More scientific probability and the Genesis account

More scientific probability and the Genesis account

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

s
Fast and Curious

slatington, pa, usa

Moves
30 Jun 12

Originally posted by RJHinds
You drink of your water and you will thirst again until the time of your death; for it is appointed for man, once to die and then the judgment.
HalleluYah !!! Praise the Lord!
I once learned about communism, tell a lie, make it big enough and people will believe. Just like religion. EXACTLY like religion.

Cape Town

Moves
30 Jun 12

Originally posted by sonhouse
I once learned about communism, tell a lie, make it big enough and people will believe. Just like religion. EXACTLY like religion.
And Americans were told (and believed, and many still believe) lots of lies about communism. In fact, american anti-communism is very much like a religion.

The Near Genius

Fort Gordon

Moves
30 Jun 12

Okay, but what you fail to realize is that Christ is the way, the truth, and the life. HalleluYah !!! Praise the Lord!

The Near Genius

Fort Gordon

Moves
30 Jun 12

Originally posted by twhitehead
And Americans were told (and believed, and many still believe) lots of lies about communism. In fact, american anti-communism is very much like a religion.
Communism is very much like a false religion!

V

Windsor, Ontario

Moves
30 Jun 12

Communism is very much like a false religion!
that's right. the only true religion is non-religion.

Moves
30 Jun 12

Originally posted by VoidSpirit
I know what you mean but I have to step in here because RJHinds and others like to claim
that atheism is a religion (as well as science and 'evolutionism'😉 which is false.

Not believing in a deity is not a religion.

It is however the only current rational position on the subject.
The only position actually supported by the evidence as it now stands.

A religion is a belief system that includes dogma and a belief in some kind of afterlife and
often but not always a belief in a deity or deities.

Atheism (non-theism, non-religion) is not a belief system, does not have any dogma, does not
include a belief in an afterlife, and certainly does not include a belief in a deity.

Atheism (non-theism, non-religion) is not a religion.

Just wanted to make that clear.

The Near Genius

Fort Gordon

Moves
30 Jun 12

Originally posted by VoidSpirit
TRUE RELIGION OFFERS LIBERTY.

1. The Slave – You Lose your Liberty

“It is for freedom that Christ has set us free. Stand firm, then, and do not let yourselves be burdened again by a yoke of slavery” (Galatians 5:1)

Turn your back on grace and you become a slave again. Jesus promised in Matthew 11: “Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For my yoke is easy and my burden is light.” (Matthew 11:28-30)

The yoke of religion is a burden. The yoke of legalism enslaves. The yoke of Jesus is easy and light - because he carries it for you. The word for ‘easy’ means ‘gracious’. That is what grace means. Jesus Christ carries the burden so we don’t have to. He guides and strengthens us by His Spirit, so we don’t have to be enslaved again to do’s and don’ts. The slave - you lose your liberty.

2. The Debtor - You Lose your Wealth

“Mark my words! I, Paul, tell you that if you let yourselves be circumcised, Christ will be of no value to you at all. Again I declare to every man who lets himself be circumcised that he is obligated to obey the whole law. You who are trying to be justified by law have been alienated from Christ; you have fallen away from grace.” (Galatians 5:2-5)

Paul uses three phrases to describe the losses a person incurs when they turn from grace to law. “Christ will be of no value to you.” (5:2), you are “obligated to obey the whole law” (5:3) and you become “alienated from Christ.” (5:4). The word translated ‘obligated’ in verse 3 means a ‘debtor’ or one who owes.

“In him we have redemption through his blood, the forgiveness of sins, in accordance with the riches of God’s grace that he lavished on us with all wisdom and understanding.” (Ephesians 1:7-8)

Trade that to look good in the eyes of some legalistic Christians who judge you by what you wear, by what you do, or what you drive? To gamble law for grace and lose all you have in Jesus is foolishness. Because, says Paul, if you want to be judged by what you do, you are obligated to keep the whole of the OT Law. This is the hypocrisy of legalism.

Keeping some of the law won’t work. It is like being stopped by the police on the motorway for driving at 100 mph and then boasting that you have never committed adultery, stolen anything or cheated on your tax return. It may make the policeman smile but it won’t get you off.

But there’s worse - Trade law for grace and Christ becomes of no value to you, says Paul. You lose the credit Jesus gives. Try and be righteous before God through keeping the law and you lose the righteousness of Christ that is credited to us. The believer who chooses to live by rules and regulations becomes not just a slave but a bankrupt slave. The believer who chooses legalism robs themselves of their spiritual liberty and wealth. It is the path of bondage and bankruptcy. The legalist is like a slave - you lose your liberty. Is like a debtor - you lose your wealth. The third analogy Paul uses.

3. The Runner – You Lose your Direction

“You were running a good race. Who cut in on you and kept you from obeying the truth? That kind of persuasion does not come from the one who calls you.” (Galatians 5:7-8)

Paul liked to use athletic illustrations to describe the Christian life. In this races, so popular in Roman times, each athlete was assigned a lane. But some runners would cheat and cut in on their competitors to try and put them off course. This is what the Judaizers were doing to the believers in Galatia. They cut in on them and were forcing them to change direction. To take a spiritual detour, back to the Old Testament which they had already left behind.

It is not wrong to have standards in a church. That is why we have a membership covenant. Not to judge but to motivate.

We must never imagine that keeping religious standards will make us spiritual, or impose the keeping of standards as evidence of spirituality. We are saved by grace and we are sustained by grace. Three things you will lose if you turn your back on the grace of God. Slavery - you lose your liberty. Debt - you lose your wealth. Running - You lose your direction. The believer who abandons grace for law becomes a slave, a pauper and a runner who has lost their way. But the believer who lives by God’s grace, is free, is rich and running in the lane that leads to reward and fulfilment. But will also lead to persecution. For, as Paul explains to Timothy, “everyone who wants to live a godly life in Christ Jesus will be persecuted.” (2 Timothy 3:12).

But if we hold onto grace, we will find like Paul, that God’s “grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness.” (2 Corinthians 12:9). For God’s grace is sufficient for every demand of life (Hebrews 4:16). We are saved by grace (Ephesians 2:8-9). We serve by grace (1 Cor. 15:9-10). Grace motivates us to give (2 Cor. 8:7). Grace enables us to endure suffering (2 Cor. 12:9).

http://www.cc-vw.org/sermons/galatians5.htm

s
Fast and Curious

slatington, pa, usa

Moves
01 Jul 12

TRUE RELIGION OFFERS LIBERTY.

1. The Slave – You Lose your Liberty

“It is for freedom that Christ has set us free. Stand firm, then, and do not let yourselves be burdened again by a yoke of slavery” (Galatians 5:1)

Turn your back on grace and you become a slave again. Jesus promised in Matthew 11: “Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, a ...[text shortened]... 2 Cor. 12:9).

http://www.cc-vw.org/sermons/galatians5.htm

You really think we are going to read that claptrap? You can't come up with anything elegant on your own so are only able to cut and paste other people's words. More non-holy man made BS to control men like you and subjugate women.

You can't get around, or rationalize your way out of your own bible saying men are worth 50 shekels but women 35. It's right in your own bible, the suppression of women.

None of that matters to you, because you just cherry pick what part of the bible you profess to believe in.

The Near Genius

Fort Gordon

Moves
01 Jul 12
1 edit

You really think we are going to read that claptrap? You can't come up with anything elegant on your own so are only able to cut and paste other people's words. More non-holy man made BS to control men like you and subjugate women.

You can't get around, or rationalize your way out of your own bible saying men are worth 50 shekels but women 35. It's righ ...[text shortened]... tters to you, because you just cherry pick what part of the bible you profess to believe in.
I knew you did not like my words. But what is wrong with this other person's words?

P.S. There is nothing about subjugating women in his words.

rc

Moves
01 Jul 12
3 edits

I knew you did not like my words. But what is wrong with this other person's words?

P.S. There is nothing about subjugating women in his words.
these critics of the scripture are such biased hypocrites, why? they always
exclusively pick out certain passages which feeds their prejudices and ignore all
others which demonstrate an entirely different perspective, for example, why do
they never mention the following,

(Ephesians 5:25-29) . . .Husbands, continue loving your wives, just as the Christ
also loved the congregation and delivered up himself for it,  that he might sanctify it,
cleansing it with the bath of water by means of the word,  that he might present the
congregation to himself in its splendour, not having a spot or a wrinkle or any of
such things, but that it should be holy and without blemish.  In this way husbands
ought to be loving their wives as their own bodies. He who loves his wife loves
himself,  for no man ever hated his own flesh; but he feeds and cherishes it,
as the Christ also does the congregation

indeed as Christ does the congregation, in other words, husbands are to be self
sacrificing, putting the interests of their wives above themselves.

contrast this with the now 50% divorce rate engendered by the secular materialists
who have disdained such wise and practical Biblical advice under the guise of their
moral freedoms (in reality their self interest) and one can readily discern how
utterly idiotic their course of action is, for while they are riling against scripture
painting a biased picture, their own house is burning and as we have come to
realise, they have no answers except their hollow assertions.

The Near Genius

Fort Gordon

Moves
01 Jul 12

Originally posted by robbie carrobie
these critics of the scripture are such biased hypocrites, why? they always
exclusively pick out certain passages which feeds their prejudices and ignore all
others which demonstrate an entirely different perspective, for example, why do
they never mention the following,

(Ephesians 5:25-29) . . .Husbands, continue loving your wives, just a ...[text shortened]... s burning and as we have come to
realise, they have no answers except their hollow assertions.
I am 68 years old now and I have never been divorced. I have been married only once to the same woman who has subjucated me for over 45 years. 😏

rc

Moves
01 Jul 12

I am 68 years old now and I have never been divorced. I have been married only once to the same woman who has subjucated me for over 45 years. 😏
yes, that's fine, some people are betrayed by their partners and have no choice but the
point is, these critics of scripture are biased and prejudiced and have no answers of
their own making them hypocrites.

F

Moves
01 Jul 12

contrast this with the now 50% divorce rate engendered by the secular materialists who have disdained such wise and practical Biblical advice under the guise of their moral freedoms (in reality their self interest) ...
More women being able to walk away from loveless or abusive marriages because of their increased economic independence, and decreasing discrimination against them for being divorcees, is an example of moral progress.

The Near Genius

Fort Gordon

Moves
01 Jul 12

yes, that's fine, some people are betrayed by their partners and have no choice but the
point is, these critics of scripture are biased and prejudiced and have no answers of
their own making them hypocrites.
Yes, they use "quote mining" in an attempt to discredit the Holy Bible and claim that God was created by man. This is a Satanic argument in direct opposition to the truth. 😏

The Near Genius

Fort Gordon

Moves
01 Jul 12

Originally posted by FMF
More women being able to walk away from loveless or abusive marriages because of their increased economic independence, and decreasing discrimination against them for being divorcees, is an example of moral progress.
I do not see any "moral" progess in that. 😏