1. Standard memberDeepThought
    Losing the Thread
    Quarantined World
    Moves
    09 Jun '19 07:481 edit
    @fmf said
    He used to claim to be a Christian and also espoused presuppositionalism - which is the idea that only someone who believes in the Christian God can understand logic, morality, science, and consciousness.

In 2018 he admitted that he did not believe in God [and started calling himself a "Cultural Christian" instead, which is, I suppose, what I am]. He went from basically belie ...[text shortened]... ous, which allows him to handwave criticism as mere misrepresentations of his views." [rationalwiki]
    I saw this after I made the previous post. I didn't know that, one gets more of an sense that he's an atheist looking in from the outside than a former believer watching the videos.
  2. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    09 Jun '19 09:31
    @deepthought said
    I've watched the first two of his series on the psychological meaning of scripture. Firstly, I think FMF's friend has Petersen's position more or less right. Secondly, I really do not think that you can dismiss this as spiritually sterile, and he is certainly not doing it on the basis that it is "brand favourable". These talks are each between one and a half and two an ...[text shortened]... rable depth. Frankly, he's paid more attention to scripture than half the Christians on this forum.
    Im not as well versed in Peterson as either FMF, FMF’s friend or yourself so I’m just speculating based on what I do know and what had been presented in this thread. I find the descriptions in the OP, as interpreted by FMF’s friend, for me to be spitballs sterile. This is my subjective opinion and it is valid for me even if you disagree. I am not “dismissing” any of it. As for Peterson’s stance being “brand favourable” if he’s an atheist pretending to be a conventional Christian, then I would stand by him positioning himself thus to appear more favourable to potential consumers of his material. I welcome his biblical exegesis; he’s a smart guy and I have enjoyed listening to him on other topics on occasion.
  3. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    09 Jun '19 11:481 edit
    @FMF

Religion = Benny Hinn, Witness Lee, Pope so-and-so, Jehovah's Witnesses, Jimmy Swaggart, Pat Robinson, corporate churches, political donations, ostracization, discrimination, Mike Pence, etc. etc.

Religion = Christian faith, concepts of "sin", "forgiveness", "salvation", love for Jesus etc.

Which sense of the word "religion" do you think divegeester has in mind?

My simple point stands regardless. Just because he can criticize they, others, them, anyone ... vociferously, doesn't necessarily make him one bit better.

My remark was about his confident boast that he is a "vociferous critic of religion."

Their about a dime every two dozen of so.
  4. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    09 Jun '19 11:561 edit
    I've heard some of Jordan Peterson. He's a man still searching imo.
    He comes at the right time saying some things which need to be said.

Lot of people want to claim him as their man. Yet he's really quite independent, in nobody's ideological pocket that much.
  5. Standard memberSecondSon
    Sinner
    Saved by grace
    Moves
    09 Jun '19 12:23
    @fmf said
    Jordan Peterson is an atheist who thinks it is good for "society" if people like you believe what you do.
    Kind of an understatement considering that Jesus said the church is the salt of the earth.

When there are no more Christians the world will spiral into chaos exactly as the Bible says. Watch and see. May even happen in your lifetime.
  6. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    09 Jun '19 12:322 edits
    Jordan Peterson is really smart and very intelligent. He is naturally gifted.

But I am afraid that he might be caught in the trap that so many people of reputation find themselves in - caring more for the admiration of men then the approval of God.

How can you believe, when you receive glory from one another and do not seek the glory that is from the only God? (John 5:44)

For they loved the glory of men more than the glory of God. (John 12:43)

It is a mercy when very popular and intelligent persons with up and coming fame can humble themselves to be identified with the Lord Jesus. Clout and reputation they may lose.

Some can make the step out of the world's spotlight into the hands of the Good Shepherd Jesus. More cannot bear the thought of being demoted by the world fame to a mere sheep in the flock of Jesus.

Pray for Jordan Peterson, Christians.
  7. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    09 Jun '19 14:46
    @sonship said
    My remark was about his confident boast that he is a "vociferous critic of religion."
    Yes but what sense of the word "religion" is divegeester using. He is a vociferous critic. It's a fact. How is a "confident boast"?
  8. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    09 Jun '19 14:47
    @sonship said
    Jordan Peterson is really smart and very intelligent. He is naturally gifted.

But I am afraid that he might be caught in the trap that so many people of reputation find themselves in - caring more for the admiration of men then the approval of God.

[quote] How can you believe, when you receive glory from one another and do not seek the glory that is from the only God ...[text shortened]... by the world fame to a mere sheep in the flock of Jesus.

Pray for Jordan Peterson, Christians.
    What do you make of Jordan Peterson's definition of "God"?
  9. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    09 Jun '19 14:48
    @sonship said
    He is an atheist; why would he seek "the approval of God"?
  10. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    10 Jun '19 01:061 edit
    @FMF

I already gave an opinion.

I've heard some of Jordan Peterson. He's a man still searching imo.

His definition of God seems to me that of a man still groping, seeking, contemplating, not knowing quite what to do with God.

Someone said they thought the "Lord's prayer" sounded like a Christian's prayer just before dying. That's funny. I thought it was a good prayer for a Christian waiting for his cloths to dry in the laundry mat.
  11. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    10 Jun '19 01:203 edits
    @FMF
    Read the sentence again.

He is an atheist; why would he seek "the approval of God"?

You twisted a bit. I said he may be in the trap of caring more for the admiration of men than the approval of God. That would imply that right now he may not be concerned or less concerned about having a personal relationship with God. All friendly personal relationships depend on mutual approval.

Why would you expect every thought of his to be identical to yours?
    The evolution he may be undergoing might be completely different from your thinking.

I have not heard Jordan Peterson say so clearly that he was an atheist. Maybe he is. I haven't heard every talk he gave.

Secondly, the "definition of God" is someone's interpretation ("personal summary" ) of Peterson's philosophy as far as he could see.

Do you have Peterson definitely saying "Here is my definition of God" ?

What do you think about your friend's take on what he thinks would be Peterson's formal definition of God?
  12. S. Korea
    Moves
    10 Jun '19 02:55
    I'd like to see sources for the assertions in the OP. I am not doubting that your friend watched this stuff, but I think that JBP is purposefully evasive in defining God and does not actually have any place where he says he absolutely doesn't believe in a personal God, nor is there any place where he says he absolutely does believe in a personal God, but much of his posturing leans towards the latter.

Honestly, I find the topic to be very interesting and fun, and encourage anyone to link to any quotes that get us closer to some definitive answer to his views on these things.
  13. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    10 Jun '19 03:113 edits
    @Philokalia

I prefer listening to Jordan Peterson rather then Sam Harris.

Like atheist Anthony Flew, who finally decided to go Deist, I think Peterson may still have something of an open heart to God as a living Person. If Alistar McGrath or C.S. Lewis could turn from their atheism to praying to, ie. "My Father, Father God" so could Professor Jordan Peterson.
  14. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    10 Jun '19 03:55
    @sonship said
    I said he may be in the trap of caring more for the admiration of men than the approval of God.
    But he's an atheist. Why would he care about seeking "the approval of God"?
  15. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    10 Jun '19 03:58
    @philokalia said
    I think that JBP is purposefully evasive in defining God and does not actually have any place where he says he absolutely doesn't believe in a personal God
    Yes. He has. He has said that his answer to the questions are you a Christian? and do you believe in God? is "No".

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree