1. S. Korea
    Moves
    10 Jun '19 03:59
    @fmf said
    Yes. He has. He has said that his answer to the questions are you a Christian? and do you believe in God? is "No".
    Would you provide me a link to that?
  2. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    10 Jun '19 04:00
    @sonship said
    I prefer listening to Jordan Peterson rather then Sam Harris.
    Is that because you are more inclined to agree with Jordan Peterson than Sam Harris?

I think I may be wired differently from you. I prefer reading newspapers I disagree with. I prefer listening to news commentary or podcasts I disagree with more than ones I agree with.
  3. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    10 Jun '19 04:03
    @philokalia said
    Would you provide me a link to that?
    If you're not interested in what Jordan Peterson has said about himself and about his stance on his own lack of belief in God and you're sat in front of your computer and not even curious enough to look it up or look into it, then "I think the proper response to that is 'No'".
  4. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    10 Jun '19 04:071 edit
    @sonship said
    Some can make the step out of the world's spotlight into the hands of the Good Shepherd Jesus. More cannot bear the thought of being demoted by the world fame to a mere sheep in the flock of Jesus. Pray for Jordan Peterson, Christians.
    I wonder what he makes of being condescended to by joyless, sanctimonious religious zealots in the wake of him conceding that he doesn't believe in their God figure. Not much, I reckon.
  5. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    10 Jun '19 04:14
    @sonship said
    Lot of people want to claim him as their man.
    I find him interesting when he talks about things from the point of view of psychology and his admiration for religion and his belief that it is absolutely vital for human society - I find that all interesting.

I think he is undoubtedly very knowledgable about the Christian religion and his championing of the role it plays is valid and insightful.

But in other ways, I think he is a bit of charlatan who is winging it with his mish-mash of rightwing nostrums, pseudo-science and sloppy substandard pseudo-academic behaviour.

I think the undoing of him will be when he seeks to be too much of a pretentious pundit on matters outside his field of expertise.
  6. S. Korea
    Moves
    10 Jun '19 04:29
    @fmf said
    Is that because you are more inclined to agree with Jordan Peterson than Sam Harris?

I think I may be wired differently from you. I prefer reading newspapers I disagree with. I prefer listening to news commentary or podcasts I disagree with more than ones I agree with.
    You will look forward to my podcast, then. ^^
  7. S. Korea
    Moves
    10 Jun '19 04:31
    @fmf said
    If you're not interested in what Jordan Peterson has said about himself and about his stance on his own lack of belief in God and you're sat in front of your computer and not even curious enough to look it up or look into it, then "I think the proper response to that is 'No'".
    I am interested in Jordan Peterson. I meant to watch his debate with Zizek.

I've wathced a lot of his videos -- particularly in 2016. But, I am not watching him so much now.

So, you do not have a video or an article to link to where he makes a clear statement to the effect of what you mentioned..?
  8. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    10 Jun '19 04:40
    @philokalia said
    I've wathced a lot of his videos -- particularly in 2016. But, I am not watching him so much now.
    He revealed that he did not believe in God in 2018. So, if your curiosity about him ended in 2016, then you wouldn't realize that.
  9. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    10 Jun '19 04:45
    @philokalia said
    You will look forward to my podcast, then.
    Judging by your persona and content on these forums, I doubt you would make a good podcaster unless you had some completely different fare to purvey. I help to make three weekly radio programmes back in Britain but their content and direction have got absolutely nothing to do with what gets talked about here. I think the stuff I post here would not make a good podcast.
  10. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    10 Jun '19 04:50
    @sonship said
    His definition of God seems to me that of a man still groping, seeking, contemplating, not knowing quite what to do with God.
    He is slapping the label "God" onto descriptions of the human condition at its best, as it has evolved to be. I think he persists with the label "God" because he strongly believes that belief in "God" has been of great benefit and a crucial influence for humanity, which - because I am not the chip-spitting eternally furious Crusades-mentioning atheist sonhouse - I can agree with.
  11. S. Korea
    Moves
    10 Jun '19 04:51
    @fmf said
    He revealed that he did not believe in God in 2018. So, if your curiosity about him ended in 2016, then you wouldn't realize that.
    When asked if he believes in God, Peterson responded: "I think the proper response to that is No, but I'm afraid He might exist".[9]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jordan_Peterson

For anyone who wanted to see the actual thing and not just FMF talking about it.
  12. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    10 Jun '19 05:031 edit
    @philokalia said
    When asked if he believes in God, Peterson responded: "I think the proper response to that is No, but I'm afraid He might exist".[9]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jordan_Peterson

For anyone who wanted to see the actual thing and not just FMF talking about it.
    That's the one. And ever since he admitted it, it has been a new context for the ideas he expresses.

https://nationalpost.com/feature/christie-blatchford-sits-down-with-warrior-for-common-sense-jordan-peterson
  13. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    10 Jun '19 05:231 edit
    Extraordinarily hardboiled hedging in a logical fallacy sauce.

Supposed secrecy about his faith, in harness with a huge strawman about how not being secret about his faith would be "triumphantly declaring" something [which no one is asking him to do] = definite signs of floundering and de facto dishonesty. Does he believe in God? 2018. No. Do you believe in God Jordan? 2019. ...

YouTube
  14. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    10 Jun '19 05:29
    "Although Peterson frequently makes morally questionable claims and engages in pseudoscience, his statements are notoriously ambiguous, which allows him to handwave criticism as mere misrepresentations of his views." [rationalwiki]
  15. Standard memberDeepThought
    Losing the Thread
    Quarantined World
    Moves
    10 Jun '19 05:42
    @philokalia said
    I am interested in Jordan Peterson. I meant to watch his debate with Zizek.

So, you do not have a video or an article to link to where he makes a clear statement to the effect of what you mentioned..?
    The debate is on Petersen's YouTube channel. I think I saw Zizek do a talk about ten years ago, assuming it's the same person, he's pretty smart so I think the discussion could be well worth watching.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree