Living in Truth.

Living in Truth.

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sinner

Saved by grace

Moves
24 Mar 19
1 edit

@fmf said
Doubt and uncertainty are not confining.

They provide a basis for open-mindedness.
Doubt and uncertainty, if abused, can cause closed-mindedness.

Knowledge of the Truth is the basis of open-mindedness, and a filter for false information.

F

Moves
24 Mar 19

@secondson said
Doubt and uncertainty, if abused, can cause closed-mindedness.
Religious certainty and close-mindedness, if abused, can lead to mass murder.

C
It is what it is

Pretoria

Moves
24 Mar 19
1 edit

@secondson said
You're being ridiculous. You asked a question and kelly gave you his honest answer.

And now, you and FMF seek to trivialize and diminish the answer by use of the term "bumperstickerism" simply because you can't come up with anything better.
No, KJ did not give me an honest answer, he gave me a slogan.

OK, “bumperstickerism” may to you sound offensive, but to me it paints the picture. Just saying some words that sound religious.

Please, can you really not understand my post? I (and fmf) DID give you a whole lot of suggestions and alternatives to what we think is living in truth. It has nothing to do with believing in Jesus or not, just with what you do on Monday morning.

And you both evade answering that by hiding behind pious sayings.

The Apologist

Moves
24 Mar 19

@fmf said
Religious certainty and close-mindedness, if abused, can lead to mass murder.
As can atheism, which has killed far more people.

The Apologist

Moves
24 Mar 19

Living in the truth is acknowledging how we came to exist, acknowledging the demands made upon us by existence, acknowledging the inherent worth of every being and striving to love them all as you wish to be loved. Jesus did and does all this better than anyone, so I seek to follow His example with His help.

Sinner

Saved by grace

Moves
24 Mar 19

@caljust said
@CalJust
Here is another example to elaborate what I mean by the statement Living in Truth.

For years I was a devout (and I would almost say fanatical) supporter of YECreationism and the literal interpretation of the Bible. I would speak at youth camps about the six days and against evolution. In fact, if you can retrieve my early posts in this forum from about 2005 to 20 ...[text shortened]... openly and honestly in the way that I believe is right for me. No more fooling myself and hiding it.
Explains a lot.

So what you're saying is is that "living in the Truth" has facilitated the transformation from believing in the literal interpretation of the Genesis account of creation to faith in the scientific theory of evolution.

Does that mean you believe God initiated evolution?

F

Moves
24 Mar 19

@secondson said
Knowledge of the Truth is the basis of open-mindedness, and a filter for false information.
Capitalizing the T in "truth" when you are asserting you "know" about "intangible and unknowable" things, and generally channelling Dasa day in day out, makes me think you probably lean more towards the pez dispenser-religionist end of the spectrum rather than the open-minded truth seeker end.

F

Moves
24 Mar 19

@caljust said
OK, “bumperstickerism” may to you sound offensive, but to me it paints the picture. Just saying some words that sound religious.
RHP's Spirituality Forum has long been dominated by talk the talk Christians who believe they are saved by thinking the think and who show little interest in what walk the walk Christianity entails or what it produces.

Kali

PenTesting

Moves
24 Mar 19

@fmf said
RHP's Spirituality Forum has long been dominated by talk the talk Christians who believe they are saved by thinking the think and who show little interest in what walk the walk Christianity entails or what it produces.
Correct.
Living in truth = walking the walk.

C
It is what it is

Pretoria

Moves
24 Mar 19

@secondson said

Does that mean you believe God initiated evolution?
Exactly.

God is a living god, and he continues to create - constantly, every day, and evolution is his chosen process.

Just like the earliest scientists - like Newton - believed in a Creator God and spent their lives seeking and trying to discover his ways, so are we discovering the miraculous ways that evolution still continues today.

C
It is what it is

Pretoria

Moves
24 Mar 19

@CalJust

To secondson and KJ:

OK, I accept your bona fides that for you living in truth means living with Jesus. No arguments there.

All I ask if you could please fill in the picture, so that I can understand how that works for you.

For example, it could mean that every morning in your quiet time of prayer you seek guidance for the day, and then you try to the best of your ability to follow those directions.

Or it could mean that you study his words and ascertain how you should behave that day. Or something along those lines.

This is not a frivolous question, nor a path for arguments, but a sincere seeking to understand how "living for Jesus" plays out in your life.

C
It is what it is

Pretoria

Moves
24 Mar 19

@secondson said
So what you're saying is is that "living in the Truth" has facilitated the transformation from believing in the literal interpretation of the Genesis account of creation to faith in the scientific theory of evolution
Yes, that is what I am saying. And I believe that god lead me along that road of discovery!

The literal interpretation of the Bible is only one form, and the lowest form, of understanding the Bible. Far better ways are to understand the cultural, social and political context in which the books were written (for example, Deuteronomy was written during the Babylonian exile) and then interpreting the message that god wanted to bring home.

Changing from the simplistic literal interpretation, with all its pitfalls, to a deeper understanding of the spiritual truths and messages, has enriched my life and strengthened my faith, not diminished it.

But discussing that would go beyond the purpose of this thread.

The Apologist

Moves
24 Mar 19

@fmf said
One would think that the way you speak of "the walk" of Christianity with such reverence that you are a Christian yourself. But you're not. Can there be any reason for this disconnect other than raging hypocrisy?

Sinner

Saved by grace

Moves
24 Mar 19

@fmf said
Capitalizing the T in "truth" when you are asserting you "know" about "intangible and unknowable" things, and generally channelling Dasa day in day out, makes me think you probably lean more towards the pez dispenser-religionist end of the spectrum rather than the open-minded truth seeker end.
The T in "truth" was capitalized in the OP. Try to keep pace with the thread topic instead of deflecting by going off into tangents.

Sinner

Saved by grace

Moves
24 Mar 19

@caljust said
No, KJ did not give me an honest answer, he gave me a slogan.

Please, can you really not understand my post? I (and fmf) DID give you a whole lot of suggestions and alternatives to what we think is living in truth. It has nothing to do with b ...[text shortened]... what you do on Monday morning.

And you both evade answering that by hiding behind pious sayings.
Upon what basis of Truth do you build a living?

In other words, what Truth is it you are living in?

Seems rather sloganistic to claim to be "living in Truth", yet are unable to say what that Truth is.

You got an honest answer to your question, but because it flies in the face of both yours and FMF's worldview you demonized the answer as “bumperstickerism”, yet fail to define the term "Truth" as it relates to your slogan of "living in Truth".