More scientific probability and the Genesis account

More scientific probability and the Genesis account

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

F

Moves
01 Jul 12

Originally posted by RJHinds
I do not see any "moral" progess in that.
You think it is "moral" for women to be trapped in loveless or abusive marriages and/or face discrimination if they do try to escape? I don't.

rc

Moves
01 Jul 12

I do not see any "moral" progess in that. 😏
what they do not realise and utterly fail to understand is that the primary reason for
divorce is selfishness at all levels, let them state why applying the Bibles practical
council to be selfless and self sacrificing is not the course of wisdom. They have
nothing and are blinded by their self certified opinions masquerading under the guise of
moral freedoms.

F

Moves
01 Jul 12

Originally posted by robbie carrobie
what they do not realise and utterly fail to understand is that the primary reason for divorce is selfishness at all levels...
What about divorces that are caused by psychological and physical abuse and divorces that liberate children from damaging adult environments?

F

Moves
01 Jul 12

...let them state why applying the Bibles practical council to be selfless and self sacrificing is not the course of wisdom.
I think elements of selflessness and self sacrifice are excellent and admirable in a marriage. They have helped to make my marriage work, for sure. But what if it doesn't work out like that? I mean, we are not really talking about a hypothesis or a vacuum here, robbie.

The Near Genius

Fort Gordon

Moves
01 Jul 12

Originally posted by FMF
You think it is "moral" for women to be trapped in loveless or abusive marriages and/or face discrimination if they do try to escape? I don't.
No. That, however, is not the teaching of Christ or the Holy Bible. As r.c. just pointed out, that is due to selfishness and lust. 😏

F

Moves
01 Jul 12

No. That, however, is not the teaching of Christ or the Holy Bible. As r.c. just pointed out, that is due to selfishness and lust.
I am not talking about "selfishness and lust". I am talking about a divorce rate increasing, in part, because women don't have to be trapped in loveless or abusive marriages and/or face discrimination if they do try to escape [or get their children away from emotionally damaging marriage and home life], like they did back when the divorce rate appeared to be 'nicer'. There was a time when women just had to endure the consequences of the "selfishness and lust" of their unfaithful husbands. This is disguised by the fact that they couldn't divorce them, and therefore is an ugliness hidden by the lower divorce rates of yesteryear.

ka
The Axe man

Brisbane,QLD

Moves
01 Jul 12

Originally posted by FMF
I am not talking about "selfishness and lust". I am talking about a divorce rate increasing, in part, because women don't have to be trapped in loveless or abusive marriages and/or face discrimination if they do try to escape [or get their children away from emotionally damaging marriage and home life], like they did back when the divorce rate appeared to be 'ni ...[text shortened]... orce them, and therefore is an ugliness hidden by the lower divorce rates of yesteryear.
I'm with you all the way on this one FMF.
Your last few comments here have been spot on.

The Near Genius

Fort Gordon

Moves
01 Jul 12

Originally posted by FMF
I am not talking about "selfishness and lust". I am talking about a divorce rate increasing, in part, because women don't have to be trapped in loveless or abusive marriages and/or face discrimination if they do try to escape [or get their children away from emotionally damaging marriage and home life], like they did back when the divorce rate appeared to be 'ni ...[text shortened]... orce them, and therefore is an ugliness hidden by the lower divorce rates of yesteryear.
The point you are missing is that "selfishness and lust". is the root of the problem of divorce and abuse and is also not part of the teachings of Christ or the Holy Bible. That is a teaching of Satan the devil. 😏

rc

Moves
01 Jul 12
1 edit

Originally posted by karoly aczel
I'm with you all the way on this one FMF.
Your last few comments here have been spot on.
Its the usual bluster and unworthy of serious comment, if he had actually made
reference to the main reasons for divorce rather than highlighting a specific instance,
(which has it roots also is selfishness on the part of those husbands who failed to take
care of the physical and emotional well being of their wifes as advocated in scripture)
he may have had a point, as it stands he is guilty of the exact same method those
critics of the Bible are, displaying a bias to substantiate a baseless claim, as yet, not
he, nor you nor anyone else for that matter has stated why the Bibles council is not the
course of wisdom in this regard. Which was after all, the point being made.

rc

Moves
01 Jul 12

The point you are missing is that "selfishness and lust". is the root of the problem of divorce and abuse and is also not part of the teachings of Christ or the Holy Bible. That is a teaching of Satan the devil. 😏
they are uninterested in the Bibles wise council, otherwise they might have made
reference to it, but their own ideas are more important to them, that is why they seek
to establish them above all else.

F

Moves
01 Jul 12

So the increasing divorce rate, in so far as it represent women escaping infidelity and abuse, is to be welcomed. The ending of this psychological suffering and the end of discrimination against women who divorce is moral progress, surely. What kind of "morality" demands that a woman endures loneliness, infidelity and abuse without hope of relief or escape?

F

Moves
01 Jul 12

they are uninterested in the Bibles wise council, otherwise they might have made
reference to it, but their own ideas are more important to them, that is why they seek
to establish them above all else.
Well, as I said to you robbie, I think elements of selflessness and self sacrifice as mentioned in the Bible are excellent and admirable in a marriage. But what if it doesn't work out like that? You've dodged the question.

The Near Genius

Fort Gordon

Moves
01 Jul 12

Originally posted by FMF
So the increasing divorce rate, in so far as it represent women escaping infidelity and abuse, is to be welcomed. The ending of this psychological suffering and the end of discrimination against women who divorce is moral progress, surely. What kind of "morality" demands that a woman endures loneliness, infidelity and abuse without hope of relief or escape?
I am aware of no "morality" that "demand" such as that. 😏

F

Moves
01 Jul 12
1 edit

Its the usual bluster and unworthy of serious comment, if he had actually made
reference to the main reasons for divorce rather than highlighting a specific instance,
(which has it roots also is selfishness on the part of those husbands who failed to take
care of the physical and emotional well being of their wifes as advocated in scripture)
...[text shortened]... ouncil is not the
course of wisdom in this regard. Which was after all, the point being made.
Robbie, do you seriously think the lower divorce rates in the past meant that marriages were 'better' and more "moral" [with respect to the problems that we have discussed here] than they are now? No of course not. So tell us what higher divorce rates mean in this age of less discrimination against women for being divorced and the increased economic independence of women?

F

Moves
01 Jul 12

I am aware of no "morality" that "demand" such as that.
Is getting divorced "moral"?