Living in Truth.

Living in Truth.

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

C
It is what it is

Pretoria

Moves
26 Mar 19
1 edit

@thinkofone saidMost have an aversion to, if not hatred of, truth - fundamentalist Christians such as the aforementioned as much if not more than anyone. This is why you are unable to get them to engage in "rational discussion". This is why they are "defensive and ready to retaliate on the slightest pretext". It is what it is.

Matthew 6
22“The eye is the lamp of the body; so then if ...[text shortened]... y will be full of darkness. If then the light that is in you is darkness, how great is the darkness!
Hi ToO,
I think we have chatted before, but I cannot remember what about so I can't hang a label around your neck (hah!) and your profile doesn't really help...

But I have pretty much hung my own washing out to dry, nailed my colors to the mast, etc, and everybody pretty much knows where I stand on most issues.

But (and most importantly!) non of those issues are sacrosanct, they are not for sale or being marketed, I am quite happy with what anybody believes, and will not try to change their minds. Why should I ?

And I DO believe that we can learn from each other, none of us is perfect. But there has to be a basic minimum amount of decency - and logic - involved, otherwise why bother?

Here is an example of what I would have expected from either KJ, sonship, secondson and others in response to my OP:

"As you know I am a Christian and strive to live according to the Word of God. It is my life's passion. But sometimes I still find that I am not being truthful and that bothers me. And there are people I really cannot stand - take my mother-in-law, for example, and I see her in church every Sunday! But by and large, I walk with Jesus, he forgives me my sins, and I do believe that I am growing as a Christian."

Anything alond those lines would show even the hardiest atheist that here we have a fellow human being who deserves at least our acknowledgement (even when we don't agree) and not our ridicule.

I would be very happy if we could start a chat about stuff that affects us all, even though we may be Baptists, JWs, Mormons or Muslims - or atheists. Things like e.g. how does suffering affect us, or what does "the pursuit of happiness" mean and is it really valid (deliver the goods)?

Problem, of course, is that there is a real possibility of (what fmf calls) bumperstickerisms like: all you have to do is trust the Lord! and if you read these or those verses in the Bible everything will be clear!

In other words, could we share our thoughts and beliefs without necessarily proselytizing?

Do you think it's worth a shot? I would like to believe that even totally committed Christians can still discuss something without feeling compelled to have to preach....

I live in hope!

Secret RHP coder

on the payroll

Moves
26 Mar 19

@caljust said
@CalJust
In starting this thread, I had hoped that perhaps a rational discussion berween consenting adults was possible.

It seems, regretfully, it ain’t.

It is almost impossible to avoid the ping-pong, back-and-forth insults:

[i]You guys are all naive, ignorant and misguided! Nyah, nyah, nyah! .........

And you guys are all going to hell! Nyah nyah backatcha! ...[text shortened]... of the quiksands of mutual insults and interpersonal rejection. I weep for mankind (and womankind).
I think some rational discussion happened.

There was also some of the usual bickering.

Rather than get discouraged by the latter, I choose to focus on the former.

Yearning for a "perfect" thread, in in which all participants use only reason (while omitting passion, which is unnatural for people to do, come to think of it) is bound to end in disappointment.

C
It is what it is

Pretoria

Moves
26 Mar 19

@bigdoggproblem said
I think some rational discussion happened.
There was also some of the usual bickering.
Rather than get discouraged by the latter, I choose to focus on the former.

Yearning for a "perfect" thread, in in which all participants use only reason (while omitting passion, which is unnatural for people to do, come to think of it) is bound to end in disappointment.
Thank you! A clear thinker is what was needed.

Of course, I should be the first to remember "forget the perfect offering, there is a crack in everything..." it's on my profile for heaven's sake.

Again, thanks for bringing balance, BDP.

Texasman

San Antonio Texas

Moves
26 Mar 19
1 edit

@caljust said
Thank you! A clear thinker is what was needed.

Of course, I should be the first to remember "forget the perfect offering, there is a crack in everything..." it's on my profile for heaven's sake.

Again, thanks for bringing balance, BDP.
I actually miss posting and conversing with others and there is always something to learn even if we don't agree. But I've been ignoring the few that don't have the decency to keep the insults and harassment out of their comments. Maybe they get off on it but I don't. And I seriously doubt Jesus appreciates it either.
I'm hoping with a few here speaking up against it, this will help. Time will tell.

ENGLAND

Moves
26 Mar 19

@galveston75 said
An honest request and I hope one that ALL will consider because this spiritual forum is rotten. It stinks and has become something I've almost come to hate and that saddens me so much as I know it does to many others.
And yet you are hardly ever here. You’re full of crap old chap.

ENGLAND

Moves
26 Mar 19

@galveston75 said
An honest request and I hope one that ALL will consider because this spiritual forum is rotten. It stinks and has become something I've almost come to hate and that saddens me so much as I know it does to many others.
If God were to possibly be looking in on this to see what is being discussed, well I'd have to assume he'd be pretty ashamed with what is often expressed ...[text shortened]... e as a normal amount of respect that I would think should be used by all, you shouldn't be here.....
Then just answer this simple question about your cult:

Is it possible to be “subject to Jesus and his Kingdom” as you describe it here, without being a member of the Jehovah’s Witness church?

Yes or no?

Texasman

San Antonio Texas

Moves
27 Mar 19

See here it goes....I guess the mentality, heart, lack of a conscience and most of all no concept of decency, can really deeply exist in some to the point they just can't help it.
Lol... he can't even get it thru his brain that I have answered that before in what I thought was a clear and simple answer. Wow!!!!!

ENGLAND

Moves
27 Mar 19

@galveston75 said
See here it goes....I guess the mentality, heart, lack of a conscience and most of all no concept of decency, can really deeply exist in some to the point they just can't help it.
Lol... he can't even get it thru his brain that I have answered that before in what I thought was a clear and simple answer. Wow!!!!!
Well I might use the word “crap” but I don’t accuse other people of being “worse that Satan” like you do. Which is worse thing to say do you think?

You’re such a coward.

Walk your Faith

USA

Moves
27 Mar 19

@galveston75 said
I actually miss posting and conversing with others and there is always something to learn even if we don't agree. But I've been ignoring the few that don't have the decency to keep the insults and harassment out of their comments. Maybe they get off on it but I don't. And I seriously doubt Jesus appreciates it either.
I'm hoping with a few here speaking up against it, this will help. Time will tell.
Nice seeing you back so we can agree and disagree. 🙂

ENGLAND

Moves
27 Mar 19

@kellyjay said
Nice seeing you back so we can agree and disagree. 🙂
Well I hope each of you doesn’t upset the other’s delicate sensibilities or you’ll both end up ignoring each other and trying to reply by proxy through another poster.

Or maybe you’ll just pass notes while pulling each other’s hair.

Texasman

San Antonio Texas

Moves
27 Mar 19

@KellyJay
No problem. Always have good discussions with you....Thanks.

ENGLAND

Moves
27 Mar 19

@galveston75 said
@KellyJay
No problem. Always have good discussions with you....Thanks.
In reference to your post the other day:

Is it possible to be “subject to Jesus and his Kingdom” as you describe it there, without being a member of the Jehovah’s Witness church?

Yes or no?

Sinner

Saved by grace

Moves
27 Mar 19

@divegeester said
In reference to your post the other day:

Is it possible to be “subject to Jesus and his Kingdom” as you describe it there, without being a member of the Jehovah’s Witness church?

Yes or no?
Is it possible for one to be an asshat and screw up the meaning and correct application of Romans 3:20,21 and 3:28 and still be a member of the church of Jesus Christ?

Yes or no?

ENGLAND

Moves
27 Mar 19

@secondson said
Is it possible for one to be an asshat and screw up the meaning and correct application of Romans 3:20,21 and 3:28 and still be a member of the church of Jesus Christ?

Yes or no?
Oh dear, you are still in a grumpy mood with me aren’t you.

Galveston75 will be glad of the support though I’m sure.

Kali

PenTesting

Moves
27 Mar 19
1 edit

@galveston75 said
What you do not realize is that your posts sound like cut and pastes from the JW website rather than from the teachings of Jesus and the Apostles, whose focus is righteousness and good works. It is not about going door to door, or not being part of this world and Satan is in control of the world BS. You also fail to address clearly and concisely questions address to you. Nobody will take your posts seriously unless you take them seriously also.