1. Subscribermoonbus
    Über-Nerd
    Moves
    11 Jan '23 08:31
    @fmf said
    Perceiving God figures that are variously made in man's image seems to be a common theme down through human history and across cultures

Does this not tell us more about the human condition than it does about the nature of the universe and the nature of the entity that possibly created it.
    It does.

There are black Madonnas in Africa, and I have seen blond, blue-eyed Jesuses in Bavarian chapels.

Islam, on the other hand, forbids any graphic representation of the deity.
  2. Subscribermoonbus
    Über-Nerd
    Moves
    11 Jan '23 08:35
    @kevin-eleven said
    Please list five religions of Earth (excluding Christianity) which have humaniform God figures.

I'll grant that Hinduism does have some, so you would only need to list four others. Too bad for you that Judaism and Islam do not have such humaniform God figures!

Good luck!
    Greek/Roman paganism comes readily to mind. Egyptian pharaohs were considered gods, and several Egyptian deities had human bodies with animal heads, or v.v. The Norse gods (Odin et al) had human form.
  3. Joined
    06 May '15
    Moves
    11 Jan '23 08:43
    Has anyone been in touch with the dolphins and the whales to ask what they think about this question?
  4. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    11 Jan '23 09:17
    @moonbus said
    It does.

There are black Madonnas in Africa, and I have seen blond, blue-eyed Jesuses in Bavarian chapels.

Islam, on the other hand, forbids any graphic representation of the deity.
    Being "made in the image of God" clearly is not about beards, penises, and arms and legs etcetera i.e. representation; instead, it's about the emotions, motivations, and cognition of the purported God figures which is little other than rather clumsy or obvious anthropomorphization: human attributes projected onto a "superhuman"... "Oh no, God is angry, vengeful, jealous, lonely, sad, etc. Hence: the making of Gods in man's image - a throughline, it would seem, for human history.
  5. Joined
    06 May '15
    Moves
    11 Jan '23 09:33
    @fmf said
    Being "made in the image of God" clearly is not about beards, penises, and arms and legs etcetera i.e. representation; instead, it's about the emotions, motivations, and cognition of the purported God figures which is little other than rather clumsy or obvious anthropomorphization: human attributes projected onto a "superhuman"... "Oh no, God is angry, vengeful, jealous, lonely, ...[text shortened]... . Hence: the making of Gods in man's image - a throughline, it would seem, for human history.
    "Clearly" how?
  6. Subscribermoonbus
    Über-Nerd
    Moves
    13 Jan '23 08:46

This post is unavailable.

Please refer to our posting guidelines.

7. Subscribermoonbus
    Über-Nerd
    Moves
    13 Jan '23 08:49
    @fmf said
    Being "made in the image of God" clearly is not about beards, penises, and arms and legs etcetera i.e. representation; instead, it's about the emotions, motivations, and cognition of the purported God figures which is little other than rather clumsy or obvious anthropomorphization: human attributes projected onto a "superhuman"... "Oh no, God is angry, vengeful, jealous, lonely, ...[text shortened]... . Hence: the making of Gods in man's image - a throughline, it would seem, for human history.
    I agree that God does not have a pancreas or a beard. Man is made in God's image in the sense that man is conscious of having a purpose in life and moral responsibility for his actions, which plants and animals do not. Gods are made in man's image in the sense of anthropomorphizing human attributes (anger, vengeance, jealousy, etc.).
  8. Standard membermchill
    Cryptic
    Behind the scenes
    Moves
    13 Jan '23 13:481 edit
    @kevin-eleven said
    If there are any Jewish rabbis near you, and if you are sincerely interested in exploring the various facets of this question, I would suggest you engage in sincere conversation with them.
    Good idea - the Buddhist Rabbis probably wouldn't be interested in the subject. 😏
  9. Subscribermoonbus
    Über-Nerd
    Moves
    14 Jan '23 09:34
    @mchill said
    Good idea - the Buddhist Rabbis probably wouldn't be interested in the subject. 😏
    😆
  10. Standard memberSoothfast
    Planet Rain
    Moves
    16 Jan '23 06:211 edit
    @kevin-eleven said
    Please list five religions of Earth (excluding Christianity) which have humaniform God figures.

I'll grant that Hinduism does have some, so you would only need to list four others. Too bad for you that Judaism and Islam do not have such humaniform God figures!

Good luck!
    The Greek gods, and Roman gods, and the Norse pantheon. Most all the Celtic gods. I reach back to the ancient times here, when religions were as yet not quite as organized and largely isolated from one another. The Mayan gods, the Incan gods...well, the list goes on.

The point is that humans have indeed been inventing (or discovering!) gods in their own image since prehistoric times.
  11. Subscribermoonbus
    Über-Nerd
    Moves
    16 Jan '23 19:581 edit
    @soothfast said
    The Greek gods, and Roman gods, and the Norse pantheon. Most all the Celtic gods. I reach back to the ancient times here, when religions were as yet not quite as organized and largely isolated from one another. The Mayan gods, the Incan gods...well, the list goes on.

The point is that humans have indeed been inventing (or discovering!) gods in their own image since prehistoric times.
    “Mankind wouldn’t know how to create a maggot, yet he invents gods by the dozens.”

~~ Michael de Montaigne
  12. Joined
    15 Jun '10
    Moves
    17 Jan '23 09:44
    @kevin-eleven said
    Because they might teach you some lessons in how such questions are turned over among serious seekers as opposed to solitary, prideful internet clowns whose only goal is to fluff their transitory little selves up by making others look bad.
    What do you think these 'serious seekers' are seeking for?
  13. Joined
    29 Mar '09
    Moves
    14 Feb '23 23:47
    @fmf said
    Perceiving God figures that are variously made in man's image seems to be a common theme down through human history and across cultures

Does this not tell us more about the human condition than it does about the nature of the universe and the nature of the entity that possibly created it.
    Frailty of human critical thinking comes to mind with this question. I am happily ignorant of the religion of the many cultures, however with Christianity it is clear that the nature of their God as it is written in the bible does commit such atrocities that one would think was unworthy of worship. Conditional love attained by fear by a reward/punishment system also is normal in the good book. A woman named Christy Lane sang a song and one of the lines said "you've got the power to save me and it makes me love you so much". I would hope that she had deeper love for her husband than that. I think people are better than that of the God they create. The worshiping readers seem to gloss over the many parts of the bible that give them cognizant dissonance and move on to the parts they like. It is easy to say if God did it, it must have been good. On another note, prayer for things such as getting a job, healing relationships, winning football games etc... with the expectation God might answer them if he so desires all the while young Billy down the street died from leukemia and millions of children have died from mosquito vectored disease despite prayers for them does seem to be the condition of man.
  14. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    26 Feb '23 08:22
    @excited-exile said
    Has anyone been in touch with the dolphins and the whales to ask what they think about this question?
    You’ve got till October 2025 to research it; don’t forget to let us know how it pans out.
  15. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    26 Feb '23 08:46
    @joe-beyser said
    Frailty of human critical thinking comes to mind with this question. I am happily ignorant of the religion of the many cultures, however with Christianity it is clear that the nature of their God as it is written in the bible does commit such atrocities that one would think was unworthy of worship. Conditional love attained by fear by a reward/punishment system also is no ...[text shortened]... e died from mosquito vectored disease despite prayers for them does seem to be the condition of man.
    This sound like petty talk you’re doing there.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree