.uk

Are mental health problems increasing?

The overall number of people reporting mental health problems has been going up in recent years.

The amount of people with common mental health problems went up by 20% between 1993 to 2014, in both men and women.

The percentage of people reporting severe mental health symptoms in any given week rose ...[text shortened]... f young women reporting common mental health problems has been going up

More relevant stuff
    "Mental health problems".

Do you know the causes for them? What's your theory?

Could it be because of moral decline? God forbid! That might just upset your worldview as defined by the prophet google. 🤣
  13. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    08 Jun '22 16:39
    @josephw said
    I doubt it.Crime rates dropped as a result of increased law enforcement.
    Do you think, then, that morality has been more or less constant and that variations in levels of violent crime are explained by factors related to law enforcement?
  14. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    08 Jun '22 16:40
    @josephw said
    "Mental health problems".

Do you know the causes for them? What's your theory?

Could it be because of moral decline?
    Explain your theory if you want.
  15. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    08 Jun '22 16:41
    @josephw said
    That might just upset your worldview as defined by the prophet google.
    You object to a few stats being provided?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree