Illusions opinions reality

Illusions opinions reality

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Walk your Faith

USA

Moves
07 Apr 19

@fmf said
I get that. But I am asking you to suggest two or three "serious" consequeces for me for not sharing your opinions about reality and your religious beliefs?
Why don’t you start a thread with that question being the center of the discussion?

Walk your Faith

USA

Moves
07 Apr 19

@fmf said
And it's your prerogative to speculate and express your personal opinions about the nature of that "reality".
Why thank you for that!

F

Moves
07 Apr 19

@kellyjay said
Why don’t you start a thread with that question being the center of the discussion?
It's a direct engagement of something you have said on THIS thread and THIS discussion. Why dodge it?

F

Moves
07 Apr 19
1 edit

@kellyjay said
If you are happy with your beliefs, and they are working for you good.

Is this the measure, the only meaningful way to look at life?
OP: If you are happy with your beliefs, and they are working for you good. Is this the measure, the only meaningful way to look at life?

If your beliefs make you unhappy and they are not working for you, in what way do you think they are going to be "meaningful"?

Quiz Master

RHP Arms

Moves
07 Apr 19

@kellyjay said
I'm not the one saying that truth is personally molded here to suit my views or yours, I'm saying that type of thing is limited to opinions. Reality is not dependent upon me, and would be what it is with or without me. There is only reality, you can say material reality, or spiritual reality, but neither of those words take away or add to the truth of reality, they are just ...[text shortened]... simply when we line up our views with reality, it is us conforming to it, not the other way around.
I entered this discussion to demonstrate that as Caljust says, Truth is subjective.

Any fool would agree that reality is not.

And defining Truth to your own world view
for the purpose of this debate is quite deceitful.

C
It is what it is

Pretoria

Moves
07 Apr 19

@wolfgang59 said
I entered this discussion to demonstrate that as Caljust says, Truth is subjective.

Any fool would agree that reality is not
Sorry to disagree with you, Wolfgang, but reality is also filtered through our senses (or instruments) and perceptions and interpreted in terms of our past experiences, so in that sense it is relative and subjective.

Is the reality of an autistic boy the same as yours and mine?

The Matrix probably had it right - this could all be a dream and I am not really typing this but having a nightmare!

Moves
07 Apr 19

@wolfgang59 said

A slight digression, but passed by a coffee shop on my way to Wood Green yesterday (North London) and had a small chuckle to see it was called 'The Truth.' (No joke).

How splendid life would truly be if 'truth' did indeed linger in a large cappuccino.

T

Moves
07 Apr 19
2 edits

@caljust said
Sorry to disagree with you, Wolfgang, but reality is also filtered through our senses (or instruments) and perceptions and interpreted in terms of our past experiences, so in that sense it is relative and subjective.

The Matrix probably had it right - this could all be a dream and I am not really typing this but having a nightmare!

You seem to be conflating reality with perception of reality.

BTW, there's nothing wrong with using the word "truth" as synonymous with "reality".

In which case the reality would be that it's all a dream and you were having a nightmare.

How would this not also be about perception of reality rather than reality itself?

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
07 Apr 19

@ghost-of-a-duke said
There is no God.

If believing in God helps someone cope with life's challenges and gives them hope and comfort then that can only be a good thing. Some people seek such comfort in a bottle of gin. Not such a good thing.
I consider myself an athiest but must admit lying on that operating table ( awake) having 3 stents fitted I did pray.

Walk your Faith

USA

Moves
07 Apr 19

@fmf said
It's a direct engagement of something you have said on THIS thread and THIS discussion. Why dodge it?
Start your own thread asking the important questions you have.

Walk your Faith

USA

Moves
07 Apr 19
1 edit

@wolfgang59 said

Truth will always line up with reality, it will always be confirmed not altered with new information. Our opinions are not always reliable, when we look at reality, we don't always get it right, so suggesting truth is subjective falls on its face.

Walk your Faith

USA

Moves
07 Apr 19

@thinkofone said

You seem to be conflating reality with perception of reality.

BTW, there's nothing wrong with using the word "truth" as synonymous with "reality ...[text shortened]... and mine?[/b]

How would this not also be about perception of reality rather than reality itself?
Well said

Walk your Faith

USA

Moves
07 Apr 19

@fmf said
Because this is all you ever do, attempt to turn subject back to one thing, not about the truth of a matter instead what "we" think about them, our views of a thing not the thing itself.

F

Moves
07 Apr 19

@kellyjay said
Start your own thread asking the important questions you have.
My question is about what you said in your second post on page 1.

F

Moves
07 Apr 19

@kellyjay said
Because this is all you ever do, attempt to turn subject back to one thing, not about the truth of a matter instead what "we" think about them, our views of a thing not the thing itself.
Don't run away from the conversation.